Close
One second...

How do you take care of your shirts properly?

I've always known that I should actually follow directions on tags and whatnot, but it's always just seemed like too much trouble. And of course I always fear failure. But inevitably my shirts always shrink, and wear out, and soon are pretty much unwearable, and I do not want, anymore. So, I just ordered a fresh litter of tees, and I think I'm ready to do it right. How precisely, exactly do you care takers keep your shirts in good size and shape?

I'm most interested in how you dry them, where you hang them, etc., further more, so on.

Watch this
Morkki
Morkki profile pic Alumni

Rule 1: No dryer.

Rule 2: NO DRYER

Morkki

And don't wash 'em in too hot water either. Only towels and linens and shiz like that needs to be washed in hot water.

jaywalkergraphics
jaywalkergraphics profile pic Alumni

WHALE, I was kind of thinking I twern't gonna use the dryer no more. But I'm just kind of a dummy about this stuff. I mean, do I literally just let them drip dry in my closet, or hang them in the shower, or tie them to my car antenna, or what? Because I really don't know. Lifehacks especially appreciated.

PeculiarTiffany
PeculiarTiffany profile pic Alumni

Buy so many shirts that you only wear them a couple of times a year.

melmike
melmike profile pic Alumni

I just hand them over to the girlfriend. Whatever happens after that point is a mystery to me. But I do maintain a significant collection (40ish) which means I don't need to wash an individual tee all the time. (By "I" obviously I mean, not me).

Morkki

This here thing

vectored_life

As ashamed as I am to say this, I own no Threadless shirts at the moment. But seeing the no dryer rule and the girlfriend mystery wash process comments reminds me of how crappy the laundry facility is at my apartment. Clothes shrink even after washing on cold and not drying.

It's magical.

EZFL
EZFL profile pic Alumni

There's this:

but I just throw them in the wash and then into the dryer.

FoodStampDavis
FoodStampDavis profile pic Alumni

In the past... I didn't. Until very recently, I lived a glorious bachelor life. All laundry was accumulated until my hamper weighed roughly 200 lbs. Then it was all done in as large of loads as possible. No separating. No sorting. Just all washed on "warm/cool." Then I would pile it in the dryer and dry on "normal" for hours until it was all dry.

Safe to say, I ruined just about everything. Now, at age 30, my girlfriend does it for me. Or I drop it off at my mom's house while I'm at work. Really.

I'm just the worst.

FoodStampDavis
xiv said:

There's this:

but I just throw them in the wash and then into the dryer.

Well, sure, that's all fine and dandy for you eggheads that can read. But what is to be done for the rest of us?

Morkki

Tumble dry only if you hate your clothes

[+duracell-]

Whoa whoa, apparently heh.. you don't understand.. I don't wear the shirts. I just rub them with a diaper.

But yeah to prevent shrinking, use a drying rack. For added preventative shrikage, stretch shirt over one of those body punching bags and go a few rounds.

To prevent the bottom from stretching out and looking like a sail flappin in the breeze - don't wear to bed.

soloyo
soloyo profile pic Alumni

Best way to take care of your shirts is to never wear them, or don't wear them too often. I have a few of them so I seldom use the same shirt more than twice.

FoodStampDavis

Also, the best way to save money on groceries is to never eat.

Tired of the value of your car depreciating? Never drive it.

You can make your ice cubes last longer if you leave them in the freezer indefinitely.

Stay tuned for more FoodStamp's Practical Advice.

FoodStampDavis

You can make your ice cubes last longer if you leave them in the freezer indefinitely.

BeanePod
BeanePod profile pic Alumni
3 designs submitted - Score now!

i just use magic.

Sarcasticatbest

I wash in cold then hang to dry. It's not as tedious as it seems, when you're throwing the rest of the coloured stuff into the dryer set these aside and slap em up on a drying rack that is out of the way. The shirts I bought my mother, and have seen the dryer, haven't shrunk, but all the pictures are cracked.

Jake Friedman
TheInfamousBaka said:

Its the only way.

I also just wash and dry them without much thought because I'm a slim dude so hopefully no one notices any shrinkage.

jaywalkergraphics
TheInfamousBaka said:

So, you just wash them normally, but never?

FoodStampDavis
jaywalkergraphics said:
TheInfamousBaka said:

Wear and throw away. Take THAT, poor people!

jaywalkergraphics

Buying Threadless shirts is like my little annual party-for-myself. I can maybe do five or so at a time. I ain't got the kind of cash for this new reality!

Also, this.

foodstampdavis said:

jaywalkergraphics
Sarcasticatbest said:

I wash in cold then hang to dry. It's not as tedious as it seems, when you're throwing the rest of the coloured stuff into the dryer set these aside and slap em up on a drying rack that is out of the way. The shirts I bought my mother, and have seen the dryer, haven't shrunk, but all the pictures are cracked.

Chicken dinner for you. But do you wash all of your shirts that way, or just Threadless shirts? I have Army clothes that are super gross, so I'm sure I'd have to separate those, right? Can I wash super dirty stuff cold? IJUSTDONTKNOW. And do you use the rack-type thing that Morkki posted? Or hang them in the bathroom, or what? And what's with parking on a driveway and driving on a parkway?

jaywalkergraphics
foodstampdavis said:
jaywalkergraphics said:
TheInfamousBaka said:

Wear and throw away. Take THAT, poor people!

*Snickerdoodle*
WarDrobeInSpareOom

One time I thought my shirts had shrunk, but it turns out I had just gotten fat.

So, you guys probably just got fat. Stop doing that.

mike bautista
mike bautista profile pic Alumni

unless they're undies or towels or whites, I wash cold and throw them in the dryer. I use that liquid softener and also those tissues. I had no idea dryers were so destructive. my clothes have been cleaned that way since birth and none of them have worn out. the only real cause of my shirts shrinking was me getting fat. I'll see what all the hoopla is about hang drying.

mike bautista
mike bautista profile pic Alumni

or maybe my standards for cleanliness are lower than everyone's and my shirts are all actually shitty and considered unwearable? how worn out are the shirts you threw in the dryer? this is all so weird to me.

jaywalkergraphics

After about, hmm, six months[?] of washing medium and drying in the dryer, the shirts that fit normally when I bought them are about four-or-so inches SHORTER. They still fit technically, but it's so annoying, because they sit at-or-above my waistline. And the sleeves shrink up to look somewhat girlish [although my Pilates instructor tells me that is super flattering].

Haha, and getting fat doesn't make shirts shrink, dudes! It makes them bigger, duh! :D

Morkki
WarDrobeInSpareOom said:

One time I thought my shirts had shrunk, but it turns out I had just gotten fat.

So, you guys probably just got fat. Stop doing that.

I know but I'd rather blame someone else!

Manupix

Wait till I have a machine-full of them, turn them inside out (Only Threadless ever made me do this. See how I love ya?), cold wash, hang dry. No shrinkage nor cracks yet, but I haven't washed any more than half a dozen times yet.

foodstampdavis said:

LIES! They just evaporate away! I KNOW, I did it. Then I stopped having ice cubes altogether.

jaywalkergraphics

I'm just going to hang them on my wall, after all. But thanks for the input, everyone!

littlem

machine wash-cold

hang dry

i'm lucky to have this canopy frame(that i hate) on my bed, but it serves a good purpose. :D

melmike
melmike profile pic Alumni

I don't know about the effects of the dryer, but for me, all my shirts seem to shrink while hanging in the closet, like, they'll be fine, then I'll hang them up and leave them for six months, then I'll come back and they don't fit no more.. cept, it's not just my tees and shirts, it's my jeans, sweaters and my boxers too. Only my socks seem not to shrink, it's the darndest thing.

ps. I love mars bars

littlem
melmike said:

I don't know about the effects of the dryer, but for me, all my shirts seem to shrink while hanging in the closet, like, they'll be fine, then I'll hang them up and leave them for six months, then I'll come back and they don't fit no more.. cept, it's not just my tees and shirts, it's my jeans, sweaters and my boxers too. Only my socks seem not to shrink, it's the darndest thing.

ps. I love mars bars

have you heard of my blog? it's called "this is why i'm fat"

littlem

:P

jaywalkergraphics
melmike said:

ps. I love mars bars

Heh heh heh.

jaywalkergraphics
littlem said:

machine wash-cold

hang dry

i'm lucky to have this canopy frame(that i hate) on my bed, but it serves a good purpose. :D

Note to self: Something about Annie's bed. Will update details later.

littlem
jaywalkergraphics said:
littlem said:

machine wash-cold

hang dry

Note to self: Something about Annie's bed. Will update details later.

:O

????

jaywalkergraphics
BeanePod said:

i just use magic.

Also, this is like a fine wine.

vanillablue

I wash mine in cold water. Select stuff I always hang up to dry. The tees I throw in the dryer.

jaywalkergraphics
vanillablue said:

I wash mine in cold water. Select stuff I always hang up to dry. The tees I throw in the dryer.

So, do you separate them out, and wash them by themselves? Or do you wash everything cold?

Sarcasticatbest

Chicken dinner for you. But do you wash all of your shirts that way, or just Threadless shirts? I have Army clothes that are super gross, so I'm sure I'd have to separate those, right? Can I wash super dirty stuff cold? IJUSTDONTKNOW. And do you use the rack-type thing that Morkki posted? Or hang them in the bathroom, or what? And what's with parking on a driveway and driving on a parkway?

I wash most of my clothes in cold, sheets/towels get hotter water. That being said I don't have super gross army clothes, but if I did I still wouldn't be washing them with my every day clothes.

Driving is wacky, but I live in a small town in the middle of the forest so I don't have parkways and our highways have one lane for each way of travel. Crazy, I know.

My drying rack looks like this and I hang all shirts with printed stuff on them and jeans and clothes that tell me not to put them in dryer. You hear them too, right?

No account?
Join Us