Close
One second...

Need ideas on how to make my art look t-shirt worthy

Hey fellow artistic guys and dolls, this is my first post here :)

I am normally a self-sufficient artist who refuses to ask for help but I am completely stumped. I have created a character called Billy the killer, all my pieces of work thus far containing him are here http://dsaintd.deviantart.com/gallery/45089916

Billy has been made half famous because I'm using a completely new style of art for me to create these pictures. I photoshop my pen drawings of him onto real pictures to give him the look of being a real life drawn character...but I am absolutely at a loss as to how to make something using him look well on a t-shirt.

So far all I've been able to come up with is http://www.threadless.com/yourenext/billy-the-killer-2/ but as you can see it is lacking that something which makes a t-shirt awesome

Any suggestions are welcome

Cheers
Darren

Watch this
kaizenkris

....Except if the character looks really awesome got great colors and awesome details.. What chuck said. It can win, but you need a good background for it.. Judging from that kind of character a great concept it "Killing someone but in a funny way" because he looks funny but still that mask gives me creeps. Another opinion is create a dark colored background and then put him in it, he will stand out since he is just white.

kalmansor

I agree that the character needs a story, and one that the customers can easily pick up and understand. You should ask yourself: Would someone who doesn't know Billy's story get the humor behind the t-shirt design? A strong concept is the first step to a great design. Also, although I know your style is pen drawings over real images, for a t-shirt it would read better as one or the other (although I could see this type of work translating well to a vector). Hope that helps!

dsaintd

These are very valid points....I never really thought of it that way before. A character on a t-shirt is more like merch than an actual t-shirt design. Cheers both of you, I appreciate it :)

dsaintd
kalmansor said:

I agree that the character needs a story, and one that the customers can easily pick up and understand. You should ask yourself: Would someone who doesn't know Billy's story get the humor behind the t-shirt design? A strong concept is the first step to a great design.

Yeah I see this now, only myself and people who have been following his story on one of my sites would get the humour and idea behind it. I have plenty of other good concepts/ideas so I will focus more on them for t-shirts and leave this character style work for the art.

Thanks so much :)

No account?
Join Us