Close
One second...

New Music (Whatchu listening to)

I am starting this blog so I don't overlook any recent musical gems I may have missed out on. Last year I discovered Alt-J through the blogs and I hoping to find another great album like that one. Hopefully one of the albums I introduce here will be something you like too.

There have been a lot of Kick-ass individual songs released this year but I am focusing on albums for now; mostly because there too many individual songs to mention here. If you like a song listed below and have Spotify, I wholeheartedly recommend listening to the entire album there.

Janelle Monae- The Electric lady This is bit on the pop-side of things but pretty much brilliant all the way through. Super collaborations and an interesting concept make this album great.
Queens of the Stone Age- ...Like Clockwork If you like classic hard rock (AC/DC, Led Zep) this is a great album. It has the right amount of strut, grungy grease, and hook for this kind of music.
Flume- Flume A solid electronica album all the way through. The songs with and without vocals are equally good.
Boards of Canada- Tomorrow's Harvest Either you like this kind of atmospheric building instrumental music or you do not. If you like it, this album is amazing.
Neko Case- The Worse Things Get, The More I Fight, The Harder I Fight, The More I Love You An amazing lyricist and songwriter. Although a bit depressing, the Production and Guest appearances make this album exceptional.

I guess video embedding is still glitchy; follow Video links instead.

Watch this
Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
chuck p comics

I know its not new but, Portugal. The man. In the mountain in the cloud! Is amazig! And have you tryed mgmt or m83?

Musarter

I have to hear the whole album of Portugal, The Man; some individual songs sounded good. I gotta check out m83. Thanks for the suggestions.

taz-pie

also, how do post vids?

chuck p comics
taz-pie said:

also, how do post vids?

that sounded like a noob!

Morkki
1 design submitted - Score now!

This, a lot

share -> embed -> copy code and paste to comment box as is

chuck p comics

yes! reflektor I totally forgot!

Morkki

Portugal. The Man is good too, listening to Evil Friends now

Musarter

Just recently heard that one. I am looking forward to that album.

If you like that song you might like: excure the terrible video.

Musarter
Musarter said:

Just recently heard that one. I am looking forward to that album.

If you like that song you might like: Californiyeah !!!

In reference to Reflector.

benjaminleebates

I listen to Ministry of Sound online to get my fill of new music. Actually there is a handful of radio station that I stream. I HATE local radio. I would be a happy man if I could hear at least one NEW song a day.

smkvr
Morkki said:

This, a lot

Arcade fire + David Bowie + Anton Corbijn = perfect <3

Also, liking Haim right now. Haven't heard the album yet but this is good

I don't know why but i think if you liked Alt-J's Awesome Wave, you might like James Blake's Overgrown album. They're not too similar really, but something similar at points.

Musarter
benjaminleebates said:

I listen to Ministry of Sound online to get my fill of new music. Actually there is a handful of radio station that I stream. I HATE local radio. I would be a happy man if I could hear at least one NEW song a day.

Yes, local radio sucks. I just started listening to whole albums on Spotify to see what is worth purchasing.

Dan, I almost listed that album too. His other collaboration "The Shouting Matches" was also pretty good.

Musarter

Checked out M83 and while I think they are good, I think I need to be in certain mood to enjoy them more.

The Portugal, The Man album is pretty brilliant. Danger Mouse's touches aren't heavy handed and add some nice texture to the album.

The song Retrograde is one of my favorites of the year so far. I have not fallen in love with the whole album yet; it might be one that requires multiple listens to fully enjoy.

Morkki

Just checked out this and loving it

dandingeroz
2 designs submitted - Score now!

I'm listening to CHVRCHES every Sunday!

I've been listening to MILLIONYOUNG CHILDISH GAMBINO STELLAR YOUNG

these past few weeks!

Musarter
Morkki said:

Just checked out this and loving it

The whole album is streaming here. I have been listening to the song Recover, which is great, for awhile.

Gotta checkout the new Gambino one.

Weirdoboy
Dan Yingling said:

YES!!! Volcano Choir. The entire Repave album...amazing. Can't wait for their show in MPLS next month.

taz-pie

i have just found so much cool stuff here!

FoodStampDavis

Like Clockwork is fantastic. Picked up the double-disc 45 set.

This isn't new music, but it's been cool fall weather here and that always makes me listen to extra Uncle Tupelo.

Weirdoboy

I've also been balancing a lot of lullaby renditions of old favorites. Seems to keep the 6 month old happy and sleeping while dad works and draws. And he seems to like Radiohead a hell of a lot.

Radiohead No Surprises

nikoby
Morkki said:

This, a lot

I can't wait for the entire album to come out...already preordered.

Other than that I've been listening to Youth Lagoon and Washed Out

nikoby
chuck p comics said:

I know its not new but, Portugal. The man. In the mountain in the cloud! Is amazig! And have you tryed mgmt or m83?

M83 is awesome

Musarter

Taz, there is some nice stuff on that channel.

Uncle Tupelo is always a nice choice. I am glad someone else appreciates the greatness of ...Like Clockwork.

I am glad the child likes Radiohead. Your starting 'em off on the right foot.

I am hoping the new Arcade Fire album is great too. The Washed Out album has some really great songs; I am tempted to see him live, locally, even though it does not work with my schedule. I'll have to checkout Youth Lagoon.

Christina.A.art

Love this song so much sad this version is not on the new album

---- Bastille ----

KyleGeib
KyleGeib profile pic Staff
foodstampdavis said:

Like Clockwork is fantastic. Picked up the double-disc 45 set.

This isn't new music, but it's been cool fall weather here and that always makes me listen to extra Uncle Tupelo.

I love me some Uncle Tupelo!

Lately, I've been listening to "Dead Language" by The Flatliners on repeat. Great new music from a band that never ceases to amaze me. If you're a fan of pop punk (or whatever you want to call it), you may really dig this band.

Jayme Art

By the time I like something its usually not new anymore.

idc as long as I have RadioHead, Coldplay or something electronic...

TylerNickell

It's pretty much been these two songs for the last 48 hours.

FoodStampDavis

Haim's EP is definitely worth buying. Saw them live on the Stopover tour two summers ago and fell in love. I think they are gonna be a big deal.

melmike

What? Leave me alone, I have an 18 month old.

Musarter

Dang, you guys have mentioned some cool stuff. I just listened to Haim and now I am hoping their full-album is as good as their EP.

Here are a few heavily recommended songs to checkout if you have not yet:

karaed
karaed profile pic Staff

I generally only listen to records released in 1996, but the new Superchunk is pretty solid.

I also very much endorse foodstamp's rec of Uncle Tupelo. I listen to an embarrassing amount of that band.

speakerine

Siriusmo is amazing. Itchy espacially, and I love the clip. Cornerboy is more awkward but fun too !

speakerine

this is from his new album "Enthusiast"

Fruityfructis
3 designs submitted - Score now!

did i just kill a blog with my music tastes? god i'm awesome

Musarter
Fruityfructis said:

did i just kill a blog with my music tastes? god i'm awesome

Your tastes are not that strange. I really liked the Block Head tune. The video was actually pretty amazing.

And Speakerine, the song "Itchy" is pretty brilliant.

To share YouTube: Look under video, click on share tab, click on "Embed" tab next to "share this video," paste that code directly into the Threadless forum message.

Jake Friedman

For the funk enthusiasts:

The Main Squeeze

The New Mastersounds

littlem

besides my usual things i get stuck on, i'm stuck on volcano choir for the moment: recommended by a cute friend

Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
No account?