Is this too crazy?

Okay, now that I'm back in the saddle I can't stop thinking about my other drawings being Threadless shirts.

What do you guys think of this drawing? Any chance it could be a shirt? I think it might be too crazy. For sure I would have to reduce the number of colors.

Maybe the proportions are wrong...

Watch this
blackhand_
blackhand_ profile pic Alumni

I think the proportions would work fine on a shirt. I can see it working once you tone down the color palette. Seems like halftones would work well with an illustration like this.

TheInfamousBaka
TheInfamousBaka profile pic Alumni

I think it's just the right amount of crazy and I love the colors!

kirstenmccrea
kirstenmccrea profile pic Alumni

Thanks guys! Halftones are a great idea. I have yet to master them... but it's been on my to-do list for a while.

blackhand_
blackhand_ profile pic Alumni
Ryder Revolution said:

love this

NO halftones!

foodstampdavis said:

I love it as-is. I am against halftoning this.

Wow, you racist Hitlers.

Matias Corado

I like it! But I think that triangles are a little bit distracting. Maybe you can try with a gradient (mesh perhaps???) mixing colors in hair and clean up the face applying just few colors.

hellofromthemoon
hellofromthemoon profile pic Alumni

It's perfect just as it is, don't change anything! Or if you do at least submit the original too, it's great :D

kirstenmccrea

Ha ha ha, the anti-halftoning contingent has come out! Now it seems split 50/50. Hard to choose! Though like I said, I really don't know how to halftone, so that might play a factor.

I do like that idea of trying a version with minimal color in the face.

Thanks for all the feedback everyone!

littlem
TheInfamousBaka said:

I think it's just the right amount of crazy and I love the colors!

yup

abstracttimes

I didn't either (know how to do the halftone) but this post piqued my interest enough to google a tutorial. Sort of cool effect when I tried it on one of my pieces. Might look pretty sweet on yours. Link is here.

littlem

also, please make a version of this, but with a 50s girl with her hair in a similar style but the loops in her hair are 45 rpm vinyls. :D

SteveOramA
SteveOramA profile pic Alumni
littlem said:

also, please make a version of this, but with a 50s girl with her hair in a similar style but the loops in her hair are 45 rpm vinyls. :D

I was wanting to see vinyl records too!

jaywalkergraphics
jaywalkergraphics profile pic Alumni
littlem said:

Same. I totally see vinyl records. I think the hair alone makes this a win, even without the triangles. For me, at least.

kirstenmccrea

Actual vinyl hair is a great idea! I didn't notice the similarity until the end... methinks I need to do another.

@abstracttimes: thanks for the link to that tutorial!

@chuck p comics: for this I used a combination of Sharpie markers (I think I will use Copic next time...it's just what I had on hand), and Montana's Fine Tip Acrylic paint pen. The original is 11 x 14 inches.

My current design (http://www.threadless.com/teganandsara/tegan-sara-heartthrob-6/) was done entirely in Sharpie black and gold oil paint markers. <3 the oil paint markers!

taz-pie

Would totally wear this as-is! Niiiiiice

jordanmemari

Love it bit not too keen on the texture you can see on the colours.

Copics, Letraset's or any other alcohol based markers would get rid of this and make the colours more flat/even :-)

ivanrodero
ivanrodero profile pic Alumni

This is great don't change anything, it's awesome. :^)

kirstenmccrea
jordanmemari said:

Love it bit not too keen on the texture you can see on the colours.

Copics, Letraset's or any other alcohol based markers would get rid of this and make the colours more flat/even :-)

I'm not keen on the streaks either! Would definitely flatten out the colours in Photoshop before submitting, and will use Copics in real life from now on! There were some other nice markers at the art store but they STANK. Hopefully Copics kill fewer brain cells :P

bortwein
bortwein profile pic Alumni

Just letting you know I came in here and instantly click the "Follow" artist button. Keep it up.

kaizenkris

Already great as it is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What are you waiting for digitalize it! and its asian, and I'm asian.. asians are awesome im a racist! LOL! A big fan of colorful artwork and you took it to another level!

O.Almasry

I like it so much I would have given that 5$ as it is if it was up for scoring :D

rb_blueroses

I like it as it, but can't help wondering what it would look like if the triangles on the face followed the planes/angles of facial anatomy. Like the artist does here, only simpler and, of course, in your style:

leballo

its super the way it is $

kirstenmccrea
rb_blueroses said:

I like it as it, but can't help wondering what it would look like if the triangles on the face followed the planes/angles of facial anatomy. Like the artist does here, only simpler and, of course, in your style:

That's a pretty interesting idea. So many things to try now: simpler colours, different shapes, 45 rpms in hair. Aaah! Ha ha, seriously though, all super great suggestions. Thanks everyone!

No account?
Join Us