Close
One second...

Submission Declined - Feedback?

Hey guys,

I just submitted a digital painting to Threadless, and it was declined with a generic message about 'needing more work'. This is a finished piece in my eyes, and I don't see what issues they have with it. Is it just not the style they're looking for? Does anyone know where I could get some more specific feedback? I was under the impression that the pre-voting review was mainly to avoid obscene or obviously unfinished work, so I don't understand why they would reject something like this without at least letting people vote on it.

Thanks!

Watch this
mip1980
mip1980 profile pic Alumni

go to www.threadless.com/all That is the quality that is expected here. You may think this is a finished piece but to be honest, it is far far away from being suitable for any t-shirt design let alone Threadless. Why don't you upload your work to society6 if you feel this is a finished piece and you are happy with it :-)

hellofromthemoon
hellofromthemoon profile pic Alumni

The design itself isn't so bad, but it looks like you designed it for something completely different than a Tshirt. Most of the time it looks weird to have a big horizontal box on the shirt like that.

Threadles is a clothing company after all, so if it doesn't look good specifically on a shirt, then it counts as 'unfinished' for that particular market.

FoodStampDavis
FoodStampDavis profile pic Alumni
1 design submitted -
hellofromthemoon said:

The design itself isn't so bad, but it looks like you designed it for something completely different than a Tshirt. Most of the time it looks weird to have a big horizontal box on the shirt like that.

Threadles is a clothing company after all, so if it doesn't look good specifically on a shirt, then it counts as 'unfinished' for that particular market.

Agreed. The art isn't bad at all, but it doesn't seem that this would lend itself to a shirt all that well. Do you have a mock-up?

thegnome54

I can see how this design might not be the best on a shirt, I was going for the comic-book-panel look. In my submission, I put it on a laptop bag. Why would they include those templates if they didn't consider them appropriate? As for the quality, I'm obviously not a professional artist but I think it's unfair to suggest that my design is 'far far away' from being suitable. Many of the designs I see on /all look like they took much less effort to produce.

I mean, this is a shirt: http://www.threadless.com/product/4006/I_Love_Autumn

Why wouldn't they just let people vote? I'd rather have a bad score with some feedback than an impersonal and unexplained rejection. Meh.

FoodStampDavis
FoodStampDavis profile pic Alumni
1 design submitted -

Well, as far as "why not just let the people vote," it's because then the scoring page would be absolutely flooded and nobody would want to sort through all those subs. Scoring numbers are low enough as it is.

As far as the "I Love Autumn" desing... well, the were right, weren't they? It scored high. It printed. It sells. A sub doesn't have to have dazzling, mind-blowing art; it just has to function well as a t-shirt.

hellofromthemoon
hellofromthemoon profile pic Alumni

I think in general, there are three ways to get something approved and really liked by Threadless.

1. Concept - a great idea, something that everyone can identify with and say, dang why didn't I think of that first?

2. Art - something made with amazing skill and finesse. We are talking professional level or above, since that's what a lot of people on Threadless are.

3. Humor - funny animals, food with faces, cartoon-ish designs.

Obviously it's silly to narrow down good printable designs to just three rules, but in general I think that good designs have two out of three, or just one if that one factor is absolutely out of this world. It's very hard to be approved with absolutely none of those three.

As for your design, it isn't particularly humorous I think, and it doesn't have a concept that everyone can see right away. I'm sure it does have a concept, but if random internet people can't tell what it is without an explanation, the concept is not shown in the best way that it could be.

So that leaves art. Like other people said before, your art is good. But it's not out of this world, mind-blowingly amazing Van Gogh. I actually think your art could be good enough to be printed even, IF it was paired with a good idea (like the leaf shirt, that is a good idea). But the art is having a little trouble standing up by itself. I would suggest trying another design with a little more thought into concept.

thegnome54

That's fair. I really appreciate you guys taking the time to give me advice, thanks for helping! You're very kind and I will consider this when I try my next design. It's never easy to get turned down, but in the long run one can only improve.

No account?
Join Us