Close
One second...

I don't think I'll ever be printed by Threadless

I've made over a hundred designs. I don't think I'll ever get picked. Oh well, I'll still carry on....whether I'm wanted here or not.

Watch this
Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
Thomas Orrow
1 design submitted - Score now!

I sometimes think that I'd be better off spending my time making a comic or an animation, but that was my goal so I'll just carry on I guess. Maybe I'm just not good enough, but I've spent so much time on here.

TheInfamousBaka
2 designs submitted - Score now!

I'm still hoping that otter space prints. It's adorable and awesome.

Though if you're starting to feel like you're wasting your time (I know the feels), take a break from Threadless and work on other things that may be more fulfilling. :-)

melmike

I'll show you two posters, you can decide which one you want to let inspire you.

Jake Friedman

Giving up now means the terrorists win. Do you really support terrorism?

Thomas Orrow

Ha ha, I'm not literally crying, so no need for the cat posters!

I feel like I want to carry on, but I'm starting to feel a bit bitter about spending time on here. I think I'll stop entering commercial competitions as that was the worst feeling for me.

No more Disney comps etc. and more stuff from me!

Thanks anyway Infamous Baka I watched your tutorial recently and even though I know how to do that already, it was inspiring.

Thomas Orrow

@ Jake I'm actually English, although Go Team 'Murica! :D Maybe I should do an Eagle design in a Nascar.

Thanks Dan & Melmike.

halfgotten

don't give up man! i know how you feel until i got my 1st print here. my thoughts and all frustrations have changed =) keep your subs coming!

Thomas Orrow

It seems so far away and I feel so tired.

Plus Jeff and everybody at Threadless HQ hates me. I'm fighting a losing battle.

Thomas Orrow

I can't be bothered. MUM IT'S NOT FAIR!

WanderingBert

If it's any consolation I subbed over 100 before getting my first print as well. I think the one they chose was my 96th sub or something like that. I felt much of the same, but kept going, and now i've had a heap of them! It's been a couple of years since my last big print though.

You've got the ability to be printed here, I think. I would say though, come up with some other creative goals as well, and use your Threadless experience to keep developing your style and abilities for those other goals (and vice versa).

Twiggyhall

But hey...in my eyes y'all are still great artists....I'm just a silly girl who can't even create half-assed designs...but still supports awesome designers :)

Thomas Orrow

Hi WanderingBert! Thanks for that, that was really nice to read. I'm a big fan of your cartoon works. I really like that arcade tee that you made and all of your other characters. Hope you have another winning spree soon.

I'd like to do different projects, but I have to work as a teacher. Maybe in the holidays.

@ Twiggyhall Hey, your lovely, just keep on being you! I think you would be one of the few people who I wouldn't actually be too scared to meet if I went to one of those Threadthingy meet ups. I've seen your drawings too. You should do more picz.

Thomas Orrow

I also had another account called Boycey, so it's more like my 200th ++ sub. :/

BlancaJP
4 designs submitted - Score now!

I always get depressed when summer turns to fall and I start thinking that everything I do is useless. I try to remind my self it's not real, it's not true , it's the stupid season (fall is the prelude to winter and I hate winter, so fall makes me depressed because It's getting colder and darker and killing summer ! )

you got talent and 100+ (200++) subs is amazing. if I have learned anything while hanging around threadless, it's that it really is the people that makes this place great and your one of them.

Thomas Orrow

It's the summer here. Well, it's sunny all year round in Thailand. :)

Hmmm thanks Blanca, but I don't really feel like that at the moment. I just feel like everybody has been picked apart from me and I feel slightly resentful of that, which is not a nice feeling esp. when the other artists are so cool.

200+ subs just makes me the biggest Threadloser, it's not an accomplishment, it's a defeat. Thanks for replying! :D

Thomas Orrow

I think I'll just sit down and draw the most amazing picture that I can think of. I'll forget about these competitions.

Twiggyhall
Thomas Orrow said:

@ Twiggyhall Hey, your lovely, just keep on being you! I think you would be one of the few people who I wouldn't actually be too scared to meet if I went to one of those Threadthingy meet ups. I've seen your drawings too. You should do more picz.

oh dang *blush...that is too sweet :)

it's true...I'm uber affectionate and want to cuddle all my friends :)

my artistic ability is quite limited, though...but it is sweet of you to say such nice things

*blows kisses :)

BlancaJP
Thomas Orrow said:

It's the summer here. Well, it's sunny all year round in Thailand. :)

Hmmm thanks Blanca, but I don't really feel like that at the moment. I just feel like everybody has been picked apart from me and I feel slightly resentful of that, which is not a nice feeling esp. when the other artists are so cool.

200+ subs just makes me the biggest Threadloser, it's not an accomplishment, it's a defeat. Thanks for replying! :D

hmm :( yeah I know that one too (and I never feel cool) I can see how 200+ can feel like a fail, I try to see it as something done, because .. well sanity and I've had 10 years when I did no drawing or any art at all and after that every piece of something is a plus in my mind even if it is a fail in what I'm hoping it would do, like get printed, it's still more then not having done it at all. so hmm ...

BTW Thailand ! way awesome ! no really, I know it sounds like a line but I so think being anywhere tropical is way cooler then being any where north.

Thomas Orrow

Ha ha, hey Twiggs. That's nice to be all huggy! I'm actually the exact opposite and generally try to not shake hands or anything. Although if I had a beer I might be pushed to accept a light hug.

This is by Twiggyhall btw, if anybody was wondering. (Along with napkin drawings).:)

Thomas Orrow

No, it's OK BlancaJP you were just being nice, no need to explain. There isn't any real upside for that. Yeah, Thailand can be quite fun sometimes and I can get out of bed in the morning without having to see a pitch black sky (like in England).

Glad that you got back into the swing of things, it took me a lot of talking before I got back into stuff as I had a break for about three years I think, although I'd always do the occasional doodle.

lifeform987

I know the feels man, just enjoy what you do and keep on improving! Watch some Arnold Schwarzenegger inspirational videos. hehe

BlancaJP

:) and LOL for the enchanted forest of stache !

Thomas Orrow

Yeah, it's wonderful isn't it! The old moustache monsters on moustaches haha.

@ lifeform987 I've tried the soundboards, but haven't seen the motivational videos.

This one I guess arnoldddd

Robo Rat
5 designs submitted - Score now!

It's 100% sure that Otter Space has been chosen for print already before this blog was made. Correct? Wink wink! :)

Thomas Orrow

No, no e-mail from whoever does it these days. I had high hopes for my Thor design too, but obviously I'm the scourge of Threadless, a pariah and an outcast.

OK, that's enough self pity from me. Fuck, I'll just have to get on with it and make some impossibly brilliant work, so they can't say no.

Wharton

Why do you think that Threadless don't like you?

I think everyone can relate to feeling a bit unappreciated sometimes, especially when we're all working so hard towards the same goal. But I guess when you have so much ace work to go through people are inevitably missed out.

I hope you don't mind me saying this, but sometimes I think you whizz through your work too quickly, when sometimes it just needs more time and attention to detail. I think you have some great ideas, but you just rush them a little. I do it too and get carried away and excited by subbing and don't spend enough time on it.

celandinestern

otter space is lovely. I know it's tough and we all often feel disheartened (well ok not ALL of us, but you know what I mean) but what usually helps me is to go look at all the other amazing stuff that also isn't printing and just realize there's so much talent here, it's hard to get to everyone. I think if you keep making stuff like otter space you're sure to get picked at some point. Never give up!

Thomas Orrow

Oh, I dunno I did that Ambassadorship thing and then quit because a few people turned on me. We were making a comic but then it all went wrong. I don't know I think maybe my art is the wrong style or something. Also there was this guy who said a load of crap about me on Twitter which really upset me.

I'll try and work on the details on the future. That's OK, that's a fair comment, I think I just need to do the regular comps more so I'm not rushing to finish each time. Cheers for the input Chris.

I agree with you Lidija, there is a lot of amazing stuff that gets printed, but I think that not all of it is to my taste or even that good sometimes. I think maybe about 60% of the stuff is truly unique and amazing, for me anyway.

Thomas Orrow

Jesus, I should probably just join another website or something this has all gone a bit wrong.

celandinestern

oh yeah, honestly if I were picking the Threadless prints I think only about 5% of my choices would be the same as the current picks. My favorites are always elsewhere. But I guess that's how it works.... we as artists have particular artistic tastes, and Threadless aims for what will be appealing to the largest number of people, be they artistically minded or not, so their angle is more broad and not based just on 'we think this is cool' but probably also their experience and knowledge of what tends to sell well.

It's like Society 6, I was talking to some people and most of them say that their best selling pieces on S6 are pieces they personally like the least, and the stuff that is their own favorite isn't successful in sales at all. That made me wonder how big is that disconnect between what I as an artist like and feel excited by and what the general public likes when they look at my work.

If it's making you upset or frustrated sometimes it's best to just take a break. I've had a couple of Threadless breaks, lasting anywhere from a few months up to a year or so. But I always come back because I love all you people here and I love exchanging ideas with everyone. I don't even care at this stage if they never print me again (and it's really not looking like they will). It's a family thing now. You guys are my friends.

v.calahan

Taking a break can do the trick, but don't give up! Took me 2 years between my first and second print and a LOTS of subs and bitterness. Then I just tried focusing on doing stuff regardless of the outcome and tried remembering why I came in here in the first place, fun and experimenting. Anyways you got skills and hope the Print God comes visit soon!

Thomas Orrow

OK, thanks guys. I hate to sound like a moaning minnie, but I would be lying to myself if I didn't say that I felt bitter about the whole Threadless experience.

Of course it has been a real joy to get to know some of you like Lidija and Chris, but there have been other times where it's just been a source of frustration.

Also, thanks Mr. Vincent, that makes a lot of sense to me. I'll be back (said in a Terminator voice).

chuck p comics

yeah it can get discouraging.....and I have just come to the realization that I don't want to do comps anymore, because it's pointless, although I am inspired by them, there will always be someone with more talent and a better idea! and that's fine and all, and good for the winner but crap scores is what makes it feel pointless, maybe I've been kidding myself this hole time thinking there was a small small chance of a print! but that said, I have become so much better of an artist in such a small period of time and im only gonna get better, and that's not pride or arrogance, that's passion! it's gonna get rough but as the shins say, "there is no short cut to a dream" and as my ad astra per aspera design says (one of my designs) through hardship to the stars! dude you have some amazing designs and a print will come your way! hope this helps my fellow kitten and sorry if all this has been said before, I am gonna read what everyone else has said now, darn my short attention span!

benjaminleebates

I learned all that I know in illustration from participating in contest here and elsewhere. So don't get discouraged, and look at all the effort as skill building rather than a complete waste of time. If you have skills, and want to make money, there are plenty of websites for that. 99designs, mycroburst, etc.

Twiggyhall

Hahaha oh dang... *blush blush

FoodStampDavis
chuck p comics said:

oh and....

I used to have a cat that looked like that white one.

Anyway, what's everybody talking about?

Twiggyhall
Thomas Orrow said:

Ha ha, hey Twiggs. That's nice to be all huggy! I'm actually the exact opposite and generally try to not shake hands or anything. Although if I had a beer I might be pushed to accept a light hug.

This is by Twiggyhall btw, if anybody was wondering. (Along with napkin drawings).:)

oh and I should mention that Perry did an amazing re-working of this design and if anyone's interested, it's up for sale at another koff Tee koff Public *koff koff site...

opifan64

You have the talent to get printed and some strong work. I think anyone with a certain degree of talent can get printed with the requisite persistence. I think bitterness sets in when you get tunnel vision about threadless. It's like unrequited love. There are plenty of places online to make money from your artwork but you have to expand your horizons a bit and divide your efforts. I know artists who make thousands every month on sites like Rad and society6. There are countless PoD sites like the kase, prints on wood, bespo, etc, etc. Keep submitting to threadless for sure but let go of the disappointment and bitterness because that will only destroy your creativity. Embrace the positive and believe in your talent. The hardest thing to do is to hang on to that belief without any outside validation, but it's critical.

opifan64

I think you definitely have the talent to get printed, and some strong designs. I think anyone with a certain level of talent can get printed eventually with the requisite persistence. Bitterness can set in when you get tunnel vision about Threadless. It's like unrequited love. There are lots of places online to make money from your artwork (society6, redbubble, the kase, bespo, prints on wood, etc). Keep submitting to Threadless but maybe expand your horizons a bit and divide your efforts. It's tough to believe in yourself and remain positive without external validation but it's critical.

Thomas Orrow

Yes, I should expand my horizons a bit more. I've got a Red Bubble account and a defunct S6, which did work for a while. I'll have to re-upload the S6 stuff.

Well, yep. it's not about money really as I could have earned far more by giving private tuition or doing any job than by submitting to Threadless. I just feel disappointed as I don't have as much as a postcard to show for my efforts. I also entered lots of competitions to win tees on here and didn't win anything either.

I'm just going to recoup and sub some better art when I have more energy, thanks everybody for your kindness and understanding.

@ Twiggyhall Nice one! That was too good an idea to fall by the wayside.

Thomas Orrow

I do want to give up teaching and be a freelancer one day though.

Theo86

We both know that you def will be printed before I do, as Wharton says you may Whizz through your work too fast but I def been like that lately too with all the challenges going on.

Though I don't see you going through your work too fast since they look top notch to me.

SaltySteveD

I'd prefer to think of Threadless as a way to hone your skills. Ideally the more you submit the more you'll become of aware of two things.

1. What you like doing and 2. what other people like buying.

And as defeating as it sounds (though I mean the opposite) you may realize that Threadless just might not be your crowd. And that's okay; Threadless is hardly my crowd either. It's essentially a big club and very few people are actually in it.

In other words, don't take rejection too seriously. And if all else fails, sell out and throw in a Tardis. No, context isn't important. If it has a Tardis in it you will get votes. ;)

SaltySteveD

I'd prefer to think of Threadless as a way to hone your skills. Ideally the more you submit the more you'll become of aware of two things.

1. What you like doing and 2. what other people like buying.

And as defeating as it sounds (though I mean the opposite) you may realize that Threadless just might not be your crowd. And that's okay; Threadless is hardly my crowd either. It's essentially a big club and very few people are actually in it.

In other words, don't take rejection too seriously. And if all else fails, sell out and throw in a Tardis. No, context isn't important. If it has a Tardis in it you will get votes. ;)

Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
No account?