Close
One second...

Captain America... now with tutorial video!

So this is the WIP for my Cap design. The idea is that it will be quasi based on this classic scene were he's explaining to Spidey why he's standing up for what he believes in, even though the whole country is against him.

I spent a couple of hours pencilling out the initial sketch. It's gonna be back lit, with more muted colours and strong highlights and shadows. Because I just love comic book rain so much I'm going to have a go at that, blending the whole thing into the tee. Also, I think it really fits with the idea of the hero standing firm in the face of a storm.

In terms of his body structure,I'm going for more of a realistic interpretation, although I'll no doubt beef him up a touch here and there.

The title is based on this scene where he meets Thanos, who's just used all the power in the universe to kill 50% of all life, but Cap walks right up to him and is all like, "fuck you, purple man, you ain't won yet."

And I'm finished...Hey, it's on navy now! It just felt ore 'Cap', and I think the colours pop more.

To everyone who subbed to this challenge, good luck true believers!

Watch this
Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
[+duracell-]

hes sad he cant fly i bet

Kudaman

eh the thumbnail is too small :P

mip1980
mip1980 profile pic Alumni
1 design submitted -

This is looking totally awesome, cant wait to see the finished piece

nikoby
nikoby profile pic Alumni

Looking good thus far.

Christina.A.art

Sweet looking forward to update! :)

P0ckets
P0ckets profile pic Alumni

Oo animated chest! And much more PG than most animated chests on the internet. The texturing's looking great

Strnks

Love this. Really great starting point – looks like it'll be totally different to a lot of the other Captain America challenge submissions.

Good luck!

Kudaman

Looking good! :)

melmike
melmike profile pic Alumni

Thanks guys!

@Strnks, that's the plan!

melmike

So I'm recording my process again on this one, but people have asked me to do it as a tutorial, so that's what I'm thinking.

Is there anything specific that people want me to cover with regards to making this kind of design? Can be anything really.

blackhand_
blackhand_ profile pic Alumni

I'm still mad that your Thor design didn't get selected. Pearls before swine, man.

dnice25
dnice25 profile pic Alumni

Can't wait to see this finished man. Cap is my favorite avenger!!!

melmike
kuro_te said:

I'm still mad that your Thor design didn't get selected. Pearls before swine, man.

Thanks Paul, that's really kind of you to say. I suppose I'm allowed to say now that it did get selected for possible wholesale print, but yeah, I was disappointed in the selection for Hulk, FF and Thor... not for myself, but coz in my opinion they missed so many killers and printed so many questionables. For my money the Ironman and spidey range stand heads and shoulders above these 3 collections.

P0ckets
P0ckets profile pic Alumni
melmike said:

So I'm recording my process again on this one, but people have asked me to do it as a tutorial, so that's what I'm thinking.

Is there anything specific that people want me to cover with regards to making this kind of design? Can be anything really.

If you end up doing something similar to your 10,000 degrees or Thor design, I'd be really interested to see how you contort textures into the shapes you want - unless that's a Melmike trade secret!

Otherwise I'd be interested to know what kind of brushes you're using - the work so far looks like painstaking hatching type work? Also, perhaps an obvious one, but whether you're drawing straight into Photoshop, or using another program like Mangastudio etc for the linework/texturing. Cheers!

thompson98
melmike said:
kuro_te said:

Thanks Paul, that's really kind of you to say. I suppose I'm allowed to say now that it did get selected for possible wholesale print, but yeah, I was disappointed in the selection for Hulk, FF and Thor... not for myself, but coz in my opinion they missed so many killers and printed so many questionables. For my money the Ironman and spidey range stand heads and shoulders above these 3 collections.

i thought i was the only one who thought that. your thor design was killer. i was surprised it didnt print. alot of questionable ones in the hulk collection. i would only pick about 4 from that collection. anyways, love this new design. good luck!

melmike

Yeah, Hulk and Thor had I think some of the best subs I've seen yet, but only a few printed... sigh.

@P0ckets, hmmm, maybe one day, once I've done more, but yeah, since I haven't seen anyone else doing it, might keep that one a mystery for now.

As for brushes, yep I plan on going through that. It's all in PS from start to finish.

38Sunsets
38Sunsets profile pic Alumni
7 designs submitted - Score now!
melmike said:
kuro_te said:

one word: talent*

*I mean you are talented and many of your designs could be easily printed - pity they are not I have seen comments on the web that is hell difficult to be printed on Threadless. And it seams to be true. No wonder - thousands of subs, hundreds of cool designs. .... but to the point: if you continue to sub your talent here you'll be soon next thread star ;)

Mr Rocks
Mr Rocks profile pic Alumni

am yet to start mine but I found some killer reference...

mohacsy
mohacsy profile pic Alumni

nice, makes me wish shirt designs were animated:)

melmike

hehe, I think I can see Captain Canada's knob

Pyne
Pyne profile pic Alumni

Wow, wow, wow! This is gonna be incredible

melmike

Still laying down the 'base coat'... gotta get moving on this one so I can get onto Threadwars.

caspertheghost

I still don't know how you make such good looking designs. Keep up the good work man!

melmike
caspertheghost said:

I still don't know how you make such good looking designs. Keep up the good work man!

Thanks, I'm hoping that's what the tutorial video will reveal ; )

dampa
dampa profile pic Alumni
1 design submitted -

this is awesome

melmike

starting to take shape now...

Strnks

Can't wait to see this. Will it be on a charcoal grey tee?

tjvergara

effin' awesome!

melmike

cheers guys! yeah, the plan is to keep it on charcoal, usually I'd do this kind of tee on black, but this felt right to me, and something different is always good. Next I'll be putting in some subtle colouring next, including probably some black shading in behind to enhance the shadow... enhance the highlights, then it's on to the rain, which will kind of be like the overriding texture.

melmike

Time to get started on the background/rain... I'm thinking of a toned down version of this:

mip1980
mip1980 profile pic Alumni
1 design submitted -

RARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR this is going to be truly epic, keep the updates coming

Pyne
Pyne profile pic Alumni

Can't wait to see the final result- watching the progress gif is so addictive. I usually watch it a billion times whenever I open this blog. Seriously kickass work.

Weirdoboy
Weirdoboy profile pic Alumni

Another great process and I really like the backstory you've shared. Is that first panel from "Civil War"? Can't wait to drop a 5 on this!

melmike
Weirdoboy said:

Another great process and I really like the backstory you've shared. Is that first panel from "Civil War"? Can't wait to drop a 5 on this!

Thanks all! Yep, it's in one of the ASMs from the Civil War series. I'm actually re-reading them at the moment to keep me in the right mind frame. I was never all that much of a Cap fan before that series, but it taught me just how much of a boss he is.

nikoby

this is looking hot :O

melmike
nikoby said:

Thanks buddy, you still doing one?

PeculiarTiffany
PeculiarTiffany profile pic Alumni

This is looking amazing. Can't wait to see what you do with the rain!

nikoby
melmike said:
nikoby said:

Thanks buddy, you still doing one?

I am sad to say I gave up on this one. I just couldn't get happy with any of my concepts.

chuck p comics
chuck p comics profile pic Alumni

this is great, and standing up is very much affiliated with cap', it's very true to the comics. even in the new comics he constantly quotes "you always stand up"

gabras

Wow man, is an insane work so far

yortsiraulo
yortsiraulo profile pic Alumni

WOW. Looking forward to this. WOW

melmike

thanks guys! Sorry to hear that Nick... perhaps one day we shall meet in battle on Mount Threadwar...

melmike

It turns out I had no idea how to make the rain what I was thinking in my head, then I realised I wasn't really thinking anything, so after sleeping on it, I decided to stick with the rain from the sketch, but add splash points and a little bit of splatter.

I don't know guys, I think I'm done with this one. Sub it?

melmike

goliath72
goliath72 profile pic Alumni
2 designs submitted - Score now!

This is looking good

melmike said:

Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
No account?
Join Us