Close
One second...

Tutorial Suggestions

The Art Dept. (Speedy, Jillian and myself) are going to start posting some tutorials soon, and we were wondering what kind of stuff would you guys like to see?

We're thinking of doing small specific ones, like halftones, texture, sizing, coloring etc, just a few of the ways we work on some of the projects here and personal submissions.

I'll start the first one and post it sometime next week.

So let me know what you guys want to see :)

Watch this
Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
jeffreyg
jeffreyg profile pic Staff

texture/distressing would be cool

Queeg500

Halftones gets a big thumbs up from me!

Steger

i still suck a digitizing hand drawings. tutes on that toot-sweet.

GyleDesigns

How to talk to girls?!!

jeffreyg
jeffreyg profile pic Staff
GyleDesigns said:

How to talk to girls?!!

GIRLS. OBVIOUSLYYYY

alexmdc
alexmdc profile pic Staff
1 design submitted - Score now!
GyleDesigns said:

How to talk to girls?!!

Dude ask your bro! haha

airdeh

Selecting colors schemes!

No matter how many designs I look at i'm still stumped when it comes to getting colors to work right together on a shirt, so something about how you guys start choosing colors etc would be nice :)

celandinestern
  • choosing colors
  • hand-drawing text
  • shading and texturing
  • finishing touches/ final polish (I often feel I fail here - everything is going awesome but then somehow it doesn't come together at the end
  • integration on the tee (tons of people fail at 'grounding' the design on the tee
celandinestern

also awesome that you guys are doing this!!!

mechanicalrobotpower

Is this for Skillshare? or just within the Threadless site. ...cause I would LOVE to see some sort of tutorial or guideline for scoring designs.

EZFL
  1. How to use a t-shirt template / how to make your own / how to achieve a realistic mock-up. There's always people asking how to use them.

2. Illustrator tips/tricks: pen tool, pathfinder, etc.

vectored_life

For some reason, shadows in general came to mind but definitely halftones. Maybe tutorials on reducing colors and taking advantage of the shirt as a color as well as setting up layers for if people get printed

vectored_life

Oh, and how to get printed lol jk. But maybe drawing in photoshop (i.e. drawing on paper but digitally)

vectored_life

Oh, and how to get printed lol jk. But maybe drawing in photoshop (i.e. drawing on paper but digitally)

5eth

How to do this

lxlopes

I think, maybe something about to make great things with 5 colors and something about creating the whole concept (ex.: How to begin? Concept or art?)

alexmdc
mechanicalrobotpower said:

Is this for Skillshare? or just within the Threadless site. ...cause I would LOVE to see some sort of tutorial or guideline for scoring designs.

This will all be pretty quick simple tutorials on here.

Morkki

alexmdc
Morkki said:

DUUUH!

littlem

how to win heartz

alexmdc
littlem said:

how to win heartz

you just have to get a heart container

littlem
alexmdc said:
littlem said:

how to win heartz

you just have to get a heart container

digsy

some simple stuff for noobs wouldn't go amiss - how to use the templates and put your design on a shirt for example. Those seem to be questions that come up a LOT

unaifg
celandinestern said:
  • choosing colors
  • hand-drawing text
  • shading and texturing
  • finishing touches/ final polish (I often feel I fail here - everything is going awesome but then somehow it doesn't come together at the end
  • integration on the tee (tons of people fail at 'grounding' the design on the tee

Thumbs up for those!

digsy

and this wouldn't have to be a full blown video (although it could be) but maybe a "this is how to use the forum" tutorial would be helpful - how to post links and images etc. really introductory stuff that there doesn't seem to be any indication of at the moment.

alexmdc
digsy said:

and this wouldn't have to be a full blown video (although it could be) but maybe a "this is how to use the forum" tutorial would be helpful - how to post links and images etc. really introductory stuff that there doesn't seem to be any indication of at the moment.

great suggestions we can probably involve others as well and not just the art dept.

littlem

you might want to check out the good tutorial blogs that have already been posted and link them up there, too, in addition to your fabulous videos.

YaaH

Jayme Art

--thank you :D How to add halftone would be cool.

What program will you be using?

soloyo-collabs
5eth said:

How to do this

Simple, get an itch you can't reach.

chuck p comics

id like to see your process alex, start to finish!

azrael5

texturing.....like the one you did to your NPR submission...Thanks brother

radiomode

Transfer drawing from paper to computer, since there are a lot of blog posts about it

thompson98

best brush settings and strokes

EricKaz

Halftones and shading in both photoshop and illustrator.

hellofromthemoon

Halftones would be really helpful. Also some T-shirt specific stuff in one tutorial maybe, like 'how to separate colors into layers' or 'how Threadless prints things' since those seem to come up a lot in the forum.

ChrisDB

Hey! I'd love to see some halftones, some illustrator tutorial, maybe even one on lighting, like the hot chicks on wolves tee.

lunchboxbrain

All the above. I'm especially in seeing how you apply your subtle distress/halftone style textures.

nikoby

I want Alex to do a tutorial on break dancing

Elma e Francis

How to make art just with a mouse.

johnnysPeter
celandinestern said:
  • choosing colors
  • hand-drawing text
  • shading and texturing

I agree on all of these.

melmike

How about a tutorial on what constitutes a concept? At least to Threadless' standards. There seem to be a lot of people confused on that one. I have no idea how you'd do it, I just think there are a million technical tutorials on youtube, but little out there, if anything, that delves into the creative thought process, and how artist's like Alex go about taking the ideas in their heads and transferring them onto a tee.

nikoby
melmike said:

How about a tutorial on what constitutes a concept? At least to Threadless' standards. There seem to be a lot of people confused on that one. I have no idea how you'd do it, I just think there are a million technical tutorials on youtube, but little out there, if anything, that delves into the creative thought process, and how artist's like Alex go about taking the ideas in their heads and transferring them onto a tee.

this

Underdawg
jeffreyg said:

texture/distressing would be cool

This. Your work, alexmdc, always has legit texturing and subtle patterns in it that make the designs pop.

Evancooleo

Halftones, sizing, or any advice would be marvelous

badbasilisk

how to draw harry potter ...

melmike

^ I fuking love the internet.

celandinestern

bahahahahah

yeah something on ideas and concepts would be cool, though I don't quite know how you capture that. But pointing out aspects of a good idea versus a bad one.

Morkki

I'd like more in-depth technical info on what kind of halftones are good for the Threadless printers. What's the right angle to avoid moiré and what's the maximum lpi that can be printed with different inks/techniques.

Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
No account?