This week I'm going to build a tracing box

I'll share the steps here for you

Watch this
speakerine
speakerine profile pic Alumni
alexmdc said:

niiice!

do you work everything by hand first?

more and more ! I'm discovering that that's actually very pleasant . I know you work a lot like that alex, no ?

celandinestern
celandinestern profile pic Alumni

I love doing stuff by hand and it comes out looking way nicer than when I do everything on the computer. I'd love one of those.

hellofromthemoon
hellofromthemoon profile pic Alumni

oh nice! I always use a window but it makes my hand cramp really badly. A light box is an awesome idea

nikoby
nikoby profile pic Alumni

Awesome, I will definitely keep checking in on your progress. I have been considering getting a light box...

speakerine
hellofromthemoon said:

oh nice! I always use a window but it makes my hand cramp really badly. A light box is an awesome idea

heeh so you should buikd one of these !

Elma e Francis said:

watching it. Light boxes are really very useful. I made one with an old scanner some time ago

yeah I saw the scanner technique on internet but I hadnt an old one to sacrice

taz-pie

my dad made me one when i was in college. they are SO handy for illustration.

Manupix

Mets des bons tubes fluos avec un ballast électronique, ça t'évitera la fatigue de la lumière scintillante (par rapport à un vieux ballast ferromagnétique).

airdeh

Cool! Is it going to have different viewing angles? Sure helps so you won't have to hunch over too much!

I 'made' a super budget (and ugly) one with a plastic folder and photo holder a couple years back for animating. :P

Manupix

I'm sure you guys could find cheap old photographer's lightboxes and retrofit them with new tubes if needed. The tube requirements for tracing are nonexistent, compared to photo stuff.

taz-pie
The Paper Crane said:

PS I have just returned from a month in your country and I must say it is rather beautiful.

wait. my country?

celandinestern
celandinestern profile pic Alumni
The Paper Crane said:

No I'm never going to your country Taz.

lol ouch :)

speakerine
The Paper Crane said:

PS I have just returned from a month in your country and I must say it is rather beautiful.

not everywhere, but some places are good!

speakerine
The Paper Crane said:

I couldn't live without mine. My grandfather made it many moons ago when he still walked the earth.

I would have like that from my granpa

jamesnotjim

I might have a bash at making one of these cool blog speakerine :)

ThePaperCrane
ThePaperCrane profile pic Alumni
speakerine said:
The Paper Crane said:

Yep prefer the South where there are more hills, mountains, gorges and beautiful swimming rivers and lakes.

Manupix
The Paper Crane said:
speakerine said:
The Paper Crane said:

Yep prefer the South where there are more hills, mountains, gorges and beautiful swimming rivers and lakes.

Where'd you go?

Manupix
The Paper Crane said:

Cevenne and Pyrenees

Good choices =)

alexmdc
alexmdc profile pic Alumni
alexmdc said:

niiice!

do you work everything by hand first?

I used to do everythign by hand, but have been working a lot more and more on just the cintiq, since it's close to sketching right on a paper.

I do try and do traditional stuff all the time still, keeps me from becoming a digital robot haha

taz-pie
The Paper Crane said:

No I'm never going to your country Taz.

FINE. * flounces off to pet a lion

No account?
Join Us