Close
One second...

Mammoth Cloning Project

I've been trying to keep up with The Mammoth cloning project, which blows my mind to think of having a giant hairry elephant with giant tusks walking around again after thousands of years.

What are your thoughts on that?

also a quick shameless plug to my new design, inspired by the project : PREHISTORIC

Watch this
TheArtistDude

Haha! Awesome! Heading over to $5 it now!

airdeh

Hahah knew nothing of it! Googling it up now!

vectored_life

Just 5'd it too. Brilliant!

I read on a music site that they are wanting to use the same technology to clone John Lennon from the DNA of his tooth.

As for the cloning, I think it will have (eventually) great advancements for health problems. Limbs, organs, etc.

nikoby
nikoby profile pic Alumni

Do human clones have souls?

alexmdc
alexmdc profile pic Staff
3 designs submitted - Score now!

They're saying that it will explain a lot about why they were extinct etc.

I think someone just really wants to try some mammoth burgers

ivanrodero

Mmmmm mammoth burgers.

PeculiarTiffany
PeculiarTiffany profile pic Alumni

Having mammoths would be amazing. It's like a hairier Jurassic Park.

When I saw your mammoth design I was all like

I wish I had your brain.

DRO72
DRO72 profile pic Alumni

cloning a prehistoric animal would probably be knocking over the first domino towards armageddon, but it would be so f-ing cool and totally with it.

i love your design!

vectored_life
nikoby said:

Do human clones have souls?

Sorry, no souls included. lol

FoodStampDavis
FoodStampDavis profile pic Alumni

I say if there is something to learn from it then why not?

But, as DRO72 says, it's also probably the first scene in the movie about the destruction of humanity.

But at least we'll go out with giant, hairy, man-eating elephants!

airdeh

I think the possibility that they can be cloned to existence is pretty cool! Who wouldn't love that furry thang?

But there's a lot to consider besides the scientific/technological side of it. Why are they bringing back the mammoth - How does doing that improve the world or ecological system? Can the mammoth even adapt in the world today? And i agree with this: "many ecologists argue that we shouldn't focus attention on de-extinction when so many living species face extinction themselves."

But that aside, loved your sub! Your ideas are always top notch :D

alexmdc

Yeah I think it's pretty crazy as well, I think it's mostly that they're gonna do it because they can, and were lucky enough to find a specimen that still had liquid blood after so many years.

moosabman
moosabman profile pic Alumni

yeah I couldn't believe it when they showed that video of liquid blood oozing out. What the?!?! Lets clone it up!

airdeh

Dang humans! Doing things just because they can! Hahah Gonna check out that video naoooo

quick-brown-fox
quick-brown-fox profile pic Alumni
4 designs submitted - Score now!

I remember hearing about this on one of the Ricky Gervais podcasts ages ago. Karl misheard and though he said "Man Moth". Many people hate Ricky Gervais - if you're one of those people don't click this

FoodStampDavis
FoodStampDavis profile pic Alumni
moosabman said:

yeah I couldn't believe it when they showed that video of liquid blood oozing out. What the?!?! Lets clone it up!

Link?

airdeh
foodstampdavis said:
moosabman said:

Link?

This I think..

Pyne
Pyne profile pic Alumni
1 design submitted -

I remember reading a similar news story about 5 years ago that promised a cloned mammoth in three years. If you do the math, I've been bitter for 2 years.

"Prehistoric" is amazeballs by the way!

alexmdc

Yeah according to some of the latest ones I read, it says they have the elephant which will be injected with the DNA of the mammoth, so once she's pregnant it will give birth to a mammoth.

Projected about 5-6 years tho :( I want to see him now!!!!

Ryder
Ryder profile pic Alumni

Jeff Goldblum warned us of this...

Pyne
Pyne profile pic Alumni
1 design submitted -

I wonder if he'll use walrus DNA to fill in any sequence gaps...

the robster files

Thanks for sharing that photo, love the mammoth image.

melmike
melmike profile pic Alumni

If they can pull this off, it would be a crowning achievement of science... a pretty damn big if though.

As far as they 'why?', kind of irrelevant in my opinion. There are literally thousands of fantastic scientific discoveries that were the fruit of unintended consequences from unrelated research. But if I had to answer why do this? Nothing more is needed than the simple fulfilment of our own sense of awe and wonder.

littlem
alexmdc said:

They're saying that it will explain a lot about why they were extinct etc.

I think someone just really wants to try some mammoth burgers

hmmm, or open up "mammoth fertilizer: no job is too big or hairy for us"

melmike
melmike profile pic Alumni

Considering that 99.9% of all species that ever lived are extinct, surely the better question is, why isn't what's left extinct?

No account?
Join Us