New in Graphic Design

Hi guys!

I am thinking to become a graphic designer, I will really appreciate if you can give me any advice to start with?.

Thanks!!

Watch this
merkinspurlock
merkinspurlock profile pic Alumni

Make stuff. A lot. Just make a lot of stuff. Make really dumb stuff (this will be easy) then revisit it later and make it less dumb. Look at other artists' work but don't obsess over it. Practice. Draw. Someone might argue with me on this, but take classes. The basics are important to know before you start bending and breaking the rules.

groovest

Classes are a good idea, if you're not into that look up photoshop tutorials. Color theory tutiorials and layout tutorials can help also

EZFL
EZFL profile pic Alumni

Courses to look into: History of Graphic Design Color Theory Drawing (all different types)

and obviously, any Graphic Design courses. An Intro to... would be the first to take though.

campkatie
campkatie profile pic Alumni

Really study and pay attention to Typography (Intro to Type). It can make or break a designer. You could also check out some Skillshare classes online once you understand the basics. http://www.skillshare.com

Good luck!

benjaminleebates

What experience do you have to start with. Build from that. Whether you need classes or not comes down to your current skill and aptitude for learning. I did not complete a single graphic design class, but I do have a degree in art ed. I started with photoshop, but found the output less than satisfying. Illustrator was key for me, once I began to learn that, everything got better. I would say illustrator is better for a graphic designer. Sites like this are great for tips and direction, but skill can only be gained from hours of practice.

-Cringe-

take a blank sheet of paper, draw anything that comes to mind, feel bad because it looks bad, curse, throw away sheet of paper, try again.
Repeat until drawing looks cool.

Disclaimer: this can take years

Morkki
Morkki profile pic Alumni
Fruityfructis said:

take a blank sheet of paper, draw anything that comes to mind, feel bad because it looks bad, curse, throw away sheet of paper, try again.
Repeat until drawing looks cool.

Disclaimer: this can take years

No account?
Join Us