Weird question: Do you brush your teeth with warm or cold water?

just wondering

Watch this
Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
Sarcasticatbest

I read a blog here... at some point that someone started brushing their teeth with warm water and they're teeth were brighter. I don't know, like washed dishes I guess, warm takes more junk off?

This was not overly helpful. I use whatever comes out of the tap, mostly luke warm I guess.

jeffreyg
jeffreyg profile pic Alumni

like ice cold water or else it just feels weirddddd, man.

melmike
melmike profile pic Alumni

Us normals use cold. But my girl's French and uses warm. The French are weird. Just sayin'... I'm making sure I bring my kid up to know that teeth brushing is a cold water affair.

jeffreyg

i just brushed my teeth with warm water

man, that was WEIRD.

thedeetzes
thedeetzes profile pic Alumni

ha ha @ jeffreyg.

I have ALWAYS used cold water but lately I've been using warm and, like Christina.A.art said, its less jarring sometimes...but also less fresh... I don't know what to think!

celandinestern
celandinestern profile pic Alumni

Warrrrm especially in winter. Summertime i do not care.

caspertheghost

i do it with cold water in the morning cuz warm water make my gums bleed when i brush in the morning. at night, it doesn't matter cuz my gums are fine. it's weird...

snoopy1973

hmmmm I use beer, I thought I was normal.

littlem

I brush my teeth with toothpaste and a toothbrush. Y'all are just gross!

celandinestern

While we're at this fascinating subject - you guys do rinse after brushing with toothpaste, right? In American movies people always to a quick 'brushbrushbrush', spit, and walk out of the bathroom. I'm always like whaaaaa? Where does the toothpaste go??

Manupix
celandinestern said:

While we're at this fascinating subject - you guys do rinse after brushing with toothpaste, right? In American movies people always to a quick 'brushbrushbrush', spit, and walk out of the bathroom. I'm always like whaaaaa? Where does the toothpaste go??

American toothpaste is flavored and vitamin supplemented, right?

melmike said:

The French are weird.

In more ways than you think. For instance, I'm French and I use cold. Just like that!

TheInfamousBaka
TheInfamousBaka profile pic Alumni

I have sensitive teeth, so cold water is a no can do. And Lidija, the movies lie! I rinse, gargle, all that stuff. I don't want toothpaste hanging out in my mouth.

melmike
celandinestern said:

True, but they also rarely ever just stop someone in the middle of a scene and say, 'you know what, I'm turtlenecking like a motherfucker here, so hang tight while I go pinch a loaf'.

I mean, that's what I say... and I'm assuming it's the same in America.

celandinestern

ahahhahahaha ewww :D No but what I meant was, since they are deliberately showing the process of someone brushing teeth, why purposely show it wrong? That's the confusing part. I guess it's one of those movie-isms, like how the meal arrives and then shit happens and suddenly nobody is hungry any more, or all airplane tickets are transferable to any random stranger and you can just give them away (you can't do that, right? here if they misspell your name on the freakin ticket you won't be allowed to fly)

Manupix

This how it should be done.

Manupix

but not like that

JaymeArt

cold. ..and use toothpaste without flouride.

celandinestern
amaara said:

Room temperature/cold-ish water

but regarding movie teeth brushing. my brother is a dentist and youre NOT supposed to rinse!! (which is gross I think, I always rinse) youre supposed to leave toothpaste residue (the flouride) to fight cavities (Especially before bed) I always thought it was a weird american thing too ha. he used me as his final project, and one of my dental hygiene shortcomings was that I rinsed lol.

celandinestern said:

oooh well there's a new twist. But yeah, gross. Toothpaste dries out your mouth anyway, even if I didn't rinse I'd still have to drink water afterwards which would come to rinsing basically.

why no fluoride? I thought fluoride was good stuff?

Wolfgang8885

Its just the movies and shows doing it wrong. It would get too messy if they did it right. Water might splash on their clothes, etc. I guess its easier to have them brush without anything.

Same reason why when people drink coffee in movies and shows, the coffee cups are empty.

I brush with lukewarm water. Cold would make my sensitive gums hurt.

Morkki
Morkki profile pic Alumni

Anyway, I don't rinse. Dentist's recommendation, you get used to it. And it's not like you're going to eat something right away with you toothpaste mouth, right?

Jordan_Bender
Jordan_Bender profile pic Alumni

In elementary school they used to make us rinse with fluoride every Thursday. I have no idea why.

Two of my adult teeth came in with big white spots because of it.

Jordan_Bender
Jordan_Bender profile pic Alumni

Also, a tongue scraper OH MY GLOB you have to use one. HAVE. TO.

I didn't even know they existed until I was an adult. Dentists, parents, no one told me to use one, but I am telling you. Must have.

Wolfgang8885
JordanLBender said:

Also, a tongue scraper OH MY GLOB you have to use one. HAVE. TO.

I didn't even know they existed until I was an adult. Dentists, parents, no one told me to use one, but I am telling you. Must have.

Props for using Glob. :D

JaymeArt

If flouride is good for you, why does the tube need a warning like this? :

"If you accidentally swallow more than used for brushing, seek professional help or contact a poison control center immediately"

Stefbruurs
Stefbruurs profile pic Alumni
speakerine said:

cold ! I 've never understood people brushing their teeth with hot water..

Me neither, why use water when you have free sand and manure lying around everywhere? =/

jeffreyg

oh is this not how you guys brush them?

littlem

I use Jeff's toothbrush to clean the toilet. Shhh

opifan64
opifan64 profile pic Alumni
Jayme Art said:

"If you accidentally swallow more than used for brushing, seek professional help or contact a poison control center immediately"

Although there's a lot of hysteria about fluoride it's not actually the reason for the warning label. Other ingredients in the toothpaste can cause nausea and vomiting if consumed in high enough doses (but it's not life threatening... and why are you eating toothpaste?)

That said fluoride is an industrial byproduct of aluminum manufacture, which means that technically it's industrial waste although it is naturally occurring in some ground water too. There haven't been any solid scientific studies to demonstrate that it's harmful in the quantities that are found in water or toothpaste, vs the benefits.

JaymeArt
opifan64 said:
Jayme Art said:

Although there's a lot of hysteria about fluoride it's not actually the reason for the warning label. Other ingredients in the toothpaste can cause nausea and vomiting if consumed in high enough doses (but it's not life threatening... and why are you eating toothpaste?)

That said fluoride is an industrial byproduct of aluminum manufacture, which means that technically it's industrial waste although it is naturally occurring in some ground water too. There haven't been any solid scientific studies to demonstrate that it's harmful in the quantities that are found in water or toothpaste, vs the benefits.

'Why am I eating toothpaste?' --Cause glue is too sticky ;p srsly, its toxic, and used in rat poision. yuk. Ive decided to avoid it best I can. Kindof hard since its in so many things though.

http://www.fluoridealert.org/articles/50-reasons/

thedeetzes
thedeetzes profile pic Alumni

I don't rinse after brushing ever :-/

My sisters ex boyfriend used to swallow EVERYTHING. Like no spitting was involved in brushing his teeth. SO gross.

opifan64
opifan64 profile pic Alumni
Jayme Art said:
opifan64 said:
Jayme Art said:

'Why am I eating toothpaste?' --Cause glue is too sticky ;p srsly, its toxic, and used in rat poision. yuk. Ive decided to avoid it best I can. Kindof hard since its in so many things though.

http://www.fluoridealert.org/articles/50-reasons/

That data is seriously skewed by the fact that fluoride is still used in those countries topically both in toothpaste and in oral rinses. There is strong scientific data to support the protective effect of fluoride, especially in lower socio-economic groups without access to consistent dental care.

Many things are toxic in high enough concentrations. Most of the medicine you take would kill you if you took an entire course of the medication all at once. Warfarin (used as a blood thinner to prevent clots) is also a rat poison.

melmike

Forget Fluride, something needs to be done to ban dihydrogen monoxide, otherwise known as hydroxyl acid. It's used in almost every industry across the world and is hands down one of the most destructive chemical compounds on earth. They put it in your food, meanwhile it's continuously found in excised tumors of terminal cancer patients.

celandinestern
opifan64 said:

Many things are toxic in high enough concentrations. Most of the medicine you take would kill you if you took an entire course of the medication all at once. Warfarin (used as a blood thinner to prevent clots) is also a rat poison.

Yeeeah this, really. It's amazing how many apparent parallels you can draw between things to implicate they are dangerous when just taking into account things like dosage and method of application and other relevant circumstances. I mean technically, oxygen can kill you. So can drinking too much water.

I don't know anything about hydroxyl acid, but I do think tons of junk are being put into processed foods, I think there's no argument there. I do try to avoid them as much as I can, though not to fanatical levels. Something's gonna kill ya in the end :) For a while I was looking into healthy living a bit more seriously, but then you see there's people claiming yogurt is gonna give you cancer, and you realise that everything is potentially deadly and then I just couldn't cope so I gave up and decided to play it by ear.

celandinestern

That second sentence went to weird grammatical places. But y'all know what I'm sayin.

melmike

Jayme, you can't avoid fluoride, it occurs naturally in the body, as does arsenic, mercury, radium, lithium and uranium.

celandinestern

d'you guys know that brazil nuts are the most radioactive food? Supposedly they're still really good for you but you shouldn't have more than 3 a day or something. Also the shell it grows in contains aflatoxins.

I guess it's all about treading carefully and approaching everything in moderation.

Manupix
celandinestern said:

I don't know anything about hydroxyl acid

Of course you do! 'dihydrogen monoxide' hint hint wink wink lol

melmike

It's friggin dangerous stuff, back in 2004, an unexpected surplus of it appeared in Indonesia and India killing over 180 thousand people in a single day.

celandinestern

ahahahahahahahahah you guys :D Point taken.

Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
No account?
Join Us