Holidays in Dubai

Anyone been, live there or anything. Look.

Watch this
hm087ster

My Dad and nephew have been there. Amazing place, they say. Especially the view from the Khalifa building.

hm087ster

Burj Khalifa (tower), sorry.

Thomas Orrow
Thomas Orrow profile pic Alumni

Oooh, I've not lived there or anything but have met a few people who have worked out there. Wasn't there some kind of mini-economic collapse for a brief amount of time there with people leaving their keys and cars at the airport?

It seems like a very interesting place, although you're not allowed to drink or kiss anybody in public. Kind of the opposite of an 18-30's holiday.

azrael5

QBF i live in Dubai...this is the pic of one of the 3 'Palms'...their names are:Palm dubai(biggest among them),Palm Deira and Palm Jumeirah....there is a monorail train dedicated to sight seeing inside the palm area....

next to tese is another amazing man made island in the shape of the World..small islands mocking the shape of africa,asia,america n all...i heard brad pitt has bought a country in it O.0

Burj Khalifa(Initially Burj Dubai) is another amazing place here.Burj is the Arabic for 'Tower'.Apart from the view from 'At The Top' deck,one other amazing thing about Burj Khalifa is it's fireworks(Usually New year dawn)..If anyone not seen this spectacular thing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itdU523TyVE

I can go on if you want :)

Thomas Orrow

What's the economy like there at the moment? Many jobs for graphic designers? :) Or are you just the regular run of the mill billionaire oil tycoon?

azrael5

thomas : you must have noticed all my designs are splatters of oil left overs and dirt from digging in here...so threadless designing is my part time...mainly,i'm oil digging

the graphic design scenery is not as developed as you would expect for a bling city as Dubai...but definitely developing...the facilities are good for learning,but job wise,not much strong for graphic designers..also Marvel and the likes are getting a foothold on the local talent here and encouraging it

..the rulers here aims everything for Number 1 spot..you can feel it in the largest building,man made island,driver-less Metro train etc in Dubai.. if the graphic designing scenerio gets under his radar,then this place gonn burst.

quick-brown-fox
quick-brown-fox profile pic Alumni

I'm watching documentaries on youtube about it it, I've watched three so far. How they built the two palms and the world, and they're planning something bigger. Another about all the rich people, and another about the mega structures.

I lived in Riyadh for a time, which is a very strict muslim place, Dubai looks like vegas in comparison, but yes, I think it's important to respect other cultures when you're in their country.

Azreal, is it possible for tourists to go up to the top of the Burj Khalifa?

azrael5

QBF it's FOR tourists!...you'll have to set on a mission to find locals there...btw,as opposed to popular belief,it's actually not the toppest tip of the Burj Khalifa.It's somewhere at around 75% of the height of the building,where there is a deck with 360 view and powerful telescope/binocular stuffs...recently google came up with a project in their map so people can get the same view from Burj Khalifa as if they were standing there.

azrael5

yes Riyadh is capital of Saudi Arabia-The place consisting of Makkah & Madina(Holy places for Muslims)...the rules there are more strict than in other arab countries....but generally,the arab countries are far more easy going than many westerners think.

azrael5

I live and work in UAE...i'm not sure about the costs to come here...once here,it's only moderately expenseive.and amazing place with a lot happening

azrael5

where do you live QBF?

azrael5

Mutawa u mean large bearded people n all?...not much...this is a place where the foriegners are around 80% of the total population..so very diversed atmosphere..a lot of english people too...the nationals are very wealthy and freindly in general...and there are places in dubai where you can find no local nationalities at all...so much foriegners

azrael5

no that's not here...here the police is very freindly from my and my freinds expeirience...i found them giving food parcels to people who went to them during ramadan...also dubai police has the fastest cars in world..just google it you'll be astonished!

azrael5

fuuuuuuuuuuuu

Thomas Orrow

Nice cars! Also thanks for answering azrael5. :) Always interesting to find out about new places. I've been to Abu Dhabi several times, but sadly only to the airport!

azrael5

Thomas :)

macdoodle
macdoodle profile pic Alumni
quick-brown-fox said:

Yes, I saw these!

Wooooaaahhh! Those are sweet!

P0ckets
P0ckets profile pic Alumni

Oh cool - Azrael I lived in Dubai for 4 years when I was at school (lived opposite the wild wadi!) - have you been there long?

azrael5

Pockets: aha when was it you were in dubai...recent?...i know very much the place you lived -called Jumeirah yes?..Last year i took a season pass at Wild Wadi,and i was always n always there...they have a new ride there,which is similar to death hanging people ..you enter a vertical tube and stand there,suddenly the floor pulls out beneath you,and you fall through the slide tube for abt 250 meters...man scary !..if you are around any soon,you must try that..and maybe we can meet up.Cheers mate

P0ckets

That's crazy! I had to look up a video of the new ride - (here) - the old Jumeirah Sceirah used to be bad enough!

We were there from 1999 to 2005, so I haven't been to the UAE in ages, miss it though.

azrael5

yeah that!...each time you get on top of that,it's spine chilling fear man,each time...and the old sceirah was cool too...generally ,jumeirah is one of the coolest places in Dubai....So you never visited after that so any plans soon? :)...

very happy to know an ex-dubai threadfolk...where are u now and how's life?have a great time and take care.

P0ckets

Not sure really - might be nice to visit sometime and show my wife around, though it probably won't be for a year or two.

Went to university etc in the UK after Dubai - and my parents moved over here a couple years later so no more sunny holiday home. Now living in Norwich in England, and happily married so can't complain! What do you do out there?

azrael5

I work here in Finance in a company...threadless designing is after the day work...also did my schooling here so i have all my freinds here..having a good time.

I have a freind who lived in england,Manchester.from his photos,i understand it's a fairly rainy n snowy place.and Yesterday I saw a movie which was shot in a Looovvvveeellyy English Farm land,heavenly man!..the film name is 'The Holding'

Have a good time with your family.and If you want to check something locally in dubai just ask me ;)

azrael5

No mention QBF..i'd suggest these places if you are visiting:1.Yas Marina in Abu Dhabi 2.Ferrari Theme Park 3:Wild Wadi 4:Emirates Palace ..try to get better deals on these locations using coupons ... have fun :)

quick-brown-fox
quick-brown-fox profile pic Alumni

Ha, same happened to me when I was working in Riyadh, but it was before the palm. I can't remember which one, but I think at the time it was going to be the tallest, and then someone else started another one which was going to be slightly taller! Juniors get to stay in the office!

No account?
Join Us