How I Promote My Art

To promote my latest re-print, I posted the following on Facebook:

"Pit stains on your 'Talking Penguin' t-shirt? You can replace that disgusting thing - it’s back by popular demand."

This sparked a frank and incisive discussion by a panel of Threadless luminaries.

Wharton noted, "I think you need to erode your audience's self confidence in new and inventive ways..."

Some helpful examples using my design as a test case:

• Start your pitch with, "Hey dummy.." or "Tired of being ugly?" - MechanicalRobotPower

• "Need to draw attention away from your gut? Put some profanities on your chest!" - Morkki

Any more examples? Or do you have a different approach? Let's teach aspiring artists how to be consummate professionals like we are...

Watch this
DRO72
DRO72 profile pic Alumni

I'll start with this surefire pitch:

"Do you insist on dressing in an age-inapproprite manner? I think I can help you look ridiculous!"

Morkki
Morkki profile pic Alumni

"Always stating the blindingly obvious or ironically inappropriate? Be that guy!"

TheInfamousBaka
TheInfamousBaka profile pic Alumni

"This shirt will make you slightly more interesting, and let's be honest, you need all the help you can get."

Christina.A.art

This shirt will answer everyone's question when there's snow on the ground and your at the store wearing t-shirt and shorts ... Are you not cold?

AnthonyMoore

"Are you cold all the time and sick of telling everyone? Let your shirt do the talkin'."

celandinestern
celandinestern profile pic Alumni

'Do women avoid you like the plague? This shirt will give them something cute to look at so they get distracted from your hideous face.'

DRO72
DRO72 profile pic Alumni
TheInfamousBaka said:

"This shirt will make you slightly more interesting, and let's be honest, you need all the help you can get."

As Tiffany demonstrates, the customer will respond if you are coldly, viciously, unnecessarily honest with them.

mip1980
mip1980 profile pic Alumni

Wearing this shirt will make you seem less like a cunt and more like a guy that society wants to embrace, especially during winter

celandinestern

"Demonstrate wit without bothering to grow a personality!"

I should work in marketing.

DRO72
DRO72 profile pic Alumni
mip1980 said:

Wearing this shirt will make you seem less like a cunt and more like a guy that society wants to embrace, especially during winter

Great tip from mip1980: the c-word is appropriate and welcome in almost any communication, and invariably leaves a good impression.

mip1980
mip1980 profile pic Alumni

To be honest i think the C word isn't used anywhere near enough in general advertising, i think sales would be boosted if companies just had a little more edge :-)

Wharton
Wharton profile pic Alumni

Fat, single and over 25? You need all the joy and help you can get. Try David Olenicks patented 'Fun tees' they make the fun so you don't have to.

DRO72
DRO72 profile pic Alumni
Wharton said:

Fat, single and over 25? You need all the joy and help you can get. Try David Olenicks patented 'Fun tees' they make the fun so you don't have to.

celandinestern said:

"Demonstrate wit without bothering to grow a personality!"

TheInfamousBaka said:

If TheInfamousBaka's approach is too sugary sweet for you, try something like what Wharton or Celandinestern came up with. They are some of the cruelest, most heartless monsters in the business. They have nothing but contempt for the public, and people love it!

celandinestern

Finally a cute way to tell people you're a frigid, bitch of an ice queen!

Love this one :) Here's another bit of my marketing genius.

"It's a few basic geometric shapes slapped together, and you still couldn't have come up with it."

BlancaJP
BlancaJP profile pic Alumni

Smart and funny but too shy to show it ? Forget that opposites attract bull shit, no one likes a dumb girl friend. Wear a smart and funny T - get a smart and funny girl.

Morkki
Morkki profile pic Alumni

"You know what's funnier than your jokes? Just about anything really, this shirt is a good start!"

cmasse

Are you a Super Asshole? Buy this shirt and hide your true identity!

No account?
Join Us