A Continuous Line Challenge - !!.IT'S OVER.!!

After coming off of the Minimalism Challenge I was thinking about some different art styles and had a thought.

^Use This Logo on your submission presentation.^

--

A Design Challenge focused around a continuous Line Drawing

Kind of like a blind contour drawing but with more control and you can look at the drawing when you need to.

Deadline - September 21-29th - Submit this Week

Now this doesn't have to be hand drawn and scanned in or anything because I have accomplished this style and gotten printed before by doing all the line work in Vector with a mouse. See my "Classic Grills" example below.

Guidelines:
• Design/Illustration MUST be created using at least 1 Main Continuous Line
"Extra Smaller Supporting Lines" can be used as long as the Main Continuous Line is obvious, but 1 line only designs are encouraged.
• The Main Continuous Line CAN Overlap when needed.
No Mazes (I can just see all the damn Maze designs coming out of this and UGH NO to that)
• Only 1 to 2 colors can be used through out the entire design/illustration
• No limit per person on how many you can submit but if you are doing it right then one design might take you a while to get perfect. ...but I'm old, slow, and have very little freetime.
• Submit as many as you'd like on the deadline dates. Deadline - September 21-23rd
• Include the Logo on your submission

Original Deadline - September 21-23rd - Deadline.

Finished Scores
lugepuar - Airline = 3.34
Pyne - Yarn Cat = 3.28
BeanePod - The Persistence of Life = 3.28
38 Sunsets - continuous play = 3.24
lugepuar - Linescape = 3.20
janita.han - a continuous line houses on a hill = 3.17
chuck p comics - pen-guin = 3.17
Elma e Francis & bortwein Collab - The Kite Line = 3.10
bortwein - A few Favorite Time Pieces = 3.08
bortwein - Horror Hands = 3.06
Underdawg - John Han(d)cock = 3.04
palitosci - Deadline = 3.00
BlancaJP - IN 3D = 2.99
BlancaJP - Never Ending Mix Tape = 2.98
lugepuar - Today is Dealine = 2.91
Christina.A.art - Bunny Flying a Kite = FAIL = 2.76
AnthonyMoore - T Rex Just wants to be friends = 2.73
ostrich. - the self conscious peacock = 2.72
berlynhubler - Dog Pile = 2.59
airdeh - Heart Break = 2.52
chuck p comics - Piano Man = 2.42

Interested Yes:
mip1980
jamesnotjim
azrael5
Chaymation
thompson98

Maybe:
celandinestern
xiv
Ragnampiza
El-Be
unaifg
OwlsOnTheBrain
JackMoumdjian

Blind Contour Drawing Examples

Extreme Example art by Faber Castell

Here is another example that I had created for a work project. The art never got used but I really liked how the line work came out:

Saul Steinberg example with 1 main continuous line with several supporting extra lines:

Oscar Berger example with lines that cross over:

Watch this
Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. 8
Pyne
Pyne profile pic Alumni
bortwein said:

And this is great. Keep working those lines like you plan to and I can't wait to see how is comes out.

Cool, thanks! Tempted to try a version with actual yarn- cuz I'm kinda crazy. I'll start a WIP blog when I've made progress.

BlancaJP
BlancaJP profile pic Alumni

I could add a price - I could make 2 lens cloths (for glasses or camera lens) with the winning design on them. base color is white and the size is 10x15cm.

bortwein
bortwein profile pic Alumni

I'm struggling with a theme for my drawing. I had a few ideas but I can't seem to get the visual references right or they are too complex for the challenge.

What are some of your ideas so far?

janita.han

Name 1 Deadline B I'm in.

Killer Napkins

I just doodled these real quick, just for practice.. I kept thinking a cyclops of some sort maybe. I am not sure.

bortwein

how is everyone else doing. It seems my first WIP is a bust so I need to find a new idea and get working quickly. :-\

AnthonyMoore
bortwein said:

how is everyone else doing. It seems my first WIP is a bust so I need to find a new idea and get working quickly. :-\

I have not started yet..been working on a sub for Science first. I liked your idea. I don't get all the references, but I think it's a great idea. And it looked very well done.

bortwein

DRO72's inspiration example and my current work in progress has me thinking. DO we need to water down the guidelines/rules a little to allow for this challenge to be a bit more open to each artist to accomplish a good piece of art instead of limiting us too much.

Idea: We allow for multiple lines to accomplish the design as long as the overall concept is created using the same/similar line style as the main continuous line.

Like shown in the example by DRO72. The example above has 1 main continuous line but then uses 6 extra lines and a dot to accomplish the full illustration.

DRO72
DRO72 profile pic Alumni

above image of JFK is from a book I have by Oscar Berger illustrating each and every president with a single line (LBJ was president when it was published). I'm not going to scan it all, but if you like this kind of thing it's worth trying to find.

also Katie Campbell did this great continuous line drawing for the minimalism challenge:

bortwein

Well we already have it in the guidelines that we can use up to 2 lines and we didn't really write down if the lines could or could not cross. If we go by your examples then the lines can cross and it would be ok to use more than 1 line when needed. I think that is what I'm trying to open the challenge up to for people to be less limited in 1 line that does not cross like my original example of "Classic Grills".

DRO72
DRO72 profile pic Alumni

right on. i'm def not trying to influence your guidelines... just thought these would be inspirational even if they don't quite fit the challenge rules.

love this idea for a challenge - looking forward to seeing the subs!

bortwein

Updated the Guidelines. This should help people create some awesome art without making it too limited. Updated Guidelines are:

Guidelines:
• Design/Illustration MUST be created using at least 1 Main Continuous Line
"Extra Smaller Supporting Lines" can be used as long as the Main Continuous Line is obvious, but 1 line only designs are encouraged.
• The Main Continuous Line CAN Overlap when needed.
No Mazes (I can just see all the damn Maze designs coming out of this and UGH NO to that)
• Only 1 to 2 colors can be used through out the entire design/illustration
• No limit per person on how many you can submit
• Submit as many as you'd like on the deadline dates. Deadline - September 21-23rd
• Include the Logo on your submission (Once we approve a Better Logo)

bortwein

Bumping this for the night time peoples. (or daytime depending on where in the world they are)

Underdawg
Underdawg profile pic Alumni
bortwein said:

Any progress by anyone else?

I'll be posting soon! Glad to see the challenge got some legs.

bortwein
vanillablue said:

i would like to see more progress pics too :)

You heard the lady... Get to posting WIPs.

bortwein

BlancaJP nice work. We were going to all wait to sub them around the same time but I'm very happy to see that someone is getting into the challenge spirit and submitting stuff. Nice work and don't forget to post a link to your stuff here so I can post it above.

BlancaJP

oh dang it - sorry got too carried away :( maybe I'll do one more and hold on to that one. and Thanks and I will.

BlancaJP

oh dang it - sorry got too carried away :( maybe I'll do one more and hold on to that one. and Thanks and I will.

bortwein

nice effort Chuck. However, It doesn't fully follow the guidelines. It is possible to accomplish what you have with a single line that has some dramatic line width changes. I could show you what I mean, but then I'd be doing your drawing for you. :-\

Think of it this way. Starting from the right hand side, you have that thin line go along until the penguin where it then becomes a thicker line that goes up to the shoulder of the bird but then goes back down to make the wing curving back up to the shoulder then gets thinner over the shoulder to go around to make the head/beak. Then it would thin out even more to go down into the front and then used to create the pen before getting thick again to make the arm. Then thinning out again to finish out like you have it now on the left side.

bortwein

don't face (kitten) pillow it yet. You have something awesome there. I wish I could draw out how to fix it but then I would be drawing it for you. I tried to best describe what was in my head on how to make it work. Did that make any sense? If not I can try to figure out a demo to show you what I meant without doing all the work.

AnthonyMoore

Chuck, that is awesome! And if you don't do it for line challenge, submit it to regular threadless.

bortwein

Chuck: Here is a really quick/rough example of part of what I mean. Click it to view it larger.

Do you have illustrator? I can give you my file to use.

bortwein

or we could collaborate on this but I am not trying to muscle my way in on your cool drawing. I agree with AnthonyMoore that if you don't feel like it will fit the challenge that you should finish it the way you have it and sub it to the general Threadless pool.

chuckpcomics
chuckpcomics profile pic Alumni

I have photoshop I was planning on doing this in, im gonna have to brake into a second line to create the left fin though right? you know like after I draw the pen? and thanks for the help, I think your doing more on this then me!

bortwein

From what I can see you would be able to do this all in 1 line. The pen doesn't have to have stopping points but it could like you said that you could have the left half be its own line.

Left half = ground, body, left fin, and top of pen.

Right half = ground, back body, right fin, neck, head, and drawing part of pen.

bortwein

chuck: If you want I did this and saved the art into Photoshop as a Shape Layer. If you want it.

bortwein

I honestly should have been working on my own design but I'm having so much trouble getting the energy to do it. blarg.

Pyne
Pyne profile pic Alumni

I was working with my yarn cat, and getting frustrated. I decided I needed to do a ton of cats in a story board format. I'm thinking a sleeping cat waking up and noticing a string, battling the string, and eventually catching the ball of yarn- of course they'll all be a continuous piece of yarn. My cat is loving the "research."

Original PS cat- might end up being the final cat-

Playing around with misc cat poses in illustrator- scale/order not addressed yet.
Excuse the photo of a computer screen- Internet is out. Cuz I didn't pay it.

DRO72
DRO72 profile pic Alumni
Pyne said:

I was working with my yarn cat, and getting frustrated. I decided I needed to do a ton of cats in a story board format. I'm thinking a sleeping cat waking up and noticing a string, battling the string, and eventually catching the ball of yarn- of course they'll all be a continuous piece of yarn. My cat is loving the "research."

Original PS cat- might end up being the final cat-

Playing around with misc cat poses in illustrator- scale/order not addressed yet.
Excuse the photo of a computer screen- Internet is out. Cuz I didn't pay it.

love the blue cat!! one thought - what if the tail curved up towards the top to make the layout less horizontal so u could make it bigger on the shirt? either way, looks great.

bortwein

Listen to DRO72 about the blue cat. Stick with that one and try to make it fit nice and big on the center of the shirt. The other cats are cool but get the blue cat ready for the big show first, then go back to them and try something simple to connect them onto one set of lines. :-)

Pyne
Pyne profile pic Alumni

Will do! Thanks guys!

Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. 8