Close
One second...

crit my des

looking for any suggestions and/or critique

Watch this
fourLTRS

I don't get it. Why not say Atlantic or Pacific?

melmike
melmike profile pic Alumni

Please don't take this personally, but this is truly awful in every sense.

Zachonium

dont worry, i dont take anything personally. but i would like to know if you have a more specific critique of the design or concept beyond it being awful.

melmike said:

Please don't take this personally, but this is truly awful in every sense.

jmeaspls
jmeaspls profile pic Alumni

I'll try to be a bit more constructive. I'm glad you like Eric's work – I'm a huge fan myself – but you shouldn't obsess over it. Especially to the point that you start copying it as directly as you did here.

When you find stuff you like, you should think about what it is that you like about it. Then move on. You should work to develop your own style to contribute something new to the art community. Otherwise, what's the point, really?

Just think about if the design you posted here got printed. How do you think EZ would feel? Were I him, I'd feel a bit ripped off. Is that how you want someone you admire to think of you?

Morkki
Morkki profile pic Alumni

xiv's design is a parody of a certain style of postcards so he shouldn't feel ripped off:

That being said, the joke here isn't as fun and the typography isn't as tight or interesting.

melmike
melmike profile pic Alumni

When you tackle a vintage looking design like this, you've got to do it ironically. Such as Eric's, which is a throwback to the old travel postcards, the rub being, it's from outer space, which obviously wasn't a destination back in the day.

To make it work, Eric intentionally used some cheesy but time-appropriate fonts, and was careful to strike a balance between that vintage lack of sophistication and proper consideration of things like colour, composition and texture. I should say at this point that I personally don't much like this design of his, but as a designer, can easily recognise its merits and appeal.

On to yours. The composition is flat, static. There's no tension, no dynamism. The fonts you've chosen are similar in only the most superfluous way. The mix of styles between all the elements leaves it looking a mess, as appose to Eric's, which is just as complicated, but ultimately cohesive. The colours you've picked are garish and tacky.

Lastly, and this one is the most difficult to explain, but the 'pun', if you can call it that, more of a rhyme really, isn't any good. There's no such thing as 'The specific ocean'... so the basis of the design is meaningless, which is obviously a real problem, because the whole impact of it rests on that. If it were a great joke, people would view it ironically, and think the lack of sophistication was intentional... at the moment, the only conclusion to be drawn is that you aren't aware of what makes this unsophisticated. Hence, it's just a bad design.

jmeaspls

Morrki, you make a good point. But it still seems likely to me that he's ripping off of Eric's idea, rather than them both happening upon the same inspiration. Here's why I think this: this guy's profile picture is "ZV," he follows a single user (guess who), he has at least one other design that looks like xiv-gone-wrong, and his variation on the postcard theme lacks the though that actually makes it a good idea (see melmike's excellent analysis above). All of this shouts "that's a rip" to me.

jmeaspls

lacks the thought*

Morkki
Morkki profile pic Alumni

Maybe he's a fan of Eric's work but that doesn't really matter. Eric did not make this style his property by simply submitting one instance of it to Threadless. If the joke was the same then it would be a different thing.

Zachonium

thanks for the insights. this was an idea i needed to get out of my head. i didnt feel especially strong about it, just wanted to get some feedback from anyone who was interested. i have a few other designs ive been working on that ill post here soon, hopefully you could give me some critiques on them as well.

melmike said:

When you tackle a vintage looking design like this, you've got to do it ironically. Such as Eric's, which is a throwback to the old travel postcards, the rub being, it's from outer space, which obviously wasn't a destination back in the day.

To make it work, Eric intentionally used some cheesy but time-appropriate fonts, and was careful to strike a balance between that vintage lack of sophistication and proper consideration of things like colour, composition and texture. I should say at this point that I personally don't much like this design of his, but as a designer, can easily recognise its merits and appeal.

On to yours. The composition is flat, static. There's no tension, no dynamism. The fonts you've chosen are similar in only the most superfluous way. The mix of styles between all the elements leaves it looking a mess, as appose to Eric's, which is just as complicated, but ultimately cohesive. The colours you've picked are garish and tacky.

Lastly, and this one is the most difficult to explain, but the 'pun', if you can call it that, more of a rhyme really, isn't any good. There's no such thing as 'The specific ocean'... so the basis of the design is meaningless, which is obviously a real problem, because the whole impact of it rests on that. If it were a great joke, people would view it ironically, and think the lack of sophistication was intentional... at the moment, the only conclusion to be drawn is that you aren't aware of what makes this unsophisticated. Hence, it's just a bad design.

No account?
Join Us