Close
One second...

THE SHOWDOWN_WIP blog_COLORING FINISHED?_Updated:9/12/13

I have a new design in the early stages and thought I would share the process from the start. I will update as I progress. I am planning on working this one like Death Rides in the Night and do a majority of the work with traditional inking (I don't work very often anymore with traditional but I would like to return to my roots). Feel free to ask me any questions as I progress, and feedback is always welcome :)

Title: The Showdown

I am planning on running a contest to win the original drawing when my design is up for voting. Would anyone be interested?

Early Sketches:

Initial thumbnail (very small drawing)

Making tweaks in Photoshop with my Wacom Tablet

Taping up the print outs with masking tape

Next I cover the back of the taped up paper with lead. I have a thick piece of lead ( you can get it at an art store) that I use

Tape the paper to vellum bristol board

Laying out the structural lines of the drawing on the top paper

Lead Transfers underneath

Okay, so I haven't gone in on the entire drawing with a pencil to add detail. I have been adding detail and then inking the area (not recommended). I always get too excited to use ink and just do my drawing that way. When I was in college I challenged myself to only draw with permanent ink in my sketchbooks and that helped to get me comfortable with making sure the marks I made were what I wanted. Anyways, If I make a mistake, I can always fix it and clean it up in photoshop ;)

My progress as of 8/29...gettin' all explosive up in heeyah. I also sketched in 2 extra arms for the samurai, because I thought 4 arms are better than 2.

Burning the midnight oil. Wanted to update my progress before I go to bed. This piece is taking a LONG time to ink, but I think it will be worth it...I hope :P This is one of the largest drawings I've ever inked.

Just an update of my progress 8/31. Did not get to work on it as much as I wanted to today...

Making some good progress now! Got the ground established, planning on adding an environment behind the action. I am thinking some tall pagodas. Two more intended robot ninjas to go.

FINISHED THE INKING! Got the artwork scanned in and separated from the white background. My artwork was bigger than my scanner, so I did two scans of the artwork of both sides and then put the two scans together in photoshop (had to rotate one side). Next I plan on drawing a few more elements to add to the drawing in photoshop. I am going to make some pagoda's and some custom ink splotches for the setting sun in the image.

Detail:

PAGODAS. I decided to do individual ink wash drawings for the pagodas to be placed behind all the action. I picture the sketchy quick look of them will be a nice contrast to all the action going on in the foreground. Maybe for the contest to win the original ink drawing, 4 other winners can get one of the pagoda drawings. That way there are more winners? Does that sound good?

I've already started the coloring, but I don't want to get ahead of myself and not show you the black and white. It looks crowded yes, but don't worry...the color is going to pull it all together :)

Started laying out the colors. All the colors are on separate layers and can be changed whenever. I am still tinkering around trying to figure out how I want the mood to be, what do you think so far? I wanted a moody sunset battle. I also made a black ink wash and scanned it in to make the darker color in the sun.

Detail:

I got distracted on other projects...I decided to go a more monotone route (as suggested by some), with only grays and reds. I think it is about finished, I would love to wear it. Feedback welcome, do you all think it is ready?

Detail:

Mocked up:

Okay, so I decided to make the robot samurai's outline thicker to make him pop more. I think it works. Gonna sub this and then I'll announce how the drawing give away will work (still have to figure that out. Unfortunately, I will have to keep the winners within the United States(shippings costs would be too high))

Watch this
Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
Poeha
Poeha profile pic Alumni

I love this blog! Love to see 'how-it's-made's'.

nikoby
nikoby profile pic Alumni

Late night ink drawing update bump

nikoby

Thanks Poeha, glad you love it :)

nikoby

Morning bump

unaifg

This is going to be F****NG AWESOME!!

nikoby

update bump

PeculiarTiffany
PeculiarTiffany profile pic Alumni
1 design submitted -

Nicholas, you're really amazing. This is coming out splendidly.

I think once you start on colors you need to draw the eye to the main guy somehow, since there's so much going on. My brain is like "Too much awesome, cannot compute!"

melmike
melmike profile pic Alumni

holy shit, you're like the todd mcfarlane of threadless!

nikoby
TheInfamousBaka said:

Nicholas, you're really amazing. This is coming out splendidly.

I think once you start on colors you need to draw the eye to the main guy somehow, since there's so much going on. My brain is like "Too much awesome, cannot compute!"

I totally agree with you Baka. I plan on creating the focus using color, using a dark tshirt color so I can make certain things pop in the scene. I am really excited to get started on the color part of it.

micheleficeli

Sweet stuff. Really like how it's progressing.

nikoby
melmike said:

Wow, what a compliment! thanks! Love me some Todd Mcfarlane

nikoby
chuck p comics said:

haha, I also love me some colbert

soloyo
soloyo profile pic Alumni

spoiler blog material!

nikoby
soloyo said:

spoiler blog material!

Yes! Thanks Nestor!

P0ckets
P0ckets profile pic Alumni
1 design submitted -

Dude this is amazing. I could do with practicing more with inking directly, I always want to have every last detail pre-sketched in pencil to stop myself making dumb mistakes. Your eye for adding details on the fly is great!

nikoby
P0ckets said:

Dude this is amazing. I could do with practicing more with inking directly, I always want to have every last detail pre-sketched in pencil to stop myself making dumb mistakes. Your eye for adding details on the fly is great!

Thanks Pockets, if I get nervous about a certain section, I do pull out a pencil to refine my idea more. That and I keep in mind that there will be plenty of time to touch up the ink drawing in photoshop.

nikoby

Inking is done bump

blackhand_
blackhand_ profile pic Alumni
2 designs submitted - Score now!
melmike said:

Man, Todd McFarlane used to be my favorite Spider-Man artist back in the day.

Nikoby, this is awesome work and would sell tons in any medium--shirt, print, pog, whatever.

nikoby
kuro_te said:
melmike said:

Man, Todd McFarlane used to be my favorite Spider-Man artist back in the day.

Nikoby, this is awesome work and would sell tons in any medium--shirt, print, pog, whatever.

Thanks Kuro_te! That would be funny if pogs came back in.

macdoodle
macdoodle profile pic Alumni
1 design submitted -

Great work Nicholas! Such a talent you have!

AnthonyMoore

And I like the idea of a contest for the original drawing. Heck, that would be a cool thing if Threadless would have contests for that type of thing for all its prints (even if it's not the original drawing, but a print of the original artwork would be neat).

nikoby

Thanks guys! @AnthonyMoore yeah that would be cool. I've been thinking about how a lot of my work on paper just collects dust, i think it would be a lot cooler if it was in someone else's hands to enjoy.

About to update this blog again...

nikoby

Pagoda bump

tronbeardsley
tronbeardsley profile pic Alumni

dude this is beautiful!

nikoby

Thanks guys!

Weirdoboy
Weirdoboy profile pic Alumni

WOW! Your work is so amazing. Thanks for sharing the entire process. I just threw my pencils, pens, paper into a bonfire. I give up!

moosabman
moosabman profile pic Alumni

If it prints let me know...cause im buying it and everything.

moosabman
moosabman profile pic Alumni

wait...did I just read I have a chance to win one of those drawings?....

Musarter
Musarter profile pic Alumni

Looking good. Where those pagodas made with a brush? They look super cool.

nikoby
Weirdoboy said:

WOW! Your work is so amazing. Thanks for sharing the entire process. I just threw my pencils, pens, paper into a bonfire. I give up!

Don't give up!

nikoby
moosabman said:

wait...did I just read I have a chance to win one of those drawings?....

Yeah, I am planning on giving away the main drawing and then the pagoda drawings when the design is up for scoring.

nikoby
Musarter said:

Looking good. Where those pagodas made with a brush? They look super cool.

Thanks Musarter! Yeah I used a red sable brush and a micron to add a few thin lines

AnthonyMoore

How many and what sizes of pens did you use for the main drawing?..and those pagodas are awesome.

nikoby
AnthonyMoore said:

How many and what sizes of pens did you use for the main drawing?..and those pagodas are awesome.

My go to for this drawing was the sakura micron 01. I used the 05 for areas that I wasn't as concerned about and i also used 08, 1, and a 3 to fill in the larger areas. I didn't run out of ink on any of my pens, so i just used one of each size.

Goto75
Goto75 profile pic Alumni

The awesomeness continues!

nikoby
Goto75 said:

The awesomeness continues!

Thanks goto75! I just updated...bump

AnthonyMoore
nikoby said:
AnthonyMoore said:

My go to for this drawing was the sakura micron 01. I used the 05 for areas that I wasn't as concerned about and i also used 08, 1, and a 3 to fill in the larger areas. I didn't run out of ink on any of my pens, so i just used one of each size.

I see, thanks.. I think someone else said it, but your inking skills are amazing (with such confidence). I also wanted to ask, do you always use the method of quick sketch, then tweak with your tablet, and then use the print outs? This whole progress thing is sweet, especially since it's turning out so rad.

Kudaman

Impressive!

nikoby
AnthonyMoore said:
I see, thanks.. I think someone else said it, but your inking skills are amazing (with such confidence). I also wanted to ask, do you always use the method of quick sketch, then tweak with your tablet, and then use the print outs? This whole progress thing is sweet, especially since it's turning out so rad.

No, this is actually an exercise for me to stretch myself and think more about composition instead of just diving right in(which is what I usually do). Typically I will do everything digital with my tablet.

nikoby

oops, I had you answer your question ;)

AnthonyMoore

Oh, wow.. To be honest, I never thought that rough sketch would turn out this awesome. haha.

Cumix47

wow! Nice process.

AnthonyMoore
nikoby said:

oops, I had you answer your question ;)

Haha, I didn't even catch that...I knew it allll along. aha

P0ckets
P0ckets profile pic Alumni
1 design submitted -

How you did beautiful pagodas so speedily <:O

I think winning any of the drawings (main or one of the pagodas) is a brilliant idea - although I might need to count myself out as it would involve international shippin's.

melmike
melmike profile pic Alumni

I can't stop looking at this.

Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
No account?
Join Us