Close
One second...

Design Got Rejected. Is this worth pursuing any further?

Any criticism is welcome!

Watch this
melmike
melmike profile pic Alumni

This would require an huge level of skill to pull this off. Going only on the fact that you submitted this, I'm not convinced you're up to the task. Sorry.

3lines
3lines profile pic Alumni

Well, this is ugly. The smoke looks like a blurry ribbon. The gradient background has too harsh a gradation on the edges to be anything to me but some kind of TV screen look. The Train is beginner shape-building. The use of some very obvious entry-level filters is all over this thing. The stark black is not helping in the color scheme at all. It's very up and down - not much of the subtle things that reveal skill.

Don't worry about using all the software's fancy hooks. Get good at your drawing and refining the drawing. Don't be afraid to really be confident – even in the face of harsh criticism. You're worth it and you're better than this thing you've submitted. Truly, you are.

The concept is alright. I've seen worse ideas get printed. The illustrative technique is what comes with practice and more practice. You were once making lesser images than this and soon you'll be making better images than this. Be patient. You'll only grow.

If it's what you want, you'll grow as an illustrator. Illustration is just applying yourself to the tools and using them effectively. It takes time. Hard work and time. That's the ticket to the soul train.

benmloy

Thanks for the advice! I reworked this design using the same concept this afternoon. What do you think?

melmike
melmike profile pic Alumni

Yeah, it's not working for me. You got some great advice up there. I suggest picking up some pencils, pens or paintbrushes and building up your skills.

Wharton
Wharton profile pic Alumni

The clouds really aren't working, pick up some explosion or cloud photoshop brushes and experiment painting and erasing them to get a better effect.

lecollazo

I kind of like the main idea. I think you just need to keep working on it.

dnice25
dnice25 profile pic Alumni

I think you should do this in illustrator or draw it if possible but using the initial concept with the train and the smoke stack. The smoke stack/mustache could have more of a feel like this image. I think this would translate your idea a little better.

agud

Following up on what dnice25, I think your design would be more interesting if you had a pencil/pen style.

Aberleigh

Don't use gradients. I think I should just start copy and pasting this. Most designs on here are otherwise well drawn- just drop the gradients.

benmloy
dnice25 said:

I think you should do this in illustrator or draw it if possible but using the initial concept with the train and the smoke stack. The smoke stack/mustache could have more of a feel like this image. I think this would translate your idea a little better.

Is this closer to what you were talking about? Or should I alter the moon as well?

macdoodle
macdoodle profile pic Alumni

I kinda like the concept but the execution needs work. There are some great illustrators on here that may be up for collaborating with you if that's a route you'd consider.

JamieJuice

hey bro, I've just recently started designing t shirts myself, and just sent my first design off on here. I like the where you're going with idea, not quite there yet in my opinion. what usually helps me when creating anything like lyrics, art, poems etc is scetching general concepts, then putting them to one side, and start on something else, the reason being because I know that even if the design isn't very good at first, I usually find a way to blend the idea in with another idea somewhere down the line, or improve it when i'm technically better at drawing etc. for me i always get over excited when i come up with what i think is a great design or idea. then looking back later and thinking hmm maybe i should tweak it a bit or what if i put a hat on the character for example.. just keep trying different things with it, let it grow as you grow as an artist, i'm sure it's gonna look dope eventually, no rush ;)

khavall

It's absolutely worth pursuing. The idea is good its just the execution. One thing to keep in mind when doing this is that everything should look like it belongs. You shouldn't have conflicting styles. In the original you had a line drawing, a train that looked copy and pasted, completely different style, and the smoke and background match nothing else in the drawing. Instead of using every tool in the program you can find, try limiting yourself to one. The smoke, the moon, the train would all look much nicer if they looked like they belonged together. Just draw them with the same tool. Something along the art style of the mustache d nice posted would go great with the drawing. Try another stab at it.

AngelOfWolves
khavall said:

It's absolutely worth pursuing. The idea is good its just the execution. One thing to keep in mind when doing this is that everything should look like it belongs. You shouldn't have conflicting styles. In the original you had a line drawing, a train that looked copy and pasted, completely different style, and the smoke and background match nothing else in the drawing. Instead of using every tool in the program you can find, try limiting yourself to one. The smoke, the moon, the train would all look much nicer if they looked like they belonged together. Just draw them with the same tool. Something along the art style of the mustache d nice posted would go great with the drawing. Try another stab at it.

I agree with Khavall, it just looks like you are using all the available Ps tools instead of using your own hand. I am not much of a designer myself but i try not to use too many 'special' effects tools...like the smudge tool (e.g. design no.2). And the design with the mustache..i say work on it a bit more...you can see that you took that one picture and pretty much changed it's perspective to look like..i'm guessing... smoke and clouds, but it doesn't quite give it a pleasant over-all
So, yeah, concept nice..poor execution ("Ideas are great but they are far less valuable than good execution." - Evan Bailyn)

benmloy

Haha looking at this now I realize I had no idea what I was doing. Thanks for the feedback guys! I took a bit of a break and refined my design and painting skills (along with investing in some well needed equipment).

tohellandback

can i ask you what are you doing in your avatar? i need to try that pose too.

c-royal
c-royal profile pic Alumni

I like the idea. Don't give up.

benmloy

It's owling yo. Basically the cool people version of planking. X)

tohellandback said:

tohellandback
benmloy said:

It's owling yo. Basically the cool people version of planking. X)

tohellandback said:

good to know. i'll try it on the next full moon then.

No account?
Join Us