Close
One second...

New Wacom Meh

I'll pass...

New Wacom Companion Tablets

Wacom introduced two tablets today--one that runs Windows 8, starting at $1999 (256 GB SSD, 8GB RAM) and one that runs Android, starting at $1499 (16 GB storage, 2 GB RAM).

The Wacom Companion Hybrid that runs Android is suited for "light sketching", according to Wacom. Also announced was a $99 pressure-sensitive stylus for the iPad.

For the price of the Wacom tablets, I'd think the Microsoft Surface Pro is a better option for Windows users. For Mac users, the jury's still out.

Watch this
PeculiarTiffany
PeculiarTiffany profile pic Alumni

Bleh. Though I guess another option for those that are on the move a lot and don't want to have to lug around a laptop as well.

ivanrodero

Meh, not an interesting product for me... I don't see why they think is a smart move to jump in a oversaturated market with an expensive product.

moosabman
moosabman profile pic Alumni

^this.

FoodStampDavis
FoodStampDavis profile pic Alumni

I have mild interest in the pressure sensitive stylus for iPad, but I feel it would be one of those things I'd spend 100 bucks on and then leave in a drawer when I realize I don't really need to be drawing on my iPad, ha.

thepapercut

I'll stick with my intuos4. This is just an overly priced surface clone..disappointed wacom.

Wolfgang8885

ill stick with my cheapy cheap cheap basic bamboo tablet.

Jordan_Bender
Jordan_Bender profile pic Alumni

Ugh, $1500? Wtf.

I have my $99 Bamboo tablet from 4 years ago and it's doing just fine.

Thomas Orrow
Thomas Orrow profile pic Alumni

If I had the spare cash I'd just buy one of those giant Cintiq thingies. I've got a Bamboo Fun by Wacom at the moment.

melmike
melmike profile pic Alumni

From someone who's always used paper, the $700 I spent on my intuos 5 was a big step, I'm hoping it'll last me a while yet. I'll no doubt get on board with 'screen' tablet when I do decide to upgrade, but I'm hoping that over the next few years the technology will improve while the price drops. $1500 buys a lotta tacos.

jaywalkergraphics
jaywalkergraphics profile pic Alumni

The Android one is super-duper-extra crazy for that price! What could be worth over $1K running glorified phone software? Wow. At least the $2K model runs Windows and has solid state storage. Still not very practical and nothing I'd spend money on, but the better of the two, in my opinion.

Wolfgang8885

I know I need one of those at some point, because I still have a hard time drawing on a tablet by my keyboard, while staring at the screen. That coordination isnt there yet.

jaywalkergraphics
jaywalkergraphics profile pic Alumni

I have recently started considering a drawing tablet, finally. I never thought I could draw well enough to warrant it, but I think it's time to cross over and learn as I go. Seems like tablet people are in here, so, what's a good starter? And what are some benefits of the "nicer" ones?

melmike

I went for the large Wacom, and I'm very pleased with that decision. I get what Wolfgang is saying about coordination though, a couple of months later, I'm still not as good with it as I am on paper. Though I expect that would be less of a problem with the screen ones.

moosabman

^ I dunno, I have an intuos 5 and although nothing can be as true as paper, not having my hand/stylus covering the physical surface of my visual space is pretty awesome. If its already "fake" aka "digital" why not get the benefit of having an invisible hand draw it on screen?

moosabman

I only have the medium though. How do you like the large? I was really on the fence, but figured since I have a smaller monitor it would be better to take a medium.

Wolfgang8885

i used to draw out my designs, then scan them in and work over them in Photoshop, but lately ive just been doing everything from scratch in Illustrator. I have yet to find a comfortable style. I'm starting to just sketch things directly in Photoshop, which gives it a nice texture and look to things but its not clean lol.

Underdawg
Underdawg profile pic Alumni

I've tried 3 times to move on to a tablet and failed miserably. Being left handed, it doesn't feel natural at all to use a a tablet.

Met thinks something like a Cintiq Touch (where you can draw directly on the screen) could solve the problem?

Wolfgang8885

Yeah, but its so pricey! I say Threadless should give those out more often... ^_^

PeculiarTiffany

I drew with the mouse pretty regularly before I got my first tablet, and there is definitely a learning curve involved. And then once I moved from a regular tablet to the Cintiq, I had to get used to my hand being there again. It's just a matter of taking the time to adapt.

melmike
moosabman said:

^ I dunno, I have an intuos 5 and although nothing can be as true as paper, not having my hand/stylus covering the physical surface of my visual space is pretty awesome. If its already "fake" aka "digital" why not get the benefit of having an invisible hand draw it on screen?

Strangely, I never thought of that, and it's a very important point. I suppose I'm just used to having my hand cover things, but then, with paper, it's so easy to rotate around. I don't like rotating the image on screen and you're not going to be moving your tablet here and there. So yes, that is a big selling point the intuos.

I actually have no complaints with regards to my purchase, only that it will probably take a little while yet to settle in 100%. I'm probably somewhere like 90% at the moment. I'm happy I got the large, but I'm not sure I've taken full advantage of it just yet, but I do have a 27" display, so the proportions work very well.

Wolfgang8885

Ugh, adapting is so time consuming.

Wolfgang8885
melmike said:
moosabman said:

Strangely, I never thought of that, and it's a very important point. I suppose I'm just used to having my hand cover things, but then, with paper, it's so easy to rotate around. I don't like rotating the image on screen and you're not going to be moving your tablet here and there. So yes, that is a big selling point the intuos.

I actually have no complaints with regards to my purchase, only that it will probably take a little while yet to settle in 100%. I'm probably somewhere like 90% at the moment. I'm happy I got the large, but I'm not sure I've taken full advantage of it just yet, but I do have a 27" display, so the proportions work very well.

can u post a link to what you got exactly?

melmike

PLUS

PLUS

Wolfgang8885

Ohhh no, dont get me started on MACs!!!

melmike

If you don't have or want a Mac, it works with other computers. Have you got this one?

Or are you more of a modern man with this one?

: )

Wolfgang8885

Hahaha, ur a trip. I got a nice PC with all the bells and whistles. I'll check out that tablet. Mine is a small one.

melmike

Oh I see, like this one?

haha, jk, I'm not actually that huge of a mac fanboy, I admit they have their own problems.

azrael5

first when i saw it and the design and features,i fainted.then i woke up and saw the price and fainted.

hobigambar

Absolutely meh.

Sithi The Wierdo

LMAO.. but it's latest technology I reckon blockquote>JordanLBender said:

Ugh, $1500? Wtf.

I have my $99 Bamboo tablet from 4 years ago and it's doing just fine.

Sithi The Wierdo

LOL.. #THEBEST

melmike said:

If you don't have or want a Mac, it works with other computers. Have you got this one?

Or are you more of a modern man with this one?

: )

nikoby
nikoby profile pic Alumni

I love my wacom tablets. They are sturdy and last a long time, very good quality. I've had one of them for about 10 years and it works great (I have not been very kind to it over the years either). Although you have to fork over some dough, imo they are worth every penny.

I remember when I was in college my professor showed me his intuos 1 tablet (looked ancient) and it still worked great.

I suggest to anyone who thinks it still feels weird to try out different tips. A lot of them feel more natural and supply more natural resistance like a pencil. Right now, I mostly use my Intuos 4

Morkki
Morkki profile pic Alumni
2 designs submitted - Score now!
Underdawg said:

I've tried 3 times to move on to a tablet and failed miserably. Being left handed, it doesn't feel natural at all to use a a tablet.

Met thinks something like a Cintiq Touch (where you can draw directly on the screen) could solve the problem?

Sorry, but what does being left-handed have to do with it? (I'm not a leftie so I have no idea)

PeculiarTiffany

I agree, Nikoby, Wacoms are very sturdy. :-) Mine is over 10 years old, but works like a charm and I've always been able to give away my previous models to people that needed them.

ivanrodero
Morkki said:
Underdawg said:

Sorry, but what does being left-handed have to do with it? (I'm not a leftie so I have no idea)

Same question and I'm left-handed.

moosabman

There is a specific left handed setting I hope you are taking advantage of. If that doesn't help maybe it's just not comfortable to you.

melmike

I don't know, maybe he's like this guy...

"Let me use my strong hand."

blackhand_
blackhand_ profile pic Alumni

I bought a Cintiq 13HD a few months ago, and I don't regret that decision with these new products announced. The 13HD is portable enough to where I can take it anywhere and hook it up to my laptop. Sure it's not as easy as dragging along one tablet, but I usually work on multiple computers at a desk, so it's a non issue.

Better options than these new Wacoms are the Cintiq 13HD, Yiynova MSP19U, and Microsoft Surface Pro (which is now compatible with Adobe CS).

Chayground

Can I add another suggestion to the mix - this is one that I don't think it even out yet, but it's announced and should be shipping soon (unless it already has)

It's the Samsung ATIV Q

I keep hearing good things about it. Although it only has 4Gb of ram if does have a decent graphics chip and the latest intel chip, so it' supposed to run for a good 6 or 8 hours on a charge, has 1024 level wacom pen pressure sensitivity built in (it's got a wacom digitiser) and get this, its a 13 incher, but the screen resolution is 3000 by 1800, which sounds freaking awesome.

not sure of the price yet, but I reckon it will be cheaper than this wacom thing, and a lot better battery life and general tablet usage.

Chayground

link to it here

and the res is 3200x1800 so even better than I thought! and the price should be about $1500 so as cheap as the cheapest new wacom but insanely better in terms of screen res

jordanmemari
ivanrodero said:
Morkki said:
Underdawg said:

Another Lefty - I don't think being left-handed has anything to do with it... there's just a bit of a learning curve.

Also, a quality tablet is also necessary, I bought an A3 nasty cheap thing which had batteries in the pen - It was so terrible I binned in within a month and bought an Intuos 3. It's lasted me 8 years or so (I bought it whenever it launched).

I think I will be giving the companion a miss - the thought of working on windows again makes me shudder.

Also, the novelty of things like this being portable escapes me. fitting a normal intuos into a bag alongside a laptop is not exactly a burden.

Personally, as a freelancer who rarely has to work on a client's premises, I'm moving away from portability - being able to take a tablet wouldn't change the issues I have had with rubbish chairs, poor desk setups and noisy offices so when it comes to designing, I always do it from my own office where I am most comfortable and relaxed (there may even be the occasional 'cheeky' Jim Beam and Coke on those particularly busy days :-p)

Underdawg
Underdawg profile pic Alumni
jordanmemari said:
ivanrodero said:
Morkki said:
Underdawg said:

Another Lefty - I don't think being left-handed has anything to do with it... there's just a bit of a learning curve.

Also, a quality tablet is also necessary, I bought an A3 nasty cheap thing which had batteries in the pen - It was so terrible I binned in within a month and bought an Intuos 3. It's lasted me 8 years or so (I bought it whenever it launched).

I think I will be giving the companion a miss - the thought of working on windows again makes me shudder.

Also, the novelty of things like this being portable escapes me. fitting a normal intuos into a bag alongside a laptop is not exactly a burden.

Personally, as a freelancer who rarely has to work on a client's premises, I'm moving away from portability - being able to take a tablet wouldn't change the issues I have had with rubbish chairs, poor desk setups and noisy offices so when it comes to designing, I always do it from my own office where I am most comfortable and relaxed (there may even be the occasional 'cheeky' Jim Beam and Coke on those particularly busy days :-p)

To clarify here, if you hand me a pencil and paper, I draw with my left. Give me computer, I draw with my right. Was always taught to use left hand for hot keys and right hand for mouse. Now when I'm on the Wacom I try to use my right hand for the keyboard hot keys and struggle mightily. Takes me much longer to do simple drawings. Guess my brain is like wtf is going on here?!

jordanmemari
Underdawg said:
jordanmemari said:
ivanrodero said:
Morkki said:
Underdawg said:

To clarify here, if you hand me a pencil and paper, I draw with my left. Give me computer, I draw with my right. Was always taught to use left hand for hot keys and right hand for mouse. Now when I'm on the Wacom I try to use my right hand for the keyboard hot keys and struggle mightily. Takes me much longer to do simple drawings. Guess my brain is like wtf is going on here?!

Haha - yep, that's the learning curve - just gotta train yourself out of the habits you already have. I too use the mouse with my right hand and hotkeys with my left, but if I use my Wacom I switch and it feels just as natural (now it does anyway).

Force yourself to use it everyday for 2 months and you'll be rewarded time-wise in the long run.

When drafting concepts, I still sketch everything out on paper and then once happy will go digital.

kzjl
kzjl profile pic Alumni

Still.. no one beats the mouse power. =) can't afford those stuff, gaming mouse is still my best pal. haha

Jordan_Bender
Jordan_Bender profile pic Alumni
Morkki said:

That massive vibrator of a pen

I'd feel like I was drawing with one of these

No account?