Close
One second...

Critique on design up for voting...

I'm just wondering what everyone's thoughts are on a design I have up for voting right now. I've scored decent with my other designs but none of them have made it to print. I'm hoping this one makes it. Thanks for the comments! I will really appreciate them :D

http://www.threadless.com/threadless/thats-how-its-made/

Watch this
melmike
1 design submitted - Score now!

I don't think it's going to make it to print, but that's okay, every design is one step closer. I'm sure there's a joke in here somewhere, but I don't get it. Also, the lines seem kinda blurry and the colours are too dull for my taste. That being said, the sentiment is nice and the dad bulb is pretty cute, so there's that going for it.

estebanwhitmore

I like your style! The drawings could bear to be polished a bit, but the overall personality is quite appealing. As to the concept, the visual connection between the fluorescent bulb and the ice cream cone is there, but it's still a really odd connection, something that isn't very intuitive, and making them a family doesn't do a lot to enhance it.

itispond

very cute design....well done!

badbasilisk

seems like somebody had this idea too ...

tabbycat_04

yeah i just got told about that. unfortunately that design is way too similar to mine so i doubt it will get printed :(

melmike

ahhhh, yeah, the concept is actually instantly understandable and funny on the real design.

I'm sorry, but I just don't buy that you never saw this beforehand. Not withstanding that the legs and arms are identical in shape and proportion, two people wouldn't have hit on the dad holding a pipe in the exact same way too.

Case in point:

You asked for advice in the other thread. Here's some... own up to this, you'll re-establish your credibility and you'll be forgiven. Then don't do it again.

Strnks

Oh wow, that is blatant. Busted.

Strnks

Well done for putting together that gif Mike. Nailed it.

tabbycat_04

i actually added the pipe cause the energy bulb is suppose to be their baby. hence the binky in the baby lightbulb's mouth. i drew the dad smoking a pipe instead of a cigar cause the cigar didn't look right. if i have seen it before i honestly don't remember it. but i have admitted they are too similar and it will not go into print. i'm sorry for the misunderstanding i really truly am

Strnks

That's not just that you've seen the concept before – you've exactly traced the precise shape and position of their legs! Come on – admit you got caught out.

Abstract Matter

1) Why do people ask for crits AFTER they sub their designs? 2) Why do people steal designs and then refuse to admit it when the evidence is shoved under their nose? 3) Coming up with an idea that's been done? That's viable. But recreating the exact same composition and posing without ever having seen the original? Not so much.

Gamma-Ray

yeah the legs are spot on, hahha. just own up, hehe

tabbycat_04

I just got onto my threadless and realized my account was hacked by my ex. I'm so sorry about this! I'm considering deleting my account or asking for a new password since he has my old one. you all are CORRECT this is copied COMPLETELY!!!! I just saw this design on facebook! I'm really really sorry about all this. I had no idea till I got up this morning :( I don't believe in copying other artist's work. I'm so sorry about all this. I found these threads and I didn't post in them at all. he even deleted stuff on my profile. I'm EXTREMELY EXTREMELY sorry about all this drama!!

Morkki

Yeeeeeah. Sure.

Abstract Matter

HAHAHAHA OH MY GOD

You get caught, then about 3 seconds later you happen to 'realise you got hacked by your ex' Are you a child? I didn't realise 6 year olds came on this site?

tabbycat_04

You would have to know my ex. I'm changing my password and contacting Threadless by email right now and letting them know to delete this design. And I am truly sorry :(

melmike
tabbycat_04 said:

I just got onto my threadless and realized my account was hacked by my ex. I'm so sorry about this! I'm considering deleting my account or asking for a new password since he has my old one. you all are CORRECT this is copied COMPLETELY!!!! I just saw this design on facebook! I'm really really sorry about all this. I had no idea till I got up this morning :( I don't believe in copying other artist's work. I'm so sorry about all this. I found these threads and I didn't post in them at all. he even deleted stuff on my profile. I'm EXTREMELY EXTREMELY sorry about all this drama!!

celandinestern

one of the best pieces of advice I've ever received is 'when you're in a hole, stop digging'. So please, stop digging. Delete the damn thing and start over, with your own work. People here will not hold grudges. But we are not morons and we do not like thieves.

Morkki

Yes indeedy. Your evil ex spent time to rip off a design, subbed it under your account and waited for someone to notice. This is entirely believable.

Daviisilva

Waaaaaaat! hahahahahahah

tabbycat_04

I'm going to delete my profile completely by the look of it. I'm not trying to get out of anything. My ex knew a lot of my passwords. I just don't want to be judged by something he's done :(

melmike

The funny thing is, it's not an unforgivable sin. It's usually just a matter acknowledgment, a quick apology and then, as long as it doesn't happen again, it's forgotten in no time. Even big names have been caught out from time to time.

Now I'm ont saying your story can't be true, but it seems like every other time in a situation like this, as soon as the evidence is presented, the story suddenly changes and it often involves a friend or a boyfriend or a girlfriend who's at fault, so you'll excuse us if we act like we've heard it all before.

Morkki

So when exactly did your ex "hack" your account? Because the drawing style here is in line with your earlier subs and you've also used that same shirt template before.

celandinestern

also it would be the weirdest, most impractical and all-around dumbest form of revenge ever.

occam's razor indicates you thought you could get away with some liberal borrowing of someone else's cute style, you overdid it, and now you're mortified and backpedaling. It's not the end of the world. You can delete your account and start over with a new one, but frankly no one is going to be giving this much thought as soon as you take the thing down.

One thing is certain though - we'd all respect you a whole lot more if you just said 'yeah I fucked up you guys, I'm sorry. Don't know what I was thinking'. Then just move on like it never was. And don't do it again.

itispond
melmike said:

but it seems like every other time in a situation like this, as soon as the evidence is presented, the story suddenly changes and it often involves a friend or a boyfriend or a girlfriend who's at fault, so you'll excuse us if we act like we've heard it all before.

and small brother...don't forget small brother.

Jake Friedman

In fairness, when me and my girlfriend broke up, she too poorly copied a design, submitted it to threadless under my account and then posted a blog about that design.

Man, she was something else- great in bed, but also the living embodiment of copyright infringement.

In fact, I might give her a call this later and see what she's up to. Oh yes, that's right, I can't because she never existed.

snoopy1973

that made my day...let's see if the ex starts a thread now to explain what he did ;-) Hope it has a good ending.

Strnks

Hahahaha!!!

tabbycat_04 said:

This is hilarious. Keep going, please, I want to see what you come up with next. Genuinely. This is really funny stuff!

Shadyjibes

Stop being a jerk

Shadyjibes

^My ex posted that.

Shadyjibes

lol i meant my previous comment :D

tabbycat_04

If that's what you guys want to hear. Sure fine i screwed up. If that's what you guys want to hear. No matter what I say I'm going to be judged because of what people have done in the past. So okay I screwed up and messed up and I am sorry.

taz-pie

the quesion is.... was your ex planning on letting you keep the money if "your design" actually won??

ZOMGHAXXORED

tabbycat_04

I just said I screwed up and apologized for the wrongdoing. I'm sorry.

ivanrodero

LOOOOOL this was a great way to start my day :^)

Strnks
tabbycat_04 said:

If that's what you guys want to hear. Sure fine i screwed up. If that's what you guys want to hear. No matter what I say I'm going to be judged because of what people have done in the past. So okay I screwed up and messed up and I am sorry.

Ooh! Ooh! I spoke a little conversational bullshit at school; I'll try to translate.

"If that's what you guys want to hear, I got caught red handed and my bullshit excuse wasn't believed, so okay I can make this half-assed apology, if it's what you guys want to hear."

Gamma-Ray

c'mon guys, this is exactly like the film Inception! her ex planted the original idea in her mind and then she woke up and designed this design. Now hows that for revenge!!!

tabbycat_04

I've apologized again and again on this matter. I MESSED UP!!! I MADE A MISTAKE!!!! And I AM TRULY TRULY SORRY for this major mistake. I was told that people on here don't hold grudges. And I really hope that is true. It was my mistake no one else's and it wasn't right.

itispond
tabbycat_04 said:

I've apologized again and again on this matter. I MESSED UP!!! I MADE A MISTAKE!!!! And I AM TRULY TRULY SORRY for this major mistake. I was told that people on here don't hold grudges. And I really hope that is true. It was my mistake no one else's and it wasn't right.

But who's comment is this?

celandinestern

heh, I suppose it's difficult to expect someone exhibiting juvenile behavior to make a 180 degree turn during the course of a single thread.

my last word of advice, as I'm not finding this super entertaining so I probably won't be stepping in again. What you do only affects you, and only reflects on you. We don't matter. This is the internet, none of us know each other. We're not the ones you have to live with. But you do need to have a good relationship with yourself. You think you're saving face somehow, but you're just making it worse for yourself. This thread will run a while longer and then it will die and nobody will ever remember it existed. All of us in here will not be touched in any way. Most of us are here because we're bored at work and killing time. But you are in a unique position - you have the chance to learn something, and to change something. You don't need to demonstrate it here and now. Just think it through and remember that in art, you're only worth as much as your ideas. If you are driven to create - as all of us are here - you will bring yourself great joy by trying ever harder and making original things. Creation is its own reward. Art theft is just failure, in every creative sense.

celandinestern
tabbycat_04 said:

If that's just you saying 'yes I copied the design, yes I thought I could get away with it, yes I lied to try and cover it up, yes I'm sorry and I plan to never do it again', then that's really all you need to do - now just go forth and draw something original :)

Matter done and dusted.

If that's the imaginary boyfriend cutting in again then hand out some more popcorn to the guys since the show's gonna roll on :)

tabbycat_04

It's me. And I did try to cover it up. I am very very sorry. And I promise that I will never do anything like this again. Something original from now on. I'm sorry to all of you :( I've learnt my lesson big time.

melmike

It's fine, really. You've learned your lesson good and proper, so you're not likely to do it again, and like it was said above, we'll all forget about this tomorrow if you just let this thread die.

celandinestern

Yep. Move on, learn, go forth and draw :) It's way more fun when you finally make something all by yourself that you're really proud of, you'll see.

jeffreyg
jeffreyg profile pic Staff

you single?

Torakamikaze

Back off, Jeff. She's mine!

muscle flexing

vectored_life
jeffreyg said:

you single?

Torakamikaze said:

Back off, Jeff. She's mine!

muscle flexing

You guys knock it off! Back to the original question!

The answer is yes, you did say you loved poodles!

No account?