Close
One second...

Celandine finally on S6! GIVE ME TIPS!!!!

Alrighty, I've finally got a Society 6 account, late to the party as ever!!!

Soooo.... now what? I know that I should upload work in small batches and not all at once, and I know I should go around favoriting and commenting on other people's work in order to make connections. Does anyone else have any wise tips? Anyone who wants me to follow them or promote some of their stuff? I'm not really clear on how this all is gonna go down.

Also I thought it would be wise to promote somewhere like on Pinterest, so I'm dabbling there, but I totally don't understand that place - does anyone have some salient advice for gaining followers on there?

Generally the whole self-promotion thing is a mystery to me, and a solid departure from my 'post only on Threadless and occasionally put up something on my FB page' method.

Have you guys done the facebook contests like 'like and share my page and I'll give you free artwork/ digital orgasms/ whatever'? How did that work out? I'm always afraid of people feeling pissed off or pestered or spammed if I do stuff like that.

I'll be super grateful for any thoughts.

Watch this
Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
speakerine
speakerine profile pic Alumni
7 designs submitted - Score now!

Oh amazing you finally did it !!! I think you'll sell a lot.

I don't do any promotion on network websites, but I'm quite active on the site. I promote and comments things I love, and follow my fav artists. I think pinterest is a good idea . Keep uploading regulary new designs (on every product they sell , that's important) and you'll be promoted on their homepage, which will make you more promotes and then, more popularity.

Very glad you're on S6.

kzjl
kzjl profile pic Alumni

congrats, celanddinestern. I'm planning to join s6 also.. but the register page is not working. lol

celandinestern
celandinestern profile pic Alumni

Thanks for the tips, Flo!!! I know it's a game of patience and one needs to build things up slowly but I'm always so eager for things to happen NOWWW! :D

So far I'm uploading onto everything except tee shirts because some pieces just don't fit well on a tee in their execution. (Like my overall patterns, would be weird to just do a square tile. I might do alternate versions though).

The good thing is it takes a long time to sort files out and get them prepped and uploaded, so whether I want to or not I have to take things slowly and upload a few at a time.

speakerine
speakerine profile pic Alumni
7 designs submitted - Score now!
celandinestern said:

Thanks for the tips, Flo!!! I know it's a game of patience and one needs to build things up slowly but I'm always so eager for things to happen NOWWW! :D

So far I'm uploading onto everything except tee shirts because some pieces just don't fit well on a tee in their execution. (Like my overall patterns, would be weird to just do a square tile. I might do alternate versions though).

The good thing is it takes a long time to sort files out and get them prepped and uploaded, so whether I want to or not I have to take things slowly and upload a few at a time.

Yes it takes a long time ! I don't upload often on tee neither..

celandinestern

It's awkward because they insist you offer at least 3 tee colors, and honestly nothing really works on that many colors, especially the ones they're offering.

ivanrodero
celandinestern said:

It's awkward because they insist you offer at least 3 tee colors, and honestly nothing really works on that many colors, especially the ones they're offering.

I hate that and the same template for different products thing, If we could have more control on that instead of making compromises it would be the awesomest thing ever.

celandinestern

well you do upload a separate file for the tee so you can sort of change it. It's the best they can do with that business model though I guess.

man I'm so conflicted. I want time to pass faster and more slowly at the same time.

Manupix

Good job!

How are you getting paid? Did you finally convince paypal to operate in Serbia?

Also, hint hint ;) and also these: 1, 2, 3.

celandinestern

oooh I was wondering where those were!!!! thanks!!

I killed a friend and I'm wearing her skin now. It's the only way the system lets me log in. Srsly though, a friend who lives abroad has kindly agreed to enter a partnership with me and basically be my window to the world. I owe her big time. I'm gonna take her to the Bahamas when I get rich off of my sales.

Morkki
Morkki profile pic Alumni
1 design submitted -

Followed & promoted. Your patterns are perfect for the pillows and the laptop skins! I find some products at S6 a little awkward, like when they use the same file for shirts and totes or the same file for stationery cards and phone cases.

celandinestern

Thanks, got you too!!!

yeah some of the solutions are not ideal, but some work pretty well. I love seeing my work on pillows. I wanna sell stuff at a pillow store. That would be awsum.

kzjl
kzjl profile pic Alumni

whats' the problem when joining? i got this message on s6 when fillinf up the form and hit enter "This page is temporarily unavailable. Please try again later." it happens gazillion times already. do you have any idea?

celandinestern

it worked alright for me? you could try writing to their support/ help link

kzjl
kzjl profile pic Alumni

i'll try that.

soloyo
soloyo profile pic Alumni

AWESOME! If I wasn't already broke I probably will go broke buying most of your stuff on Society6.

celandinestern

sounds like an error on the site. they should be able to give you some idea how to work around it.

kzjl
kzjl profile pic Alumni

yeah, i'm thinking that also.. i emailed them already, just waiting for them to reply.

celandinestern
soloyo said:

AWESOME! If I wasn't already broke I probably will go broke buying most of your stuff on Society6.

that's high praise indeed!!! also thanks for the share, Nestor! Everyone is really being super wonderful about this :D

I can't wait to upload moar stuff. Shop looks lonely with just 3 things. What should I put up next? I was thinking some of the new funny animal thingies.

MadKobra
MadKobra profile pic Alumni
1 design submitted -

i follow you :)

celandinestern

I need some sort of patience training. I have refreshed every interwebs page about a vajillion times today. Like something cosmic is about to happen any second now.

goliath72
goliath72 profile pic Alumni
1 design submitted -

MY TIP is KEEP BEING AWESOME!

FoodStampDavis
FoodStampDavis profile pic Alumni

I tried S6 once, but it admittedly confused the shit out of me. It wouldn't take my files for shirts and after a dozen tries I just quit. Now I redbubble.

FoodStampDavis

I tried S6 once, but it admittedly confused the shit out of me. It wouldn't take my files for shirts and after a dozen tries I just quit. Now I redbubble.

celandinestern

I like your tip, Dan :) I'm gonna try that out!! :D

Hahah I dunno, it works ok for me except it takes furevurrr for the files to upload because they have to be so big. Also it's a bitch to make all the individual formats, I wish I could just use the big one and move it around on templates.

FoodStampDavis

If Threadless would just hurry up and print every single thing we make, we wouldn't have to sweat this S6 nonsense.

celandinestern

Yeah, srsly. Get on it, Threadless.

micheleficeli

Coool that you're there now. I'm following you :)

i'm not being on that site too much lately, so i really don't know how to be famous there nowadays, but here's something that may save you some time when posting stuff for sale: here

celandinestern
Ragnampiza said:

Coool that you're there now. I'm following you :)

i'm not being on that site too much lately, so i really don't know how to be famous there nowadays, but here's something that may save you some time when posting stuff for sale: here

Woah that's really cool!!! Thanks!!! All the file prep work is killing me. Such a paiiiin. it's eating up my drawing time. My amazing drowning unicorns pattern is stagnating.

I'm digging into Redbubble now too. Is that better or worse?

kzjl
kzjl profile pic Alumni

too bad they have replied and they said this -We apologize for any inconvenience, but at this time registration isn't available in your country. - and now i can't access their website, i think they have blocked my I.P or something. I'm from the Philippines btw. =/

radiomode
radiomode profile pic Alumni
1 design submitted -

I have the impression that Redbubble is largely directed toward t-shirt. Even when they sell poster and smartphone cases, it is t-shirt that is selling. If you are not selling your design on t-shirt, Redbubble may not be for you imo.

celandinestern

That's a great tip! I'll put up templates for all the products, just in case. The carpet-bombing approach.

aww that sucks, not even being allowed to register!! Wonder why.

jaywalkergraphics
jaywalkergraphics profile pic Alumni
foodstampdavis said:

Yup. I actually was on RedBubble before I came over here. The community is awesome, laid back, and generally more accepting of different styles than T'less. Admittedly, though, they did focus a lot on shirts early on while they were seemingly sorting things out, but they print on AA, so that's a plus.

I also recommend them a lot for one-off stuff, because the quality is good, and the mark-up is not too bad at all.

celandinestern

what does one-off stuff mean, Jay? I haz teh stupid.

jaywalkergraphics

Oh, it's nothing fancy. Just referring to designs that are not needed in bulk [i.e. you only need to print "one off"]. Cheesy little thrown-together shirts for sports competitions or super-specific projects for birthday gifts. A lot of places provide you the tools to do it, but they print on crappy materials, or the print quality is questionable, or the print limitations are really restrictive. RedBubble strikes a nice balance, for me.

digsy
digsy profile pic Alumni

Talking if redbubble - how do you guys get round the colour changing thing? Everything I upload goes awfully dull which i understand has something to do with their print process, but then I see stuff that doesn't look that dull and crappy - I have no idea what I need to do to mine to avoid it.

digsy
digsy profile pic Alumni

And congrats in the s6 page - finally! Your patterns are beautifully suited to some of their products - I might treat myself to some cushions one day soon :-)

celandinestern

Gotcha, Jay!

digsy said:

And congrats in the s6 page - finally! Your patterns are beautifully suited to some of their products - I might treat myself to some cushions one day soon :-)

aww I'd love my first sale to come from someone familiar :) wait till I upload more stuff though, you don't have much of a choice at the moment. Prepping all the files is such a chore, it's gonna take me weeks to get the major stuff up.

I'm getting the hang of things slowly, I think. Currently I'm applying the carpet bombing approach, I'll probably do a cull later when I see which sites are not working out.

celandinestern

on the colors, did you save in the color mode they suggest? I was uploading mine late last night so my brain was in a fog but it looked alright I think. I'm gonna go check tonight.

and where is that babyyyyy? :D

Tonteau
Tonteau profile pic Alumni

I've folloewd you, but don't ask me for tips. I've made virtually nothign from Soc6

celandinestern

Thanks man. I think most people there make pretty much nothing, you sort of have to become a sensation elsewhere before good stuff happens to you on S6. But I figure digging away at it can't hurt. It won't sell if it's not up there, right?

jaywalkergraphics
digsy said:

Talking if redbubble - how do you guys get round the colour changing thing? Everything I upload goes awfully dull which i understand has something to do with their print process, but then I see stuff that doesn't look that dull and crappy - I have no idea what I need to do to mine to avoid it.

Hey digsy, I haven't experienced any significant color issues, myself, either. Was it a particular color or design, or just everyhthing behaving that way?

digsy
digsy profile pic Alumni

its always been an issue for me with everything i've uploaded on there, although admittedly i havne't added anything new in years mostly for this very reason, so maybe it's changed. Basically i save out in the profile they suggest (can't remember what it is now) but when i upload it dullsthe colors out dramatically. There seem to be a few topics on it and there's this post which gives a colour conversion chart of what your colours look like and what they'll look like once uploaded to redbubble. but then it's ancient, so maybe this is something that isn't an issue anymore. if i get a chance I'll try get a screen grab and show you what i mean - i'd love for it to not be a problem though as it's definitely stopped me from using redbubble as much as i would like to.

celandinestern

maybe try it out now and see if the problem is still there? They might have improved something on their end.

celandinestern

I've put some more stuff up, finally getting into a routine with the templates! I want to modify some of the patterns for shirts, but that's so much work, sigh.

quick-brown-fox
quick-brown-fox profile pic Alumni
5 designs submitted - Score now!

I've invited you to a group on facebook which is full of people who chat about society6 and help each other promote. I think an administrator of that group should approve it at some stage.

celandinestern
quick-brown-fox said:

I've invited you to a group on facebook which is full of people who chat about society6 and help each other promote. I think an administrator of that group should approve it at some stage.

awesome, thanks so much!!

I realised I actually don't know jack about promoting. Like, there's your FB page, there's your website.... and then what?

There are things like Pinterest and Wanelo, which I'm using but also don't really know how to generate any real interest on them, beyond a few dozen friends who are following me.

Then there should be some way to reach out to targeted communities who you think may be interested in your stuff. Like, I've started to make some downloadable digital resources now for Creative Market, and who should I market that to? Scrapbookers, web designers? Designers in general? I need promotion training.

celandinestern

I'm thinking of doing one of those annoying 'like and share for a chance to win xyz' things on FB once I have some more stuff in the shop.

quick-brown-fox
quick-brown-fox profile pic Alumni
5 designs submitted - Score now!

Promoting feels random, chore-like, plus I'm pretty lazy. I have a tumblr, but rarely use it. I have some posts on tumblr which got tens of thousands of promotes, but that was down to a guy who has this page and spotted my work on the society6 front page.

I just generally post work on society6 because you never know what people will buy. I have no idea what people like, I'm terrible at guessing. This is the reason I submit virtually everything I make to Threadless.

What makes it even more random is my best selling designs on Society 6 aren't even the ones with most promotes. My best selling thing at the moment is a monstrosity!

Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
No account?