Close
One second...

A Continuous Line Challenge - !!.IT'S OVER.!!

After coming off of the Minimalism Challenge I was thinking about some different art styles and had a thought.

^Use This Logo on your submission presentation.^

--

A Design Challenge focused around a continuous Line Drawing

Kind of like a blind contour drawing but with more control and you can look at the drawing when you need to.

Deadline - September 21-29th - Submit this Week

Now this doesn't have to be hand drawn and scanned in or anything because I have accomplished this style and gotten printed before by doing all the line work in Vector with a mouse. See my "Classic Grills" example below.

Guidelines:
• Design/Illustration MUST be created using at least 1 Main Continuous Line
"Extra Smaller Supporting Lines" can be used as long as the Main Continuous Line is obvious, but 1 line only designs are encouraged.
• The Main Continuous Line CAN Overlap when needed.
No Mazes (I can just see all the damn Maze designs coming out of this and UGH NO to that)
• Only 1 to 2 colors can be used through out the entire design/illustration
• No limit per person on how many you can submit but if you are doing it right then one design might take you a while to get perfect. ...but I'm old, slow, and have very little freetime.
• Submit as many as you'd like on the deadline dates. Deadline - September 21-23rd
• Include the Logo on your submission

Original Deadline - September 21-23rd - Deadline.

Finished Scores
lugepuar - Airline = 3.34
Pyne - Yarn Cat = 3.28
BeanePod - The Persistence of Life = 3.28
38 Sunsets - continuous play = 3.24
lugepuar - Linescape = 3.20
janita.han - a continuous line houses on a hill = 3.17
chuck p comics - pen-guin = 3.17
Elma e Francis & bortwein Collab - The Kite Line = 3.10
bortwein - A few Favorite Time Pieces = 3.08
bortwein - Horror Hands = 3.06
Underdawg - John Han(d)cock = 3.04
palitosci - Deadline = 3.00
BlancaJP - IN 3D = 2.99
BlancaJP - Never Ending Mix Tape = 2.98
lugepuar - Today is Dealine = 2.91
Christina.A.art - Bunny Flying a Kite = FAIL = 2.76
AnthonyMoore - T Rex Just wants to be friends = 2.73
ostrich. - the self conscious peacock = 2.72
berlynhubler - Dog Pile = 2.59
airdeh - Heart Break = 2.52
chuck p comics - Piano Man = 2.42

Interested Yes:
mip1980
jamesnotjim
azrael5
Chaymation
thompson98

Maybe:
celandinestern
xiv
Ragnampiza
El-Be
unaifg
OwlsOnTheBrain
JackMoumdjian

Blind Contour Drawing Examples

Extreme Example art by Faber Castell

Here is another example that I had created for a work project. The art never got used but I really liked how the line work came out:

Saul Steinberg example with 1 main continuous line with several supporting extra lines:

Oscar Berger example with lines that cross over:

Watch this
Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. 8
bortwein
bortwein profile pic Alumni
BlancaJP said:

what do you think, should I sub this - too simple, too messy ? it's 2 lines with a little color over the other line over the heart.

Cute. Maybe look to improve the teddy bear shape a bit more. It is a bit boxy and could be softer. The concept is pretty good.

bortwein
Ragnampiza said:

Surely i'm not making the deadline with this. I did got an idea, but actually dropped it for a while because didn't liked the way it was going. Now i'm thinking of a new approach to it, and want to take it further. Is it okay if i sub some day after the deadline (maybe even a week), or should i go with just regular threadless?

Submit it any time you want. the deadline was suggested and since we don't have prizes I don't see a problem.

BlancaJP
BlancaJP profile pic Alumni

thanks bortwein I'll see what I can do

lugepuar
lugepuar profile pic Alumni
bortwein said:
lugepuar said:

In process

Love love... LOVE This.

Skate_e1
1 design submitted -

I want to participate I have to do?

bortwein

Just submitted this:
and this too

bortwein

updated. Start voting for people when you can

berlynhubler
berlynhubler profile pic Alumni

Definitely going to be late on this one... sorry!

lugepuar
bortwein said:

Just submitted this:
and this too

Really nice

bortwein

Keep submitting and/or Keep working on your ideas. No worries if they are late. This is an open challenge and if you get an idea keep going on it until you finish it.

Pyne
Pyne profile pic Alumni
1 design submitted -

Those monster hands are GREAT!

In fact, super impressed with all of the continuous line subs- neat stuff coming out of this.

bortwein

I'm looking forward to voting on lugepuar's planes design. I'm all over that with a 5$ and I hope Threadless notices it because I'd love to buy it.

bortwein
Elma e Francis said:

Doing some cleaning and I have an interesting idea I may try. Will share some progress later today.

lugepuar
bortwein said:

I'm looking forward to voting on lugepuar's planes design. I'm all over that with a 5$ and I hope Threadless notices it because I'd love to buy it.

Thay are waiting for approval

bortwein
lugepuar said:
bortwein said:

Thay are waiting for approval

ostrich.

The hands look awesome bort!

BlancaJP

Bortwein wow ! awesome designs.

My early subbed designs got done with 2.99 for in 3D and 2.98 for the mix tape one.

bortwein
BlancaJP said:

Bortwein wow ! awesome designs.

My early subbed designs got done with 2.99 for in 3D and 2.98 for the mix tape one.

Good Scores. I'd be happy with those.

Updated the main text. Does anyone have designs PENDING at the moment? I know of lugepuar's planes, and my 2 designs.

Thanks again to everyone submitting to this. Keep going if you are working on one. Late is ok.

palitosci
palitosci profile pic Alumni

awesome works dudes!

bortwein

so excited.

38Sunsets
38Sunsets profile pic Alumni
4 designs submitted - Score now!

amazing lines guys!

I've just send my sub. as soon as it will be approved I'll send you my link.

thanks mr bortwein! ;)

lugepuar

I`ve really loved this challenge, thank you guys and thank you bortwein for this great challenge idea.

Elma e Francis

E-mailed you back, Bandon :)

bortwein

bump vote

bortwein
Elma e Francis said:

E-mailed you back, Bandon :)

Replied with your changes attached.

BlancaJP

scored ! and thanks bortwein for the challenge and introduction / inspiration to do this style of design

Christina.A.art

Submitted my design it is super late! haha Thanks for the awesome challenge Bortwein! It was fun and stressful! Hope my design gets up today crosses fingers! Goodnight!

38Sunsets
38Sunsets profile pic Alumni
4 designs submitted - Score now!

hi, i am very happy to be approved. THANK YOU Bortwein for this crazy cool challenge!

here is my sub: http://thrdl.es/~/2gHU title: Continuous Play

bortwein
Christina.A.art said:

Submitted my design it is super late! haha Thanks for the awesome challenge Bortwein! It was fun and stressful! Hope my design gets up today crosses fingers! Goodnight!

No worries about being late.

Anyone else still working on a design please try to get it done and submitted this week and that would be great.

Christina.A.art

Super excited!!!! haha My design is up... Bunny flying a kite = Fail is up for scoring!!!!! Thanks again Bortwein AWESOME challenge!! :)

Pyne
Pyne profile pic Alumni
1 design submitted -

Haha! Poor bunny :)

bortwein

Updated. Keep submitting during this week. Let's cut it off for the Official List of participants on the 29th.
Cheers Everyone

AnthonyMoore

Is this strong enough? I was getting ready to ink it... (I still might connect the eye to the single line, and then have the dash a smaller stroke..)

bortwein
AnthonyMoore said:

Is this strong enough? I was getting ready to ink it... (I still might connect the eye to the single line, and then have the dash a smaller stroke..)

Nice concept. My suggestions would be:
• Make the T-rex "T" body much much bigger. The dino already makes a pretty good T shape. Check out this reference
• I agree with the eye could be connected pretty easy with a few line around the upper brow of the T rex.
• The dash could be a separate line if you want it to be.
• The start and stop point of your line could be the either the Tail or the end of the x.

bortwein

Also have some fun with the text widths since you are making them out of the outline they don't have to be perfectly equal line widths.

AnthonyMoore

^ Thanks, bortwein! I'll take that into consideration! I was thinking of having the line start and stop point at the heel of the foot, I'm not sure yet ha. Thanks again.

AnthonyMoore

Do you think this reads better? (Also, lines on his back or no?)

Christina.A.art

Super cute with the baby dinosaur inside lol

AnthonyMoore

^ Haha, disregard that baby dino!

AnthonyMoore

What if the "x" was a person running? Opinions..

AnthonyMoore

I'm just going to go with the last one (the guy running away)..I think it adds to the concept (and well, I like it, ahha). I hope it still reads as "T-rex." And I should have it submitted by tomorrow. Sorry, for the delay. Thanks, bortwein, for the inspiration. I've never tried this before and still have some other ideas which I hope to pursue down the road.

bortwein

I'd vote for no guy running but if you like it then it is your call. I also think T rex "T" could be bigger and lower to the ground with shorter leg.

bortwein
Killer Napkins said:

I just doodled these real quick, just for practice.. I kept thinking a cyclops of some sort maybe. I am not sure.

These need to get finished up. They are cool.

bortwein

Just submitted the collab between me and Elma e Francis.

chuck p comics
chuck p comics profile pic Alumni
1 design submitted -

hmmmmm....extended deadline......get back to work brain!

Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. 8
No account?