MacBook advice?

I'm looking at getting a new computer in the near future- I've been working on a ten year old Dell that is on suicide watch. I really need to be able to work anywhere, so I want a laptop.

Looking at getting a refurbed MacBook- can I get by with an Air or do I really need to wait till I can afford a Pro? I've googled around about it, but most opinions seem to come from people using Photoshop for photo manipulation, not illustration.

I'm pretty dang broke, but if I'm gonna make a go of this for realsies, I need to do something or I'm gonna be computerless very soon.

Watch this
nikoby
nikoby profile pic Alumni

I ran illustrator just fine on a mac air. However, it didn't handle using multiple apps at once very well. Then I dropped the laptop...D:

nikoby
nikoby profile pic Alumni

I have an older mac book pro that still works great. If you can wait a little bit to save up, I would recommend the pro

gebe
gebe profile pic Alumni
nikoby said:

I have an older mac book pro that still works great. If you can wait a little bit to save up, I would recommend the pro

this

Pyne
Pyne profile pic Alumni

Gotcha... Pro it is. Thanks nikoby and gebe!

I guess I'll say some kind words to my ancient pc and hope it can hold out long enough for a good deal to pop up on the apple site.

blackhand_
blackhand_ profile pic Alumni

If there's a store like Microcenter near you, that might be your best place for lower-priced Macs. I got a new 13" Macbook Pro a few years back for under $1000. Looking at their site now, you can get one for $1099. They also have open-box and pre-owned 15" Macbook Pros for $1099. These are older models without the Retina display.

These prices are on par or better than the clearance deals on the Apple site. Your other option is to find a student and get a Mac using their student discount.

Pyne
Pyne profile pic Alumni

Thanks kuro te- long time no see! I was so stuck on the idea of refurbed I wasn't realizing new wasn't that much more :)

Looked around some more and B&H seems like the way I might go- got my camera from them and it went well. Now I see the pro is due for an update in mid November, so I might see if I can wait for that.

myronmhouse
myronmhouse profile pic Alumni

You know last year I used a Macbook Pro from 2006 and it ran illustrator cs5 like butter! You could get a 2009 or 2010 off eBay real cheap and be fine for a long time.

Pyne
Pyne profile pic Alumni

My current computer won't even run ms paint like butter. Seriously, if I want to save or open a file, it's around a ten minute wait time. Consequently, I started smoking again :0

I looked around on eBay and amazon but my terrible consumer luck combined with my inferior computer knowledge has made me too nervous!

Pyne
Pyne profile pic Alumni

Back again... probably finally making this purchase in the next two weeks.

Any opinions about the new 13" MBP retina Haswell? Or retina vs non-retina for that matter?

The internet has led me all over the place and it seems to be a 50/50 split between "not worth the cost" and "you'd be throwing your money away to buy non retina"

Argh. I certainly don't want to drop cash on something that will soon be obsolete, but I still gotta be able to afford photoshop.

JGomesart

I think the Pro is a much better choice being how you can buy the cheap version and upgrade the hard drive and ram yourself for half the cost that Apple will charge you. It's pretty easy to do and there are tons of tutorials online.

Personally I think the retina is nice, but not worth the difference in price.

Pyne
Pyne profile pic Alumni

Thanks! Yeah, I wish the retinas were upgradable, and I'm not sure I'm ready to give up a cd drive. Black Friday ads are starting to come out so I'm hoping I'll get a good deal- Best Buy is going to have the 4GB haswell for $1099.

mike bautista
mike bautista profile pic Alumni

I know people who use the Air for adobe stuff and they have no problem. I got the 15" macbook pro right before they stopped making them and replaced them with retina models. I chose it because I wanted to play some games here or there and the 1gb video card is decent for it. and years down the line I can replace the hard drive and ram.

the retina is unnecessary. if you draw how everyone else does on a computer, you'll be zoomed in so close that retina doesn't matter. and parts are soldered on in retina models, so you can't go in and replace anything.

mike bautista
mike bautista profile pic Alumni

forgot to add that the adobe stuff I mentioned were like PS and AI. I'm guessing rendering videos in stuff like After Effects might take a while on the air, but it takes a while everywhere.

Pyne
Pyne profile pic Alumni

I weighed all the different options and this guy is on his way to my house!

So psyched- guess I'll be using the trial version of ps till I can save up enough. :P

No account?
Join Us