Close
One second...

Does Anyone Use Dreamweaver?

If so, or if not, do you guys have any example pages created with it?

I'd like to know how complex I can get using the software. I'm doing some googling etc., finding out more info about it.

Right now I'm using a Wordpress site, messing with a little CSS code, but I kinda want to build a site from the ground up. Is this what Dreamweaver is for?

Watch this
Twiggyhall

JINX!!!!!!!!

celandinestern
celandinestern profile pic Alumni

don't use Dreamweaver to make your code. It will be messy and unnecessarily complicated and you'll spend ages ironing things out. Just start working with simple html and then add css to it and pretty soon you'll realise you can do everything on your own. And the feeling of power when you're sitting there with Notepad open and typing code straight onto a plain sheet of electronic paper and after you see it turn into a perfect page with text and images and rollovers and stuff - priceless. My two cents.

vectored_life
celandinestern said:

don't use Dreamweaver to make your code. It will be messy and unnecessarily complicated and you'll spend ages ironing things out. Just start working with simple html and then add css to it and pretty soon you'll realise you can do everything on your own. And the feeling of power when you're sitting there with Notepad open and typing code straight onto a plain sheet of electronic paper and after you see it turn into a perfect page with text and images and rollovers and stuff - priceless. My two cents.

Okay, so I can just put code in Notepad (referring to the computer program) and open it on the internet? If so how do I open a notepad file in a browser?

PeculiarTiffany
PeculiarTiffany profile pic Alumni

I agree with Theo that learning the basics is the best thing to do. A syntax editor is the way to go if you're coding from scratch (Aptana, Komodo, etc.). I use Dreamweaver for simple things, like HTML email marketing stuff, just so I can get an idea of how it's going to look. But using Dreamweaver to actually build a website would not be the way to go.

vectored_life

Figured it out!

Question though, do I need to have both a txt file doc and a htm file doc or can I edit the htm one directly?

chuck p comics
chuck p comics profile pic Alumni
2 designs submitted - Score now!

yes. almost every day.....wait I thought that said underwear

vectored_life
chuck p comics said:

yes. almost every day.....wait I thought that said underwear

lol

@Baka, trust me I want to be able to learn all the code, "hand" typed. I was thinking that dream weaver was the way to go.

So the next question is, now that i've figured out how to turn a notepad doc into a web visible page, how do I make it a website to share, etc...? is that where all the hosting stuff comes into play? If so, i understand that part of it from some school classes vaguely.

benjaminleebates
littlem said:

Thanks now that damn song is stuck in my head!

vectored_life

*flicks lighter

ooooooooh dream weavah'...

PeculiarTiffany
PeculiarTiffany profile pic Alumni

Yep, that's where all of the hosting stuff comes in. Register a domain, get with a hosting company and then transfer your site files over.

vectored_life

Gotcha'

Thanks for the help everybody!

No account?
Join Us