Close
One second...

A Continuous Line Challenge - !!.IT'S OVER.!!

After coming off of the Minimalism Challenge I was thinking about some different art styles and had a thought.

^Use This Logo on your submission presentation.^

--

A Design Challenge focused around a continuous Line Drawing

Kind of like a blind contour drawing but with more control and you can look at the drawing when you need to.

Deadline - September 21-29th - Submit this Week

Now this doesn't have to be hand drawn and scanned in or anything because I have accomplished this style and gotten printed before by doing all the line work in Vector with a mouse. See my "Classic Grills" example below.

Guidelines:
• Design/Illustration MUST be created using at least 1 Main Continuous Line
"Extra Smaller Supporting Lines" can be used as long as the Main Continuous Line is obvious, but 1 line only designs are encouraged.
• The Main Continuous Line CAN Overlap when needed.
No Mazes (I can just see all the damn Maze designs coming out of this and UGH NO to that)
• Only 1 to 2 colors can be used through out the entire design/illustration
• No limit per person on how many you can submit but if you are doing it right then one design might take you a while to get perfect. ...but I'm old, slow, and have very little freetime.
• Submit as many as you'd like on the deadline dates. Deadline - September 21-23rd
• Include the Logo on your submission

Original Deadline - September 21-23rd - Deadline.

Finished Scores
lugepuar - Airline = 3.34
Pyne - Yarn Cat = 3.28
BeanePod - The Persistence of Life = 3.28
38 Sunsets - continuous play = 3.24
lugepuar - Linescape = 3.20
janita.han - a continuous line houses on a hill = 3.17
chuck p comics - pen-guin = 3.17
Elma e Francis & bortwein Collab - The Kite Line = 3.10
bortwein - A few Favorite Time Pieces = 3.08
bortwein - Horror Hands = 3.06
Underdawg - John Han(d)cock = 3.04
palitosci - Deadline = 3.00
BlancaJP - IN 3D = 2.99
BlancaJP - Never Ending Mix Tape = 2.98
lugepuar - Today is Dealine = 2.91
Christina.A.art - Bunny Flying a Kite = FAIL = 2.76
AnthonyMoore - T Rex Just wants to be friends = 2.73
ostrich. - the self conscious peacock = 2.72
berlynhubler - Dog Pile = 2.59
airdeh - Heart Break = 2.52
chuck p comics - Piano Man = 2.42

Interested Yes:
mip1980
jamesnotjim
azrael5
Chaymation
thompson98

Maybe:
celandinestern
xiv
Ragnampiza
El-Be
unaifg
OwlsOnTheBrain
JackMoumdjian

Blind Contour Drawing Examples

Extreme Example art by Faber Castell

Here is another example that I had created for a work project. The art never got used but I really liked how the line work came out:

Saul Steinberg example with 1 main continuous line with several supporting extra lines:

Oscar Berger example with lines that cross over:

Watch this
Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. 8
mip1980

I'd be interested

Underdawg

Love the caveat of "No Mazes (I can just see all the damn Maze designs coming out of this and UGH NO to that)"

I'm in for sure. If for no other reason because i've never done a continuous line design.

jamesnotjim

Sounds decent to me bortwein!

bortwein

Thoughts on a Name for the Challenge?

• The Continuous Line Challenge • Non-Stop Line Challenge • Contour Line Design Challenge • Contour! Contour!! Contour!!!

vanillablue
vanillablue profile pic Staff

this sounds awesome and I would love to see what everyone comes up with if it's a go

bortwein
vanillablue said:

this sounds awesome and I would love to see what everyone comes up with if it's a go

Hooray!

Elma e Francis

I'm interested, I like The Continuous Line Challenge and Non-Stop Line Challenge more.

bortwein

trying to draw a logo for this is hard.... maybe I should rethink my crazy idea. ;-)

celandinestern

I'd love to try, if I can come up with a suitable subject matter.

bortwein
celandinestern said:

I'd love to try, if I can come up with a suitable subject matter.

I'll put you as a maybe

Shadyjibes

Maybe you should call it "Continuitee challenge"! Also, love yourself by ilovedoodle is a really cool and simple continuous line design.

AnthonyMoore

I may be interested if I can come up with something as well...so call me "maybe."

EZFL

put me down as maybe

Lines Aren't Forever Lines Are Forever Single Stroke

Pyne

I'm totally interested- what a cool idea!

Christina.A.art

Hello Bortwein, I'm a definite yes I like the idea and the challenge! :)

bortwein
Shadyjibes said:

Maybe you should call it "Continuitee challenge"! Also, love yourself by ilovedoodle is a really cool and simple continuous line design.

That is an good example. Only issue would be that 1 eye doesn't touch the rest of the continuous line so it would be more like 2 lines instead of 1 to make that drawing possible.

That opens the debate into how may lines are allowed. I could see some one use 2 total lines that are both continuous in different colors to make one really cool design.

Thoughts? A 2 line Max?

Christina.A.art

I kinda like the idea of just one continuous line and not being able to cross over a line. I would even say one color too. I like the black and white challenge and this could be like that but with one color any of your choice perhaps :)... just a suggestion:)

Christina.A.art

We could call this Bort's-one-liner

berlynhubler

Great challenge idea, count me in!

AnthonyMoore

Make me a yes. Cool idea, bortwein!

Christina.A.art

The prizes: A yo-yo, some yarn, a kite(reel included) maybe even their design on that kite haha.

bortwein

Place holder "Logo" added and updated the lists.

bortwein
Christina.A.art said:

We could call this Bort's-one-liner

har har har. ;-)

bortwein

late night bump

bortwein

We still need to determine a few things. See above. Deadline etc etc. discuss.

BeanePod

oh man, that's a pretty f'n great idea....one that i'd probably drive myself nuts over if i tried.

BlancaJP
1 design submitted - Score now!

I'm all for this sounds like a puzzle - I love puzzles :)

I'd say the rules are pretty good with max 3 colors, max 2 lines, deadline I think would be nice with at least 2 weekends in it and I'm terrible with names but I'll trow in - continuum -

thompson98

I think it's a good idea. Put me down for maybe (depending on the subject matter)

azrael5

Lemme in!...very differet idea...i rember a spider man design printed here which was kind of flowing lines..awesome idea bortwein

Ragnampiza

Hard challenge for me, might enter nonetheless. I'm in the maybe list depending on time/ideas for this.

El-Be

Maybe, I don't think I'll be any good at this, but that's kind why I'm interested.

Chaymation

I think this would be a most excellent challenge! (although the no-mazes rule makes me want to draw a maze of maize)

Chaymation
Get In Line
Linus
Contiuosity
Singularity
Line Up
melmike

I second 'Get in Line'

bortwein

The 'Get in Line' Challenge?

bortwein

Updated the Guidelines and added people. Please state if you are either "In" "maybe" so I know for sure where to put you.

Guidelines: • Design/Illustration MUST be created using a Continuous line from start to finish • Up to 2 Continuous Lines can be used but 1 line only designs are encouraged. • No Mazes (I can just see all the damn Maze designs coming out of this and UGH NO to that) • Only 1 to 2 colors can be used through out the entire design/illustration

bortwein

I'm looking over the callendar to find a deadline but suggestions are welcome while I look. I'm thinking something like a 3 week time frame (including 3 total weekends) so we have time to procrastinate I mean plan out our illustrations.

lugepuar

I'm interested!!!

mip1980

3 weeks is good for me because of my work commitments, I was gutted that i could not participate in the latest re-design challenge because the deadline was so short and coincided with me being at work :-(

airdeh

I'm a maybe, yet again. :) Hopefully i'll be able to submit something this time.

lugepuar

Only one design per person?

bortwein
lugepuar said:

Only one design per person?

No limit per person but if you are doing it right then one design might take you a while to get perfect. ...but I'm old, slow, and have very little freetime.

Submit as many as you'd like once we determine the Submission Deadline and Sub(it) Date.

bortwein

Vote for a Name:

1 • Get in Line - A Community Challenge 2 • A Continuous Line Challenge 3 • Lines Are Forever - A Community Challenge 4 • The Contour Line Challenge

bortwein

Once we have a name we can work on getting the Official Logo and List a deadline date.

bortwein

Deadline Vote:
A. September 14-16th (3 weekends away)
or
B. September 21-23rd (4 weekends away)

bortwein

updated

airdeh

Name: 2 Deadline: B

Christina.A.art

I vote for deadline A and bort's-one-liner

Pyne