Close
One second...

A Continuous Line Challenge - !!.IT'S OVER.!!

After coming off of the Minimalism Challenge I was thinking about some different art styles and had a thought.

^Use This Logo on your submission presentation.^

--

A Design Challenge focused around a continuous Line Drawing

Kind of like a blind contour drawing but with more control and you can look at the drawing when you need to.

Deadline - September 21-29th - Submit this Week

Now this doesn't have to be hand drawn and scanned in or anything because I have accomplished this style and gotten printed before by doing all the line work in Vector with a mouse. See my "Classic Grills" example below.

Guidelines:
• Design/Illustration MUST be created using at least 1 Main Continuous Line
"Extra Smaller Supporting Lines" can be used as long as the Main Continuous Line is obvious, but 1 line only designs are encouraged.
• The Main Continuous Line CAN Overlap when needed.
No Mazes (I can just see all the damn Maze designs coming out of this and UGH NO to that)
• Only 1 to 2 colors can be used through out the entire design/illustration
• No limit per person on how many you can submit but if you are doing it right then one design might take you a while to get perfect. ...but I'm old, slow, and have very little freetime.
• Submit as many as you'd like on the deadline dates. Deadline - September 21-23rd
• Include the Logo on your submission

Original Deadline - September 21-23rd - Deadline.

Finished Scores
lugepuar - Airline = 3.34
Pyne - Yarn Cat = 3.28
BeanePod - The Persistence of Life = 3.28
38 Sunsets - continuous play = 3.24
lugepuar - Linescape = 3.20
janita.han - a continuous line houses on a hill = 3.17
chuck p comics - pen-guin = 3.17
Elma e Francis & bortwein Collab - The Kite Line = 3.10
bortwein - A few Favorite Time Pieces = 3.08
bortwein - Horror Hands = 3.06
Underdawg - John Han(d)cock = 3.04
palitosci - Deadline = 3.00
BlancaJP - IN 3D = 2.99
BlancaJP - Never Ending Mix Tape = 2.98
lugepuar - Today is Dealine = 2.91
Christina.A.art - Bunny Flying a Kite = FAIL = 2.76
AnthonyMoore - T Rex Just wants to be friends = 2.73
ostrich. - the self conscious peacock = 2.72
berlynhubler - Dog Pile = 2.59
airdeh - Heart Break = 2.52
chuck p comics - Piano Man = 2.42

Interested Yes:
mip1980
jamesnotjim
azrael5
Chaymation
thompson98

Maybe:
celandinestern
xiv
Ragnampiza
El-Be
unaifg
OwlsOnTheBrain
JackMoumdjian

Blind Contour Drawing Examples

Extreme Example art by Faber Castell

Here is another example that I had created for a work project. The art never got used but I really liked how the line work came out:

Saul Steinberg example with 1 main continuous line with several supporting extra lines:

Oscar Berger example with lines that cross over:

Watch this
Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. 8
bortwein
bortwein profile pic Alumni

Listen to DRO72 about the blue cat. Stick with that one and try to make it fit nice and big on the center of the shirt. The other cats are cool but get the blue cat ready for the big show first, then go back to them and try something simple to connect them onto one set of lines. :-)

Pyne
Pyne profile pic Alumni
2 designs submitted - Score now!

Will do! Thanks guys!

palitosci
palitosci profile pic Alumni

this is my idea...

DEADLINE

bortwein
palitosci said:

this is my idea...

DEADLINE

Nice one. Do you plan on refining it a little or do you feel like you got the results you were hoping for? Parts around the eye get a little tight so the concept gets a little harder to see there. I also think the nose shape might be altered to be more of a triangle with the point at the top. Overall I think this idea is great and you should definitely submit it during the deadline submission dates.

bortwein

it just occurred to me that if your title is deadline that maybe you could try to mix in a touch of business or something. Perhaps a neck tie that runs downward on the shirt. With the 2 line limit it could be another color line that makes up the tie. Just saying that would look pretty cool and give it a tie to the idea of a business "deadline".

palitosci

yeah this is a sketch so far...

great idea bortwein! thanks for your suggestions! I´ll try :)

chuck p comics
chuck p comics profile pic Alumni

ok I finished it and thanks for your help Brandon, you were a big help, and if you want I can add you as collaborator

bortwein

nice work. Don't forget to hold off submitting it until the deadline dates so they all go into voting around the same time. I like the Mint color. It is your concept and I only gave some suggestions so it's all you... unless it prints then I ask for a Free T-shirt. ;-)

BlancaJP
BlancaJP profile pic Alumni

palitosci - great idea !

chuck - clad you got your idea working for this challenge, cause it's a cool one.

chuck p comics
chuck p comics profile pic Alumni
BlancaJP said:

palitosci - great idea !

chuck - clad you got your idea working for this challenge, cause it's a cool one.

thanks!

bortwein said:

nice work. Don't forget to hold off submitting it until the deadline dates so they all go into voting around the same time. I like the Mint color. It is your concept and I only gave some suggestions so it's all you... unless it prints then I ask for a Free T-shirt. ;-)

you got it thanks!!!

micheleficeli

Still no idea for this, but actually have thought on a method to make my sub, so i'd probably do somethin'.

Btw, is the logo approved? Or you actually want another? I've not tried anything more than what i posted before, but i'm still up for this if needed.

bortwein
Ragnampiza said:

Still no idea for this, but actually have thought on a method to make my sub, so i'd probably do somethin'.

Btw, is the logo approved? Or you actually want another? I've not tried anything more than what i posted before, but i'm still up for this if needed.

Well people are already putting that logo above onto their submissions so I'm just going to say we will just use that one as it is now. Maybe if we do this again later we could make a better one for "A Continuous Line 2"

micheleficeli
bortwein said:

Well people are already putting that logo above onto their submissions so I'm just going to say we will just use that one as it is now. Maybe if we do this again later we could make a better one for "A Continuous Line 2"

Sure! Totally agree with you. Just asked because i really like to make logos, and would like to practice more every time i get a chance :)

Now it's time to get an idea ready for the deadline.

bortwein

bump

Pyne
Pyne profile pic Alumni

Changed the tail- again forgive the pictures if the screen.

Too circle-y? Not circle-y enough?

bortwein

purrfect

Pyne
Pyne profile pic Alumni
bortwein said:

purrfect

Yeay! Thanks!

bortwein

Deadline is approaching. How is everyone doing? Remember to submit these into the General Threadless Pool during the deadline dates.

bortwein

bump

bortwein

for late night people bump

palitosci

this is my work... DEADLINE

waiting to 21th for submit...

Hope you like it!

bortwein

palitosci don't forget about the new 1200x1200 submission format that Threadless started. Slides have gone away. Just mentioning it in case you didn't know yet. Also make sure we submit these to the General Threadless Contest and not one of the challenges.

Looks good on the tee and your presentation of the zoom is cool. I hope you can keep part of that view on your larger format submission presentation.

palitosci

sh*t!

some days off and Threadless change all!

Thanks Bortwein

bortwein
palitosci said:

sh*t!

some days off and Threadless change all!

Thanks Bortwein

lol. i know what you mean.

bortwein

bump...

Elma e Francis

hey, awesome people. I had this last time simple idea, but my drawskils at illustrator just sucks. So, anyone wanna collab making the art of it? The idea in a striped Tee that becomes a kite line... please contact me at franciseelma@gmail.com

Pyne
Pyne profile pic Alumni

I love the fact that we have a new presentation format, but I'm not used it- originally had color options, but it seemed too busy.

Haven't subbed yet if anyone has opinions on slide comp

palitosci

SUBMIT!!!

ostrich.

sorry about that, not sure why it came out as a hyperlink...

janita.han

Hello, I submitted mine just now for evaluation.

lugepuar
lugepuar profile pic Alumni

This is mine, emmm, I have to say that I just see the PALITOSCI's design : / :P

bortwein
Elma e Francis said:

hey, awesome people. I had this last time simple idea, but my drawskils at illustrator just sucks. So, anyone wanna collab making the art of it? The idea in a striped Tee that becomes a kite line... please contact me at franciseelma@gmail.com

Love that Idea. If I finish mine up soon then I could take this one pretty quickly for you. It seem pretty easy enough to vector up for you. We have until Monday as the deadline but if it goes into Tuesday I think it would be worth it.

Elma e Francis

Awesome, Bortt! That's a vector, I can send it to you sunday and you can just fix that odd angles and curves Or you can re-draw all the thing to make it more pretty :)

lugepuar

Another, "linescape"

bortwein
Elma e Francis said:

Awesome, Bortt! That's a vector, I can send it to you sunday and you can just fix that odd angles and curves Or you can re-draw all the thing to make it more pretty :)

Deal! Save it down to CS1 for me. I have a really old illustrator. :-)

lugepuar

Anotheeeer, some advance.

micheleficeli

Surely i'm not making the deadline with this. I did got an idea, but actually dropped it for a while because didn't liked the way it was going. Now i'm thinking of a new approach to it, and want to take it further. Is it okay if i sub some day after the deadline (maybe even a week), or should i go with just regular threadless?

lugepuar

In process

BlancaJP
BlancaJP profile pic Alumni

what do you think, should I sub this - too simple, too messy ? it's 2 lines with a little color over the other line over the heart.

bortwein
lugepuar said:

In process

Love love... LOVE This.

Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. 6