Close
One second...

I'm stuck. How should I finish this? (90's sub WIP)

I decided that all my submissions are going to be Sonic related. One sub with Sonic (haven't started yet) this Tails one, and a Knuckles one that I'm working on with Goliath72.

Now take a look at my Tails one:

It's boring right now right? I mean it's a good idea but it needs... SOMETHING... Texture, for example. I need to know how to show that the "propellers" are spinning.
Clouds? No clouds? I don't know!

Watch this
jaywalkergraphics
jaywalkergraphics profile pic Alumni

I actually don't know the Sonic series very well, and I am horrible at creating visual effects, so all I can offer you is ten seconds of not being ignored, and a blog bump.

ivanrodero

I would to integrate better all the elements, probably with colour and make very tight palette, a warm one would look awesome.

Inspiration:

Also the tails seem a little bit simple in contrast to the helicopter and looks odd...

Hope it helps in something ;^)

bovary

I think it would work better if you put elements that imply more movement/action... Maybe you could draw the tail spinning

but in a way that would make it possible to identify that is Tails... You could put other elements that refer to the character also

Jordan_Bender
Jordan_Bender profile pic Alumni
1 design submitted -
bovary said:

I think it would work better if you put elements that imply more movement/action... Maybe you could draw the tail spinning

but in a way that would make it possible to identify that is Tails... You could put other elements that refer to the character also

Yeah I was thinking about incorporating the shoes somehow, or at least the colors. The blue circle is definitely looking weird right now.

bovary
JordanLBender said:
bovary said:

Yeah I was thinking about incorporating the shoes somehow, or at least the colors. The blue circle is definitely looking weird right now.

Yeah, the shoes are really iconic too :) Maybe you coud try something like that. For me the circle is a nice idea for the background, perhaps you could try a diferent size or color...

El-Be

I agree with everything said to this point. Try putting the shoes where the wheels of the landing gear are, that seems the most logical place.

Jordan_Bender
1 design submitted -

Took some advice and made color changes. Unsure about propellers and how to show they are moving. I don't want to make them completely blurred together because the joke would then become unclear. Still working :)

El-Be

Maybe more like this?

Jordan_Bender
1 design submitted -

Things in the works: I don't like how the rudder (?) looks. The furry tails need work. Shadows look bad. The shoes need to go on there. Hubby told me that these things would sometimes have symbols spray painted on. Might go somewhere with that.

Jordan_Bender
1 design submitted -
El-Be said:

Maybe more like this?

I'll see what I can do. I'm gonna be gone for a few hours though, my eyes need a break.

ckd

I think the realism of the helicopter is what's holding you back. The artwork is great, but it's coming out very static and flat. The tails in contrast look like they're just jutting out.

I think Bovay was right in that there needs to be more action in the work, not just with the rotor but with the composition as well. Personally I would also push the tails element of it, use his color scheme, maybe even draw a face features like

or like this: http://designyoutrust.com/2013/07/painted-mil-mi-24-hind/

littlem

to show how the propellars are spinning, you could just add simple (( )) on either sides.

littlem

stupid typos! :P

ivanrodero
littlem said:

to show how the propellars are spinning, you could just add simple (( )) on either sides.

This, also a mix of this could work:

You keep the tail shape just suggest movement wit lines and form.

Also the new colours look great ;^)

jamesnotjim

I like the idea of the helicopter itself being the same brown as tails and some face elements could be cool. Whatever way you decide to go the concept is great :)

Manupix

What ckd and Ivan and James said. Either it should be much more animal than machine. Or something else should be happening, preferably funny.

Then again, you could go towards those really early copters, or this.

Jordan_Bender
1 design submitted -

Hmmmm yeah I'm liking all these ideas! :)

Jordan_Bender
1 design submitted -

Slowly getting there!

ferfo

Much better Colours are still a bit bland though, should check your values, try changing to greyscale to see where you need to change them

Christina.A.art

I like it .. i agree maybe brighter colors :) what if the sun was sonic as his spinball!!

bovary

It's much better! Good choice to turn the helicopter the same color of the tail, and the lines really give the idea of movement to the tails. You're getting there! :D

Jordan_Bender
1 design submitted -
Christina.A.art said:

I like it .. i agree maybe brighter colors :) what if the sun was sonic as his spinball!!

Hahah neat! I'm glad I posted this here and asked y'all. :] And yeah I still want to mess around with the colors, brightness, etc

littlem

lookin great! can hardly wait to see your experiments with colors!

Jordan_Bender
1 design submitted -

Yay for brighter colors!

Christina.A.art

I like the color change the black lines for a swirl might look better in white the gray shadow of the tail in the tail i don't think you need it just my opinion goodluck :)!

EZFL
EZFL profile pic Alumni

Redraw the helicopter with looser/more playful lines, so that it matches up better with the tails. Also remove any unnecessary details on it.

littlem

looks awesome

P0ckets
P0ckets profile pic Alumni

Really like the latest version - I think the details on the heli add to it nicely.

azrael5

t know anything about sonic sries,but your latest design progress looks amazing!...keep going :D

ManuinMotion

I think the movement of the propellars would get better from an upper vision. Something like this:

I really like the idea of adding the shoes.

arthurlucena

Nice progression, to this latest version, I think you could normalize the light source (on the body the light comes from top, but on the tails the light comes from behind) and try to reduce the difference between the at style of the tails and the body, just like xiv said.

littlem

i actually like the contrasting styles of the heli and the tails. the only thing i would change is the color on the tails. i'd make the inner part the light color and the outer edge the lighter color.

littlem

hehe so many opinions! poor jordan!

NCowick

Awesome progression. Much improved from the starting point. You always end up with so many varying opinions from these blogs it's difficult to decide what to go with, and what to toss out. Having said that feel free to toss this next suggestion out, lol.

For me one of the first things to come to mind from sonic apart from the characters is the gold rings. How horrible would it look to integrate some of those somehow? Maybe a row of a few in front of the helicopter? Might not work at all, but it's the only thought I had. Do with it what you will ;) Good luck moving forward

hm087ster

The main propeller doesn't look like its moving still and it's motion trail(?) seems to be at a wrong angle. If that makes any sense.

No account?
Join Us