Close
One second...

WIP - would like feedback and suggestions (updated 29/09)

I had this idea in my head for quite some time and only recently got to sketching it out. The idea behind it was that I wanted to show how ravens are in some cultures described as being "bringers of death", hence why I decided to include a skull, and black eyes and lips. I'll also be adding some "tears" later on. So what do guys think? Are there other elements I could add?

EDIT: Got rid of the skull and made considerable progress on the overall piece. I'm going to try to make the eyes the center-point of the comp, and experiment with colours and whatnot. The message is still there, but not as "deathly" looking, more "ghostly" or "ethereal".

Watch this
ChrisDB

Lots of folks here get bored/tired of skulls. But it's got potential. I say skip the tears. Maybe a silhouette of the woods in the background.

the_X_illant
ChrisDB said:

Lots of folks here get bored/tired of skulls. But it's got potential. I say skip the tears. Maybe a silhouette of the woods in the background.

okay, I was actually thinking of scrapping the skull entirely because I had a "backup" idea per say if the skull wasn't the best option. I'll upload another wip once I have that part drawn.

soloyo
soloyo profile pic Alumni

I thought it was a pirate skull with an evil parakeet coming out of it ,, that would be more threaddless like

soloyo
soloyo profile pic Alumni

I thought it was a pirate skull with an evil parakeet coming out of it ,, that would be more threaddless like

the_X_illant

got rid of the skull, and added facial feathers instead.

melmike
melmike profile pic Alumni

This is one of those designs that will stand or fall on the artwork. Go heavy on the shadows and highlights... make it ethereal.

ktownjeff

Yeah i'd reach for a more macabre/beautiful style. Go in with a limited colour palette, maybe 3-4 max. some darks and 1 contrast color to off balance it. but over all i really dig the design. keep at it

biernatt
biernatt profile pic Alumni

It definitely needs more light/shadow work to bring out the form of the bird - it's way too dark as it is now. And I would try to blend the face in the bird a little more. Still - I totally dig the concept :) so keep at it!

sidepull

Agree with Melmike, it's really about execution and style for this sort of idea to work. For me, the sketch was stronger than the digital image but either way I think you might want to explore this idea a bit more thoroughly and consider different ways of making this work.

lxromero
lxromero profile pic Staff

I think you need to experiment with different brush sets and layering. You have a strong sketch but the digital coloring throws everything off. Watch the glow from the ideas and try to blend it in more. Its looking a little soft and mushy and disjointed from the rest of the image.

the_X_illant
sidepull said:

Agree with Melmike, it's really about execution and style for this sort of idea to work. For me, the sketch was stronger than the digital image but either way I think you might want to explore this idea a bit more thoroughly and consider different ways of making this work.

Do you mind me asking what exactly about the sketch you find stronger than the recently submitted wip?

the_X_illant
biernatt said:

It definitely needs more light/shadow work to bring out the form of the bird - it's way too dark as it is now. And I would try to blend the face in the bird a little more. Still - I totally dig the concept :) so keep at it!

thanks for the advice :) I've taken a break from it for a couple days because I'm trying to figure out exactly how I'll make it work.

No account?
Join Us