Close
One second...

Busting my ass on this... need help!

Many hours on this so far and I still need to finish the inking and figure out some of the final layout elements.

Thanks to everyone so far, but I'm still working on it so if anyone else has any thoughts...

Watch this
El-Be

Hey, I'm not familiar with the show so can't advise you there, and I'm pretty new myself, but I'll give you my thoughts.

Your background is very busy although well drawn. You need to think about how it will actually look on a tee. If you try and mock this up you will find that it doesn't fit well because you will be left with the straight edges of your canvas. There are a few ways around this. You can have a design that "floats" on a transparency and so makes the tee itself the background, or you could attempt to distress the edges so that the design blends in to the tee.

Although everything is well drawn, it seems to me that some of your elements don't gel together very well into one seamless piece, Their styles don't seem to fit each other.

I hope this gives you a few things to think about. Good luck with it.

Elma e Francis

I think you can loose all the text to start

Pyne
Pyne profile pic Alumni
1 design submitted -
El-Be said:

Hey, I'm not familiar with the show so can't advise you there, and I'm pretty new myself, but I'll give you my thoughts.

Your background is very busy although well drawn. You need to think about how it will actually look on a tee. If you try and mock this up you will find that it doesn't fit well because you will be left with the straight edges of your canvas. There are a few ways around this. You can have a design that "floats" on a transparency and so makes the tee itself the background, or you could attempt to distress the edges so that the design blends in to the tee.

Although everything is well drawn, it seems to me that some of your elements don't gel together very well into one seamless piece, Their styles don't seem to fit each other.

I hope this gives you a few things to think about. Good luck with it.

^ agreed:) Looks great but maybe needs some editing. The background is really cool and atmospheric, but could draw too much attention from your main figure, which I love. Just spitballin thoughts, so feel free to ignore, but maybe just the main figure and a simple monochromatic Frankenstien's lab?

Good luck- bustin ass and feeling stuck sucks:) Looking forward to where it goes next!

blackhand_
blackhand_ profile pic Alumni
Elma e Francis said:

I think you can loose all the text to start

Yup. I'd also switch to a flat rendering style more in line with the cartoon. It looks better and is more consistent with the style on the show.

frauleinkatrina
frauleinkatrina profile pic Alumni

I think your style is interesting for this challenge, it's nice that it doesn't just look like something directly from the show. I agree with pretty much everyone in that you just have too much going on. I would suggest just taking your monster creation and filling that out with darker darks and some highlights. Really make it solid, and see how it fills out a shirt with no text, carl, or mooninites. Based on that you can decide to either work more on the other elements or not use them at all, but for the amount of effort you're putting in I would say to focus one the most important part first and go from that feel.

abstracttimes

Thanks everyone. So the complex background is on the chopping block. For a variant I'm going to lose the text completely and pull the creation/monster up in front of a simpler background by itself (I really like the idea of a lab background) and see how that looks. I'm also thinking about how the edges will work as a t-shirt design and have an idea (please someone tell me if this has been done or if it sounds too cheesy)...

I want to make the border look like the viewer is looking through a craggy-looking hole (like a hole in a drywall wall or something) at the scene, then take the "Aqua TV Show Show", make it bigger, move it towards the upper left corner, and bring it out in front so that it looks like it's floating closer to the viewer (so layer-wise it would be the "Aqua TV..." in front, then the hole/border, then the characters furthest away but still big). Not sure if anyone else can visualize it from my description, but if anyone can, what do you think? Or should I just lose all text completely?

frauleinkatrina

If you're going to be looking in through a hole, might as well make that hole a broken brick wall and have the text as graffiti on the outside. I would like the see just the monster first, then see if it really feels like it needs all the extra. Think small and only add stuff as you need it, when you need it.

abstracttimes

A friend suggested trying something like this to simplify and integrate a background(ish) element into the design. Any thoughts?

abstracttimes

How about this? How does the TL community generally feel about brick walls and drop shadows?

Wolfgang8885

Oh wow. Great improvement! There's something about the white border, and the font that doesn't fit well though.

El-Be

Million miles better, I agree about the white border, looks a bit off. It feels unbalanced a little bit now, due to the big negative space in the bottom left, try dropping the wall down a few hundred pixels? or extending it? Or just put your guy back in (without all the extras). Keep at it!

abstracttimes

Thanks guys. I'm going to have to rethink the white border and font. Maybe work on a mad scientist-type lab that Pyne suggested?

abstracttimes

Got rid of the white border, text, and brick for a new Carl-included/new background variant (can anyone identify where I found this background? If it's obvious or I haven't altered it enough then I know I don't want to use it). I think I'm going to go back to my earlier idea and create a design with all of the characters in the original design laid out to be viewed through a hole-in-a-wall type effect.

I'd love to know if anyone thinks any of the above versions are moving in the right direction to be deemed submission-worthy. Thanks.

abstracttimes

Wife hated the green. This is for her. :)

taz-pie

i can see you are doing loads of work over and over, but to be honest i dont like it at all. i would never wear this as it is neither beautiful nor clever nor brilliant nor... anything really. i don't get the concept.

abstracttimes

Thanks for the feedback taz-pie. I really do appreciate any feedback I get. Definitely not everyone's cup of tea... I'm just trying to work out a submission that will appeal to fans of the show, but still have the successful design elements necessary to be considered for print. :)

hm087ster

How can you appreciate her feedback? She's a brutal...

o2disegno
taz-pie said:

i can see you are doing loads of work over and over, but to be honest i dont like it at all. i would never wear this as it is neither beautiful nor clever nor brilliant nor... anything really. i don't get the concept.

Taz-pie like to say bad things in all the designs hahahahahaha see she has scored 17614 submissions, giving an average score of 1.34 XD

frauleinkatrina

I'm all for brutal honesty! Seriously, taz-pie, never change. For this, though, I think the single franken-creature would actually be okay. It's passable as something that meshes with the show, and it's in a style that's unique. I would seriously stop messing around and adding things to it, it just makes it messy. Also, the backgrounds aren't working at all. They're a different style completely and they just look like something you dropped in as an afterthought. Please, just put the monster on a shirt, by itself, no background, at least as a post here.

hm087ster

She never offers constructive criticism, as far as I've seen.

abstracttimes
frauleinkatrina said:

I'm all for brutal honesty! Seriously, taz-pie, never change. For this, though, I think the single franken-creature would actually be okay. It's passable as something that meshes with the show, and it's in a style that's unique. I would seriously stop messing around and adding things to it, it just makes it messy. Also, the backgrounds aren't working at all. They're a different style completely and they just look like something you dropped in as an afterthought. Please, just put the monster on a shirt, by itself, no background, at least as a post here.

Thanks frauleinkatrina... sometimes it's hard to let go of the "vision".

Christina.A.art
1 design submitted -

I actually like your original its crazy just like the show :) Ignore the haters. Your last update looks good tho.. i dont know how much more input you want because you really been doing alot with the design. I would do two submits one of your very first post and then how you have it at the last post. My suggestion would be that meatwad sticks out like hes plastic wrapped instead of the same texture as everything else.. even those hes fake meat lol he might need a lil more detail. maybe to give it more of a background you could add more of the lightning like zaps crazy everywhere behind it! Goodluck thought its coming along great!

Christina.A.art
1 design submitted -

I really like the first one you posted lol at the top is my fav choice

abstracttimes

Thanks Christina! I've submitted that last design, now I'm going to finish up a variant that includes most of the elements of the first (that looking-through-a-hole idea I mentioned a few posts back). Thanks to everyone for all the feedback! It was a huge help!

No account?