Close
One second...

Need ideas on how to make my art look t-shirt worthy

Hey fellow artistic guys and dolls, this is my first post here :)

I am normally a self-sufficient artist who refuses to ask for help but I am completely stumped. I have created a character called Billy the killer, all my pieces of work thus far containing him are here http://dsaintd.deviantart.com/gallery/45089916

Billy has been made half famous because I'm using a completely new style of art for me to create these pictures. I photoshop my pen drawings of him onto real pictures to give him the look of being a real life drawn character...but I am absolutely at a loss as to how to make something using him look well on a t-shirt.

So far all I've been able to come up with is http://www.threadless.com/yourenext/billy-the-killer-2/ but as you can see it is lacking that something which makes a t-shirt awesome

Any suggestions are welcome

Cheers
Darren

Watch this
chuck p comics

this character is disturbing. and any character doesn't work on a t-shirt! a design has to tell a story, have a concept! not just a character

kaizenkris
1 design submitted - Score now!

....Except if the character looks really awesome got great colors and awesome details.. What chuck said. It can win, but you need a good background for it.. Judging from that kind of character a great concept it "Killing someone but in a funny way" because he looks funny but still that mask gives me creeps. Another opinion is create a dark colored background and then put him in it, he will stand out since he is just white.

kalmansor

I agree that the character needs a story, and one that the customers can easily pick up and understand. You should ask yourself: Would someone who doesn't know Billy's story get the humor behind the t-shirt design? A strong concept is the first step to a great design. Also, although I know your style is pen drawings over real images, for a t-shirt it would read better as one or the other (although I could see this type of work translating well to a vector). Hope that helps!

dsaintd

These are very valid points....I never really thought of it that way before. A character on a t-shirt is more like merch than an actual t-shirt design. Cheers both of you, I appreciate it :)

dsaintd
kalmansor said:

I agree that the character needs a story, and one that the customers can easily pick up and understand. You should ask yourself: Would someone who doesn't know Billy's story get the humor behind the t-shirt design? A strong concept is the first step to a great design.

Yeah I see this now, only myself and people who have been following his story on one of my sites would get the humour and idea behind it. I have plenty of other good concepts/ideas so I will focus more on them for t-shirts and leave this character style work for the art.

Thanks so much :)

No account?