Close
One second...

A thought about the Lion King subs

My thought is that almost all the designs seem to copy existing disney artwork. Is that what the contest meant by "inspired by"...it seems wrong.

Thoughts? am i way off?

Watch this
Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
Theo86
1 design submitted - Score now!

I def agree but what do you expect when it comes to disney? Though I have seen some pretty awesome submissions when scoring a couple.

Underdawg

Its tricky because yes a lot of the designs seem to be copycats of existing Disney work. And when you do something more original *cough cough it gets rejected for being "out of character."

This also leads to a bunch of retread designs. Must be at least 50 design incorporating Rafiki holding up baby Simba.... yawn.

Morkki

They remind me of the Lion King

Aji ontowiryo

yeah, most of them are just tracing some screen shot and slapped it on t shirt. but i'm not one of them :p check mine if you're curious (self promotion) ;)

celandinestern
Morkki said:

They remind me of the Lion King

this :)

Big-name corporate challenges pretty much invite copying of their style because they are very quick to reject anything that has a distinct personal note, and in the end most of the pieces that are chosen as winners or runners up tend to look pretty much like directly copied Disney/ Marvel/ DC/ whatever art.

I'd imagine that the whole point of teaming up with Threadless is to get a different take on their characters, but apparently this is too mindblowing a concept for the corporate agenda.

So yeah, they're pretty much all boring and the same as each other, but I don't blame the artists. I am full of admiration for those who managed to nail the Disney style without directly copying stills from the film, like Baka with her awesomeness.

taz-pie

lion king blows

opifan64

I'm genuinely curious as to what person over the age of five would actually wear a Lion King shirt and feel comfortable with that decision.

taz-pie
opifan64 said:

I'm genuinely curious as to what person over the age of five would actually wear a Lion King shirt and feel comfortable with that decision.

THIS.

TheInfamousBaka
opifan64 said:

I totally would. Already have one actually. :-)

Manupix
TheInfamousBaka said:

I totally would. Already have one actually. :-)

Pics or it didn't happen!

melmike

yeah, I fucking love the lion king as a movie, but I ain't wearing the shirt

celandinestern
taz-pie said:
opifan64 said:

THIS.

ahahah well while we wait for Tiff's proof shirt, yeah, this. I can imagine a very very small subset of cool people like Tiff who would do it and totally pull it off, but generally... nope, not really.

TheInfamousBaka

Not me, but this is the one I own and I love it and wear it proudly.

People like different things. I would never ever ever wear a Simpsons or Minecraft shirt but that's because I don't care much for those things. Just like others don't give a shit about Lion King. :-) To each their own.

Though I have to say, I was hoping for more out of this challenge, but there are only like 10-15 wearable ones in the entire pool of designs.

celandinestern
TheInfamousBaka said:

Not me, but this is the one I own and I love it and wear it proudly.

People like different things. I would never ever ever wear a Simpsons or Minecraft shirt but that's because I don't care much for those things. Just like others don't give a shit about Lion King. :-) To each their own.

Though I have to say, I was hoping for more out of this challenge, but there are only like 10-15 wearable ones in the entire pool of designs.

ok I stand corrected. That is genuinely cute :)

Aji ontowiryo
opifan64 said:

i think many girls like theinfamousbaka would wear this kind of stuff, but not men. some submitted designs i saw looks cool to wear though, even for men. threadless artists are amazing actually, I will never get a print with these guys around.

jeffreyg
jeffreyg profile pic Staff

there are 455 subs (still more coming) that are actually up for voting.

over 1,000 were submitted.

can you picture how many hakunta mctatas ive seen?! haha

Ryder

What are you talking about?! ALL the lion king subs are AMAZING!!!

Ryder

also remember when Simba was on Home Improvement?

BeanePod

pssssssssh....you guys gonna be creyin' tears of many sads when mine wins...

it's okay......to crey....

Morkki
jeffreyg said:

pls post pictures of Nala's tatas

BeanePod
Morkki said:
jeffreyg said:

shit....i got that covered too...a winner is i!

Morkki

Dang boy you need to build a swimming pool for all the cash you'll be swimming in!

EZFL
opifan64 said:

and the next sponsored challenge is... Hasbro's My Little Ponies

FoodStampDavis

So many subs I see lately seem almost intentionally derivative of the Disney film "Disney's The Lion King."

For example, this sub strongly resembles Simba The Lion king from "Disney's The Lion King:"

(the threadless sub)

(Simba The Lion King from the Disney film "Disney's The Lion King)

Furthermore, the title of this submission is "Simba & The Rhinoceros."

I find it very difficult to believe that these two lion characters would look so similar AND both have the name "Simba" by pure coincidence. Plus the lion in the submission is wearing a crown - much like a KING would wear. That really reminds me of "Disney's The Lion King."

Furthermore, I have seen literally DOZENS of submissions with similar allusions to Disney's The Lion King.

I'm no copyright attorney (three credits short in law school), but surely this must be SOME kind of infringement on the intellectual property of Walter Disney and his film "Disney's The Lion King."

I feel like the submission staff really dropped the ball on this one.

caspertheghost
BeanePod said:
Morkki said:
jeffreyg said:

shit....i got that covered too...a winner is i!

LMAO. at least it's not hakuna matata or simba being held up.

BeanePod
foodstampdavis said:

So many subs I see lately seem almost intentionally derivative of the Disney film "Disney's The Lion King."

For example, this sub strongly resembles Simba The Lion king from "Disney's The Lion King:"

(the threadless sub)

I find it very difficult to believe that these two lion characters would look so similar AND both have the name "Simba" by pure coincidence. Plus the lion in the submission is wearing a crown - much like a KING would wear. That really reminds me of "Disney's The Lion King."

Furthermore, I have seen literally DOZENS of submissions with similar allusions to Disney's The Lion King.

I'm no copyright attorney (three credits short in law school), but surely this must be SOME kind of infringement on the intellectual property of Walter Disney and his film "Disney's The Lion King."

da fuq is the lion king?

taz-pie
foodstampdavis said:

(the threadless sub)

fuck i love you, andrewstamps.

Aji ontowiryo
foodstampdavis said:

(the threadless sub)

haha you just win this thread

alexmdc
alexmdc profile pic Staff
2 designs submitted - Score now!

in another note, Lion King is like the top seller for shirts for Disney.

Twiggyhall
taz-pie said:
foodstampdavis said:

(the threadless sub)

fuck i love you, andrewstamps.

^ ditto

taz-pie
alexmdc said:

yes, but che guevara shirts are also "really popular". does that mean your should do a "threadless loves che" comp? i dunno. i just hate this one in particular.

anyway. hatoomba no masa.

Manupix
taz-pie said: you should do a "threadless loves che" comp

That would be totally epic.

Morkki
xiv said:
opifan64 said:

and the next sponsored challenge is... Hasbro's My Little Ponies

Never underestimate the enthusiasm of bronies

taz-pie

see, i would "ironically" wear a pony shirt, but no fucking way a lion king shirt.

BeanePod
taz-pie said:

see, i would "ironically" wear a pony shirt, but no fucking way a lion king shirt.

hakuna hell not a

Musarter
Manupix said:
taz-pie said: you should do a "threadless loves che" comp

That would be totally epic.

Already got my Che sub ready; just in anticipation.

aMythPatel

For me, I feel the shirts are more fun when they stray further from the exact look of the characters, but I agree that its hard to stay in the running when you venture too far.

Stuck to silhouettes for my design, wanted it to look more like art first, lion king second. But i'll admit, its hard to keep the characters iconic without it looking too much like a rip.

Mine, if curious.

Ryder Revolution said:

also remember when Simba was on Home Improvement?

^ More importantly he's Ferris Bueller

FoodStampDavis

I honestly don't have a problem with the licensed challenges. Sure, it can flood the scoring pages, but that's pretty easy to filter out. If it's a property I don't personally care about, I just don't vote on 'em and don't sub and don't buy 'em. There's clearly a market for it, so whatevs. To each his own. People wanting to buy Disney's The Lion King stuff seems like a pretty silly thing to be mad at.

Now back to acting like an idiot!

taz-pie
foodstampdavis said:

I honestly don't have a problem with the licensed challenges. Sure, it can flood the scoring pages, but that's pretty easy to filter out. If it's a property I don't personally care about, I just don't vote on 'em and don't sub and don't buy 'em. There's clearly a market for it, so whatevs. To each his own. People wanting to buy Disney's The Lion King stuff seems like a pretty silly thing to be mad at.

Now back to acting like an idiot!

FUCK YOU, MAN. IMMA MOAN ALL I WANT.

BeanePod

SWEET! Now I have somewhere to sub my genius Michael Che Fox shirt! Winning!

Underdawg
alexmdc said:

Which makes it all the more strange that when you go to the disneystore.com, The Lion King doesn't even have it's own section. Furhermore the shirts that are The Lion King, are based on the Broadway musical not the movie....

FoodStampDavis
BeanePod said:

Sir, I run a internet t-shirt store called Gentlemen Brothers and we would love to sell this design.

BeanePod
foodstampdavis said:
BeanePod said:

Sir, I run a internet t-shirt store called Gentlemen Brothers and we would love to sell this design.

can pay in pesos?

HorsefaceDee
opifan64 said:

this..yes.

HorsefaceDee

OMG I missed you guys...I am LOLing over here at some of your replies...

See, I think Alex's "The king" is a perfect example of what "inspired by" means. You get what it is referencing but the art work is DEF Alex's. That is more what i thought the comp would be about...

Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
No account?