Close
One second...

A Continuous Line Challenge - !!.IT'S OVER.!!

After coming off of the Minimalism Challenge I was thinking about some different art styles and had a thought.

^Use This Logo on your submission presentation.^

--

A Design Challenge focused around a continuous Line Drawing

Kind of like a blind contour drawing but with more control and you can look at the drawing when you need to.

Deadline - September 21-29th - Submit this Week

Now this doesn't have to be hand drawn and scanned in or anything because I have accomplished this style and gotten printed before by doing all the line work in Vector with a mouse. See my "Classic Grills" example below.

Guidelines:
• Design/Illustration MUST be created using at least 1 Main Continuous Line
"Extra Smaller Supporting Lines" can be used as long as the Main Continuous Line is obvious, but 1 line only designs are encouraged.
• The Main Continuous Line CAN Overlap when needed.
No Mazes (I can just see all the damn Maze designs coming out of this and UGH NO to that)
• Only 1 to 2 colors can be used through out the entire design/illustration
• No limit per person on how many you can submit but if you are doing it right then one design might take you a while to get perfect. ...but I'm old, slow, and have very little freetime.
• Submit as many as you'd like on the deadline dates. Deadline - September 21-23rd
• Include the Logo on your submission

Original Deadline - September 21-23rd - Deadline.

Finished Scores
lugepuar - Airline = 3.34
Pyne - Yarn Cat = 3.28
BeanePod - The Persistence of Life = 3.28
38 Sunsets - continuous play = 3.24
lugepuar - Linescape = 3.20
janita.han - a continuous line houses on a hill = 3.17
chuck p comics - pen-guin = 3.17
Elma e Francis & bortwein Collab - The Kite Line = 3.10
bortwein - A few Favorite Time Pieces = 3.08
bortwein - Horror Hands = 3.06
Underdawg - John Han(d)cock = 3.04
palitosci - Deadline = 3.00
BlancaJP - IN 3D = 2.99
BlancaJP - Never Ending Mix Tape = 2.98
lugepuar - Today is Dealine = 2.91
Christina.A.art - Bunny Flying a Kite = FAIL = 2.76
AnthonyMoore - T Rex Just wants to be friends = 2.73
ostrich. - the self conscious peacock = 2.72
berlynhubler - Dog Pile = 2.59
airdeh - Heart Break = 2.52
chuck p comics - Piano Man = 2.42

Interested Yes:
mip1980
jamesnotjim
azrael5
Chaymation
thompson98

Maybe:
celandinestern
xiv
Ragnampiza
El-Be
unaifg
OwlsOnTheBrain
JackMoumdjian

Blind Contour Drawing Examples

Extreme Example art by Faber Castell

Here is another example that I had created for a work project. The art never got used but I really liked how the line work came out:

Saul Steinberg example with 1 main continuous line with several supporting extra lines:

Oscar Berger example with lines that cross over:

Watch this
Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. 8
lugepuar
lugepuar profile pic Alumni
bortwein said:
lugepuar said:

Only one design per person?

No limit per person but if you are doing it right then one design might take you a while to get perfect. ...but I'm old, slow, and have very little freetime.

Submit as many as you'd like once we determine the Submission Deadline and Sub(it) Date.

Thank you

unaifg

Name 2, Deadline B

I'm on "maybe"

lugepuar
lugepuar profile pic Alumni

Name 2

Deadline B

bortwein
bortwein profile pic Alumni

Updated and Keep voting.

bortwein

Here is another example that I had created for a work project. The art never got used but I really liked how the line work came out: Click to enlarge

AnthonyMoore

Name 2. I like your logo. Either deadline works for me...B just gives more time to procrastinate.

airdeh

Wow, awesome example^ did you do it in illustrator?

bortwein
airdeh said:

Wow, awesome example^ did you do it in illustrator?

Yes. 100% in illustrator. I had photo references but made a lot of creative decisions along the way to make it not appear as just a traced image.

jamesnotjim

Name 2, deadline B. Is it going to be just a community challenge or an official challenge like ryders minimalism?

bortwein
jamesnotjim said:

Name 2, deadline B. Is it going to be just a community challenge or an official challenge like ryders minimalism?

community challenge at the moment. It takes a lot to get it made into an official challenge.

airdeh
bortwein said:

Yes. 100% in illustrator. I had photo references but made a lot of creative decisions along the way to make it not appear as just a traced image.

Super! Sorta looks like when you view your work in the outline mode in illustrator.

bortwein

yeah

berlynhubler
berlynhubler profile pic Alumni

Name 2 Deadline B

jamesnotjim

Just had a thought 'the never ending line challenge' hmm probably not ha!

bortwein

Winning name: A Continuous Line Challenge
Winning Deadline: September 21-23rd (4 weekends away)

jamesnotjim

Cool! So we can start designing now and post progress here or just make our own blogs for that shiz?

bortwein
jamesnotjim said:

Cool! So we can start designing now and post progress here or just make our own blogs for that shiz?

yes start and just make our own blogs for that but go ahead and post a link to your WIP blogs here too.

bortwein
Chaymation said:

IN!

gotcha.

bortwein

If I missed anyone or have someone in the wrong category please let me know.

bortwein

bump

thompson98

ill enter. ive got a great design in mind that would be perfect!

bortwein

I think I have an idea too just need to take a couple reference photos to use as my inspiration guide.

bortwein

anyone want to try and make a better logo for this?

bortwein

People can still sign up now until the very last day as long as you stick to it. Maybe is the way to go if you like the idea but don't know if you have the time.

Collaborations would be interesting since there is a 2 Line Limit. Each artist could take on one of the lines and see how they interact with each other.

jamesnotjim

I'm gonna work on a design I have in mind tomorrow and blog my progress :)

bortwein

Don't forget to post WIP blogs and link them up here.

micheleficeli
bortwein said:

anyone want to try and make a better logo for this?

Did this for fun. Feel free to use or not.

bortwein

Thanks! Maybe we should have people vote which logo to go with? Or should I clean mine up more like yours.

palitosci
palitosci profile pic Alumni

I`m in

palitosci
palitosci profile pic Alumni

I`m in

micheleficeli
bortwein said:

Thanks! Maybe we should have people vote which logo to go with? Or should I clean mine up more like yours.

as you want. I did it also to see how difficult it's to draw something that make sense with just one line :)

bortwein

I like logo you did. Just trying to decide if it reads right. The "n" in line looks like an "h" and that throws me off a little.

micheleficeli

yep, it's quite hard to read. I tried to keep the dots on the "i"s and linked them to the "n"s, but maybe it's a bit too much. Could try remove them and see if it works the same. Or maybe use another font base. I'll try this tomorrow.

ostrich.

Name 2 deadline B. Really fun challenge idea, can you put me as a maybe? Thanks.

Elma e Francis

I think Bort's logo is more continuous, so it's better for this. The 'caligraphic handraw font" is definelly the better for just one line.

bortwein
Elma e Francis said:

I think Bort's logo is more continuous, so it's better for this. The 'caligraphic handraw font" is definelly the better for just one line.

Thanks. I do think I could improve it while people are working on their designs and have something better ready before we all submit around the deadline.

I got an idea for mine and took some reference shots with the help of my daughter today.

OwlsOnTheBrain

takes big deep breath

I've never subbed or drawn or anything before.

But I might try this.

So. Basically.

taz don't make me cry. :)

bortwein

ok I updated the listing and on an unrelated note I'm second guessing my first design idea for this challenge. I may need to think of something better. I did have an awesome idea but it breaks a few of the challenge rules so I will have to save that for after I do one within the rules.

My first idea was: A sort of infinity symbol or 8 shape that is created from 2 kid arms/hands shooting water guns at each other. Any good? or do I need a trendier idea? I should probably work through the photo reference mock-up I had planned then ask again.

thompson98

I'm actually really excited about this challenge. I have never used this technique before. Already started but it is going to take ages. Doing it by hand

bortwein
thompson98 said:

I'm actually really excited about this challenge. I have never used this technique before. Already started but it is going to take ages. Doing it by hand

Yeah. By hand is going to be pretty time consuming and technically harder than doing it digitally. If you have a tablet or something to try drawing it directly into the computer that would be still time consuming. I have a mouse and vector technique down to a bit of a science on how I create these drawings. When I post my progress, perhaps I should try to show the "how to" as I get mine done. But again if I do that then they might all look the same in the end.

bortwein

Anyone have a work in progress to share yet? I need some inspiration. My first idea didn't even make it out of photo mock-up before I hated it.

Also: Would anyone have some kick butt photography they wouldn't mind me turning into some cool line art?

bortwein

anyone?

Pyne
Pyne profile pic Alumni

I started 3 designs and deleted 3 designs- this is way harder than I'd anticipated!

Pyne
Pyne profile pic Alumni

Here's a super duper rough draft just to give you the idea of what I'm thinking- done before?

Christina.A.art

I still prefer your logo bort for the challenge. Although Ragnampiza logo is nice i feel like the t and n arent a continuous line really. I have one question for the challenge we are not allowed to cross over the same line right ? Thanks

bortwein
Christina.A.art said:

I still prefer your logo bort for the challenge. Although Ragnampiza logo is nice i feel like the t and n arent a continuous line really. I have one question for the challenge we are not allowed to cross over the same line right ? Thanks

I think we are going to still use my logo but I plan to make it better before people will need it to submit around the deadline.

As for the crossing over lines. I think it would be great if they didn't cross but if it helps people get something created I don't see it being a problem as long as it is obvious that the line is continuous.

SO... Try to go with no touching but if you need to touch then go for it. (That's what she said)

bortwein
Pyne said:

Here's a super duper rough draft just to give you the idea of what I'm thinking- done before?

And this is great. Keep working those lines like you plan to and I can't wait to see how is comes out.

Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. 8
No account?