Close
One second...

Lion King Challenge Clarification

This dot point is taken directly from the challenge guidelines:

• You may use any characters from The Lion King franchise, but mashups, parodies, or references to any other characters are not allowed.

Yet, I see many submissions up for scoring that I would categorise as either a mashup or a parody or even both at the same time. I get the feeling that this might be a case of, 'you can submit it for scoring, but they'll never pick an idea like that' deal, as I think can often happen in big brand challenges.

I may have an idea that isn't just a lion head set against a rising sun, but I'm not sure I want to spend time on it if it has no chance of ever being picked. Long story short, what exactly constitutes a parody? I'm hoping it just means don't denigrate or lampoon beloved characters just for shits and giggles.

Watch this
Morkki
Morkki profile pic Alumni
2 designs submitted - Score now!

You are asking for Disney to make sense and be consistent. Not gonna happen!

jeffreyg
jeffreyg profile pic Staff

no more Scar + Scarface, please or Simba + Michael Jackson

just make sure you can still get the essence of the character from it.

Morkki
Morkki profile pic Alumni
2 designs submitted - Score now!

Looking through the past Disney challenges it's safe to say that they won't pick anything with a reference to anything outside the franchise. They pick different styles, that's it.

melmike
melmike profile pic Alumni
jeffreyg said:

no more Scar + Scarface, please or Simba + Michael Jackson

just make sure you can still get the essence of the character from it.

Thanks Jeff, now that's what I call service. My idea's nothing like that so looks like we're full steam ahead. Time to get busaaay...

Elma e Francis

Parody, in the eyes of the law, is applicable when the new work calls to mind the original work (the original author’s design or trademark) and criticizes or ridicules the message of that original work or trademark. here

So it can be safe for non-challenge, but not for licensed Disney challenges. I thinnk Nickelodeon is more flexible in this regard

melmike
melmike profile pic Alumni

Thanks guys. I certainly won't be doing any criticising or ridiculing, quite the contrary actually, so I guess it'll be fine.

Elma e Francis

whatever, it ill be awesome for sure

Underdawg
Underdawg profile pic Alumni

You may use any characters from The Lion King franchise, but mashups, parodies, or references to any other characters are not allowed.

Hmmm.... But Simba + Elvis is ok? The King

The design is awesome and everything but in the spirit of the rules.......

No account?