Close
One second...

Phil's Vector Process Videos

Alex recently showed me how to record my laptop screen using QuickTime and I've been playing around with recording my process of vectoring my doodles in Illustrator. It's been fun and also interesting to find out that it usually takes me about an hour to complete a design.

I'm using Adobe Illustrator CS5, the basic setup, and the MacBook Air trackpad (because I'm lazy and I work from my bed). I try to squeeze the long boring videos down to 4 minutes--otherwise you'll just watch me tinker with selecting colors for 20 minutes.

Enjoy! :)

Milk and Cereal - Vector Process from Philip Tseng on Vimeo

Hardcore Gamer - Vector Process from Philip Tseng on Vimeo

Corn Dog - Vector Process from Philip Tseng on Vimeo

Here's Looking at You, Kid - Vector Process from Philip Tseng on Vimeo

Watch this
Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
bortwein

Watching you try and get the word Milk up there made me laugh. Very cool to watch these.

pilihp
Torakamikaze said:

Who's this guy?

some jerkwad

pilihp
bortwein said:

Watching you try and get the word Milk up there made me laugh. Very cool to watch these.

haha... i forgot to expand it and was confused why it wasn't distorting correctly :D

bortwein

by the way, what version of illustrator are you using? Mine is so old (CS2) because I'm watching you do some cool stuff to lines that I didn't even know was possible.

pilihp
bortwein said:

by the way, what version of illustrator are you using? Mine is so old (CS2) because I'm watching you do some cool stuff to lines that I didn't even know was possible.

CS5

TheInfamousBaka

It's cool seeing somebody work with Illustrator that makes it seem really natural. :-)

bortwein

boy do I need an upgrade. I want to draw like Phil

Morkki

Haha, slow down! So when you did the shading on the corn dog, you made mesh gradients, halftoned them and then live traced, right?

pilihp
Morkki said:

Haha, slow down! So when you did the shading on the corn dog, you made mesh gradients, halftoned them and then live traced, right?

yup. it's the easy/lazy way of doing it :) i'm all about lazy.

Manupix

Cool, thanks!

So you don't save until the very end? How brave!

pilihp
Manupix said:

Cool, thanks!

So you don't save until the very end? How brave!

haha. someone else pointed that out too. i'm a bad example. you should always save your work well working.

moosabman

sweet. More process vids everyone!!!

ivanrodero

Among other things I love the music selection.

vectored_life

One question: A lot of your lines are rounded at the endpoint. Are you using a brush or pen tool? If it's pen tool, how do you make rounded endpoints? I can't quite tell because of the speed of working.

Btw, love your style and thank you for the vids! Very motivating.

Musarter
1 design submitted - Score now!

Cool process Vid. You manage to make curved vectors look so smooth; not always an easy task. The way you created your lines was interesting too. Thanks for sharing.

Morkki
theillustratorman said:

One question: A lot of your lines are rounded at the endpoint. Are you using a brush or pen tool? If it's pen tool, how do you make rounded endpoints? I can't quite tell because of the speed of working.

Go to Window -> Stroke. You'll get a panel where you can set rounded ends to strokes.

vectored_life
Morkki said:
theillustratorman said:

Go to Window -> Stroke. You'll get a panel where you can set rounded ends to strokes.

Thanks a bunch!

pilihp
theillustratorman said:

i mainly use the pen tool or the shape tools. in the Stroke window there are 3 end cap options: Butt Cap (hehe), Round Cap, and Projecting Cap.

vectored_life
pilihp said:
theillustratorman said:

i mainly use the pen tool or the shape tools. in the Stroke window there are 3 end cap options: Butt Cap (hehe), Round Cap, and Projecting Cap.

lols at Butt Cap. Yeah, I'm a big fan of the pen tool.

Ragnampiza

Saw this on tumblr. Really liked them and the music playing along is just right :)

Got a question: you said you recorded this in quicktime, but what did you used to sped them up?

Also, thanks for the tips above.

pilihp
Ragnampiza said:

Saw this on tumblr. Really liked them and the music playing along is just right :)

Got a question: you said you recorded this in quicktime, but what did you used to sped them up?

Also, thanks for the tips above.

i used iMovie. there are better video editing programs out there like After Effects, but iMovie was convenient.

Evancooleo

THANK YOU PHIL, seriously, thanks. Very appreciated.

Jake Friedman

Always a big fan of your style, so its awesome to see behind the curtains. And that song in the Milk and Cereal video is possibly the happiest thing ever.

ChrisDB

Great vid man! I'm only starting to learn illustrator so you're like a wizard to me! lol

littlem

Cool job, coolguyphilguydudebro!

Theo86

Amazing videos / designs!

bortwein
Evancooleo said:

THANK YOU PHIL, seriously, thanks. Very appreciated.

Yes, This.

melmike

Nice!

addu

Thank you sir for putting this up, appreciate alot :)

Robo Rat

Very kind of you for sharing your process. Thank you. You're one of my inspiration here.

gebe

Very good, love the Corn Dog! I work with illustrator to, but I'm not as fast as you are, man! Don't you keep colors separated by layers?

Hellpanda
Hellpanda profile pic Staff

So awesome Phil! How would you like to contribute to Teetorials? We think you have a lot to share!

Ragnampiza
pilihp said:

i used iMovie. there are better video editing programs out there like After Effects, but iMovie was convenient.

Thanks! Btw, you're using the '09 version, right? because i seem not to find a way on the '08.

Jayme Art

Wow! thanks for sharing :]

Wharton

This is just great, I always wanted to see how you worked, thanks!

quick-brown-fox

Loved watching these. It's nice to see how other people do stuff without watching over their shoulder. Also, it was great to see what I'm doing right and how I'm going wrong.

I think the stroke width tool is the best thing they've added to illustrator ever.

Jayme Art
quick-brown-fox said:

I think the stroke width tool is the best thing they've added to illustrator ever.

Very cool, Almost makes me want to buy Illustrator.

pilihp
gebe said:

Very good, love the Corn Dog! I work with illustrator to, but I'm not as fast as you are, man! Don't you keep colors separated by layers?

i color separate into layers when i need to get a design print ready.

pilihp
quick-brown-fox said:

Loved watching these. It's nice to see how other people do stuff without watching over their shoulder. Also, it was great to see what I'm doing right and how I'm going wrong.

i don't know if there's a right or wrong way... just a way you're comfortable with and gets results :)

vectored_life

When I get done with a design, I separate it into layers for printing. I just select the whole design, do the path finder devide and place individual parts on each layer (e.g. yellow arms, blue pants, black outlines, etc). Then I have to recolor each part. I doubt this rambling makes any sense but how do you separate your colors to layers? I'm making a request in the tutorial ideas forum.

pilihp
theillustratorman said:

When I get done with a design, I separate it into layers for printing. I just select the whole design, do the path finder devide and place individual parts on each layer (e.g. yellow arms, blue pants, black outlines, etc). Then I have to recolor each part. I doubt this rambling makes any sense but how do you separate your colors to layers? I'm making a request in the tutorial ideas forum.

that's how i do it too! i first save a print-ready copy that i do it to--in case i mess up. i select all, expand everything (make sure all the paths are converted into shapes), using the wand tool i select one color at a time and paste them in layers and combine them.

vectored_life

Hahaha that's what I have for each design plus others:

• Final Copy - Everything is merged together
  • Separated Copy - Design separated into layers of each color
  • Threadless Layout - the 845 x 445 pic
  • Website Pic - I'm OCD and Want all designs to be the same size on my website

I've never thought of using the magic wand tool. I never really used it so I didn't think about using it to separate. Geniousness is achieved through forum activity. lol

pilihp

if there's anything anyone would like to see done in illustrator, i can try making a video of it.

38 Sunsets

how cool is that! thanks for sharing!

but also this: watch me tinker with selecting colors for 20 minutes. -- dat would be a real thing! seriously! ....yep, no joke ;)

MarkMorbidity

Haha awesome man!!! I realized the song in the "Hardcore Gamer" was a mario song LOL Great stuff man :D post some more c:

lindseliz

so cute! so fun to watch--thanks for posting!

addu
pilihp said:

if there's anything anyone would like to see done in illustrator, i can try making a video of it.

Would love to see a detailed video of how you do texturing in illustrator, if possible :)

Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
No account?