Close
One second...

Honest Critique Blog (no butthurt allowed)

Hey guys, I used to do this before and it seemed like a cool thing. I'm offering honest critique, no ambiguities, no insincerity.

I know in theory all our crit should be like this, but fact is - and I fall into it too - most of the time we're way nicer in what we write than in what we're thinking - that's why pieces go through WIP and then tank in scoring and the artist is like huh? But everybody said it was sweet?

So anyways, post a thing (can be in WIP, scoring or an old piece) and I'll tell you what I think. Since that can be kinda overwhelming my fellow Platypie have agreed to hop in and give their pure-honest views too. We also invite everyone else to give honest crit in this blog. Hopefully it can help us all grow. If it starts to get too confusing with people commenting on a ton of different things, we'll rethink our strategy.

THIS IS NOT A PLACE FOR WRITING 'WOAH, IT'S PERFECT!!!' AND WALKING OUT! Nothing is perfect. Say what you mean.

HOUSE RULES

• one piece at a time

• post pics please so we're not hunting for links through a gajillion comments

• don't get butthurt :)

• feel free to help other folks out and comment on something that strikes you.

Watch this
Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. 9
celandinestern
celandinestern profile pic Alumni
O.Almasry said:

This is my first submission here so I'm kind of a newbie :D I know I should have posted here for critique before submitting but some constructive criticism would be helpful anyway :) please leave your critique here and score the design, thanks in advance :D

http://www.threadless.com/threadless/strength-in-numbers-2/

oooh nearly missed you there because no picture :)

it looks kinda.... dirty? Messy. I get you were going for the textured grungy feel to connect the numbers but it's way too splotchy for my taste. If I were doing it I'd have hand-drawn the numbers, maybe made them different colors, used something to make them a little more interesting and figured out a way to bring them together without giving that mucky look. If you wanted to really go crazy you could have drawn the numbers as little characters holding hands or helping each other out to demonstrate their joint strength.

vectored_life
celandinestern said:
theillustratorman said:

celandinestern said:

THIS IS NOT A PLACE FOR WRITING 'WOAH, IT'S PERFECT!!!' AND WALKING OUT! Nothing is perfect. Say what you mean.

What if I think a design is perfect? Do I keep quiet?

Yeah, shut up. No srsly, if you think something is awesome as it is, check against these parameters - would I pay money for this? actual money? right now? If you would be willing to donate 20$ towards the printing of that shirt, then you're allowed to say it's perfect.

hmmm...good point. There is an issue with this for me though. Take the example below:

I love the artwork of this design. I even scored it a 5. Would I buy it? No but only because it doesn't fit my clothing style. Kinda girly to me but that's my opinion. Would I buy it for someone else? Only if they seen it and were like "OMG! I want that shirt! buy it for me since my [gift giving holiday] is coming up. However, I see this as selling to a large market of people because of the line work and the humor in it. (Sorry if humor wasn't what you were going for, that's how I see it).

I promise you I'm not ranting or frustrated at all. Completely happy. Love this blog too!

Musarter
Musarter profile pic Alumni

So far so good Lidja. I would concur with pretty much everything you have said so far.

I will have to stop by later to see if I can add my two-cents to any WIPs.

Matias Corado

Downvoting sucks!!! I like fair competition! If someone is better than me, isn't his/her fault. Just accept than in life there will be people better (and worse) than you. Not only designing / drawing, in a lot of different things. Instead of complaining, I prefer to think what can I do better.

I apreciate much more an honest opinion that not getting opinions at all.

Sometimes I don't give my opinion just because I don't catch the idea (because of cultural / language barriers) and sometimes because my english isn't enough good to be clear with my critiques.

celandinestern
theillustratorman said:
celandinestern said:
theillustratorman said:

celandinestern said:

What if I think a design is perfect? Do I keep quiet?

Yeah, shut up. No srsly, if you think something is awesome as it is, check against these parameters - would I pay money for this? actual money? right now? If you would be willing to donate 20$ towards the printing of that shirt, then you're allowed to say it's perfect.

hmmm...good point. There is an issue with this for me though. Take the example below:

I love the artwork of this design. I even scored it a 5. Would I buy it? No but only because it doesn't fit my clothing style. Kinda girly to me but that's my opinion. Would I buy it for someone else? Only if they seen it and were like "OMG! I want that shirt! buy it for me since my [gift giving holiday] is coming up. However, I see this as selling to a large market of people because of the line work and the humor in it. (Sorry if humor wasn't what you were going for, that's how I see it).

I promise you I'm not ranting or frustrated at all. Completely happy. Love this blog too!

Hahahahahah get out of here with my sub :)))

I don't mean that you personally need to want to buy it. All I mean is that you feel it is good enough to be an actual product people pay money for. I think a lot of time we see something kind of cute and go 'WOAH YOU DID SO GREAT' when if we stopped and thought about it, we'd realize that if we saw it in the spoiler blog we'd be like 'aw shit, they printed that thing??? So ok, new rule - if you want to see it in the spoiler blog, you can say it's perfect.

celandinestern
Matias Corado said:

Downvoting sucks!!! I like fair competition! If someone is better than me, isn't his/her fault. Just accept than in life there will be people better (and worse) than you. Not only designing / drawing, in a lot of different things. Instead of complaining, I prefer to think what can I do better.

I apreciate much more an honest opinion that not getting opinions at all.

Sometimes I don't give my opinion just because I don't catch the idea (because of cultural / language barriers) and sometimes because my english isn't enough good to be clear with my critiques.

I couldn't agree more! I think that's a great attitude to have, I feel the same way. Winning is about improving yourself, not about damaging the competition.

EverythingwasTaken
El-Be said:

Ok, so I've got this up.....

I didn't make a WIP because it was a labour of love. Now that it's done you can critique away.

I like the concept but that's about it (cringes at meanness). The skin and hair color don't match at all; give her peach skin or brown hair & green/brown eyes but don't make her uber tan and blonde/blue-eyed o.O The paint strokes in the background don't match the style of the rest of the design at all. I think something is necessary to differentiate the water from the sky but those paint strokes are not working. Also, her shoulders need to be lower. The fact that they're completely level with the neckline makes the pose seem stiff. The puffed sleeves on the princess make the shoulder height unnoticeable so it's okay on her. I feel bad being mean but I really like the concept and think it would make a great shirt if the style was improved.

O.Almasry
celandinestern said:
O.Almasry said:

This is my first submission here so I'm kind of a newbie :D I know I should have posted here for critique before submitting but some constructive criticism would be helpful anyway :) please leave your critique here and score the design, thanks in advance :D

http://www.threadless.com/threadless/strength-in-numbers-2/

oooh nearly missed you there because no picture :)

it looks kinda.... dirty? Messy. I get you were going for the textured grungy feel to connect the numbers but it's way too splotchy for my taste. If I were doing it I'd have hand-drawn the numbers, maybe made them different colors, used something to make them a little more interesting and figured out a way to bring them together without giving that mucky look. If you wanted to really go crazy you could have drawn the numbers as little characters holding hands or helping each other out to demonstrate their joint strength.

Yeah I get your point :D i wanted it to be "dirty" to give it a more street look since its referring more to occupy movement and protests in general :D But I appreciate your point of view, will try to submit things here before I submit them to the guys at threadless :D Thanks for taking the time to write this feedback :)

celandinestern
O.Almasry said:

Yeah I get your point :D i wanted it to be "dirty" to give it a more street look since its referring more to occupy movement and protests in general :D But I appreciate your point of view, will try to submit things here before I submit them to the guys at threadless :D Thanks for taking the time to write this feedback :)

Glad to help :) As you practice you'll see that there's 'good dirty' and 'bad dirty', lol :) Texture and grunge is a powerful tool but it's not really intuitive to use at first, mostly when you first try you just end up making a mess. I know I did. But keep experimenting and you'll find things that work.

vectored_life

Oh, I just realized I have a pic of my design...

I've brought ice packs and a pair of shorts so I'm prepared for what you got celandinestern :)

celandinestern
theillustratorman said:

I've brought ice packs and a pair of shorts so I'm prepared for what you got celandinestern :)

ahahahah :)

I think it was a mistake to totally take out the background since it made the design whole - now you have three separate segments. The shadows are too strong, and I always feel it's best for the shadow to be a darker shade of the background color, rather than gray. that helps it come alive and adhere to the shirt.

Personally I'd make them a little smaller.

celandinestern

I love the face on the beheaded guy and the tattoo on one of the ruffians by the way.

vectored_life

For the shadows I used a transparent layer. I'm working on improving my shadows so they adapt to my designs printed on different colors should Threadless decide to print my design on multiple colors.

As for the background, I just couldn't get it to work without it looking blocky.

Working on my swollen cheeks now lol jk...out of curiosity, what would you personally score this?

cf4our

This is a design I want to submit to the 90's challenge, but (honestly) I suck at color. Any thoughts?

vectored_life
celandinestern said:

I love the face on the beheaded guy and the tattoo on one of the ruffians by the way.

Hahaha, I'm glad the tattoo is noticeable. I put that in there as a little joke for myself but wasn't sure if people would see it.

Thanks for the feedback and compliments.

celandinestern

For the shadows, feel free to make them in a color that suits your tee well. Threadless team will very easily change the color of your shadow if they want to put it on a different tee.

haha the score question is the hardest, because people interpret scores so differently. I'd probably score this 3 but if I didn't recognize the artist's name attached to it I might easily give it a 2. I have total friends bias when voting, I definitely score people I know a bit more generously. I'm being dangerously honest here now :)

My score scale goes like this:

5 - objectively awesome design with great idea behind it, I can see this in print. Alternatively, a design doing something extremely right, even if it fails at other things. (Space Butt got the biggest five in the world from me. I like designs with what I interpret as 'heart'.)

4 - objectively awesome design but the idea is tired/ trite/ pandering. Alternatively, a rough looking design but with some flash of greatness.

3 - 'nice try!' I'm smiling. You did something right. Definitely needs improvement in some areas.

2 - 90% of all designs. We'd never admit it openly but this is true for most people, if you look at scoring averages they tend to hover around 2. Mine is 2.25 currently. A 2 in my world means 'this is a design. There is nothing seriously wrong with it, but it's not doing it for me,'

1 - stolen, crappy, significantly poor in one or more areas (coloring, idea clarity, linework, concept strength, integration)

celandinestern
cf4our said:

This is a design I want to submit to the 90's challenge, but (honestly) I suck at color. Any thoughts?

what the heck is it? :)

It starts out strong in the top part and then kinda disintegrates. So there is a guy being thrown by a blast and two running away from something and what is that white blob above the front guy? It looks like you got tired of coloring and stopped for a break :) Then the leg of the front guy makes the overall shape of your design way too long and downwards-stretching, and that logo at the bottom is illegible and unrecognizable to me so maybe I'm missing a great joke here. I actually like it in strong black and white, I don't think it necessarily needs any colors. What it does need is a tighter composition and some more idea clarity :)

EverythingwasTaken
celandinestern said:
EverythingwasTaken said:

It'a already up for scoring, but I'd appreciate a critique of my Minimalist Bacon design so I know what to improve for future challenges. BTW I'm aware of the Jpeg artifacts near the bottom left and plan on fixing this by using a different image format in the future. I'd also appreciate it if you could tell me the score you'd give it. You're totally welcome to not score it, I'm just curious since Threadless says the number of ones/fives but not the numbers in between.

It's a totally fine rendition of bacon. Very nice, in fact. It looks natural and has just the right amount of streaks.

But the number of times I've seen that identical rendition of bacon (they're all slightly different but the overall effect is pretty much the same) renders this squarely into the 'meh' category for me. I know bacon is a huge thing on the internet (I dunno why though. I like to eat it, but I've no idea why we'd all wanna talk about it or wear it) but it has been done so many times that you can't just go 'look, bacon!!!' any more and expect people to be thrilled just because it goes well with their eggs. So without some deeper idea in there somewhere it's just a shrug from me.

It's good to know the execution went well :) I hear you when you say it's overdone; I guess I was just jumping on the bandwagon. Would something like the following bacon stripes be a little bit better? Or is the design just too overplayed without a visual pun?

vectored_life
celandinestern said:

For the shadows, feel free to make them in a color that suits your tee well. Threadless team will very easily change the color of your shadow if they want to put it on a different tee.

haha the score question is the hardest, because people interpret scores so differently. I'd probably score this 3 but if I didn't recognize the artist's name attached to it I might easily give it a 2. I have total friends bias when voting, I definitely score people I know a bit more generously. I'm being dangerously honest here now :)

My score scale goes like this:

5 - objectively awesome design with great idea behind it, I can see this in print. Alternatively, a design doing something extremely right, even if it fails at other things. (Space Butt got the biggest five in the world from me. I like designs with what I interpret as 'heart'.)

4 - objectively awesome design but the idea is tired/ trite/ pandering. Alternatively, a rough looking design but with some flash of greatness.

3 - 'nice try!' I'm smiling. You did something right. Definitely needs improvement in some areas.

2 - 90% of all designs. We'd never admit it openly but this is true for most people, if you look at scoring averages they tend to hover around 2. Mine is 2.25 currently. A 2 in my world means 'this is a design. There is nothing seriously wrong with it, but it's not doing it for me,'

1 - stolen, crappy, significantly poor in one or more areas (coloring, idea clarity, linework, concept strength, integration)

Thank you for the honesty! That's pretty much my scale too. I didn't know threadless would change colors but I guess that is apparent since they have the file when you get printed. As for space butt, totally 5 since it was so weird and crazy (in a good way) that it deserved it. And although I haven't been here long, foodstamp gets a little friend bump but shhhh, don't tell him lol

celandinestern

just do something that isn't bacon.

I've started to get tics when I come across pandas, bicycles, tigers and bacon.

Matias Corado

theillustratorman...I was looking at some subs to help you with your "background issue". I suggested in a post of your own: don't block yourself. Try a different approach to your background elements. Here I post some examples. Take a look at background treatment.

I think that the solution is simpler. Just play with different values (no more than 2 or 3 maximum) with same colour as background.

I really wish to be more clear...why don't you speak spanish!!! :P

Matias Corado
celandinestern said:

Maybe Kevin Bacon??? Just a stupid joke...

By the way, I have another WIP. Can I share it? I'm looking some title, have 2 conceptos around it.

celandinestern
Matias Corado said:

theillustratorman...I was looking at some subs to help you with your "background issue". I suggested in a post of your own: don't block yourself. Try a different approach to your background elements. Here I post some examples. Take a look at background treatment.

I think that the solution is simpler. Just play with different values (no more than 2 or 3 maximum) with same colour as background.

I really wish to be more clear...why don't you speak spanish!!! :P

brilliant advice.

sure, show us what you've got.

cf4our
celandinestern said:
cf4our said:

what the heck is it? :)

It starts out strong in the top part and then kinda disintegrates. So there is a guy being thrown by a blast and two running away from something and what is that white blob above the front guy? It looks like you got tired of coloring and stopped for a break :) Then the leg of the front guy makes the overall shape of your design way too long and downwards-stretching, and that logo at the bottom is illegible and unrecognizable to me so maybe I'm missing a great joke here. I actually like it in strong black and white, I don't think it necessarily needs any colors. What it does need is a tighter composition and some more idea clarity :)

It's Legend of the Hidden Temple! It was a aztec / Indiana Jones themed game show on Nickelodeon in the 90's. The blob was supposed to be fire, but I can definitely see what your'e saying. I'm going to trying filling it in and shortening the comp, and reposting.

celandinestern

the upper smoke/ explosion part looks good, but the fire is not recognizable as fire. Also are they wearing football helmets?

EverythingwasTaken
Matias Corado said:
celandinestern said:

By the way, I have another WIP. Can I share it? I'm looking some title, have 2 conceptos around it.

Actually, that's not an entirely bad idea... What if it was like a footloose themed shirt with bacon as the main character. There was a design a while back about the song that goes "Friday, I'm in love". I'm picturing the same sort of of deal with footloose lyrics. Like "I've been working so hard", "I'm punching my card", "Eight hours", "For what? Please tell me what I got", "I've got this feeling that life is holding me down", "I'll hit the ceiling", "Or else I'll tear up this town!"

Sorry, I don't know if responding to those idea would be outside the scope of this thread.

celandinestern
EverythingwasTaken said:
Matias Corado said:
celandinestern said:

Actually, that's not an entirely bad idea... What if it was like a footloose themed shirt with bacon as the main character. There was a design a while back about the song that goes "Friday, I'm in love". I'm picturing the same sort of of deal with footloose lyrics. Like "I've been working so hard", "I'm punching my card", "Eight hours", "For what? Please tell me what I got", "I've got this feeling that life is holding me down", "I'll hit the ceiling", "Or else I'll tear up this town!"

Sorry, I don't know if responding to those idea would be outside the scope of this thread.

I'll respond to whatever you put in here :) Except you're not gonna like it :) My honest advice would be to leave bacon alone. i think the kevin bacon footloose connection would be extremely difficult to get unless you managed superbly clean yet readable and nuanced artwork that would say all that in a bunch of simple images. Don't rely on title and text to tell your story - can you imagine someone getting all that from the pictures you're planning to draw? Particularly as I'm guessing most people just know the refrain of the song, and not the lyrics.

all that said, feel free to try it. Maybe you amaze us :) I think it's very important to listen to that little voice in your head that says 'do this, do this, it's gonna be cooool!' :)

Matias Corado

Well, i posted this a few days ago.

I have this old drawing hand made. I always like the idea of make a t-shirt with it (in fact, I have a bunch of sketches that I always conceived for t-shirts) I'm thinking to add some text with a nice typeface.

So, original concept was really simple: bearded dude with laces instead o hair. Similar approach but vectorized is here:

Then, I began to think about the idea of "keep growing". Something about keep on growing (as a person) mixed with the idea of keep growing your beard.

Now...I saw so much astronauts designs. So I asked to my self: what the fuck have this people with astronauts??? Yeah...they could be cool, but I like to be in the opossite (at least as a joke). So I'm thinking that bearded guys beats astronauts. Something like "Bearded guys are the new astronauts" or similar.

I like the idea of keep the illustration in just one plain color. What do you think? I also like the handmade look. Do I have to preserve it or will be better if I trace it in photoshop/illustrator?

Sorry for too many questions. Thanks a lot for your help!

celandinestern
Matias Corado said:

Well, i posted this a few days ago.

I have this old drawing hand made. I always like the idea of make a t-shirt with it (in fact, I have a bunch of sketches that I always conceived for t-shirts) I'm thinking to add some text with a nice typeface.

So, original concept was really simple: bearded dude with laces instead o hair. Similar approach but vectorized is here:

Then, I began to think about the idea of "keep growing". Something about keep on growing (as a person) mixed with the idea of keep growing your beard.

Now...I saw so much astronauts designs. So I asked to my self: what the fuck have this people with astronauts??? Yeah...they could be cool, but I like to be in the opossite (at least as a joke). So I'm thinking that bearded guys beats astronauts. Something like "Bearded guys are the new astronauts" or similar.

I like the idea of keep the illustration in just one plain color. What do you think? I also like the handmade look. Do I have to preserve it or will be better if I trace it in photoshop/illustrator?

Sorry for too many questions. Thanks a lot for your help!

I'm not mad about that sketch, but that vector one is amazing. I seriously like it. I'd lose all the text and just leave those hipster sunglasses, in those colors (the colors are really well picked) and the shoe lace beard. Call it just 'Keep on Growing'.

I'd forget about astronauts or any other additions. The concept is totally unclear but that's the point, that's what makes it cool really. Visually it looks great. I'm not saying it's gonna get a particularly amazing score, but I would really sub it as is.

KKimball318

Hi! I think you already commented on this but this thread is getting more attention than the one I made haha. I'd appreciate critiques of my WIP "Fruit Ninja". I like my concept but the execution isn't quite right. I've thought about it and included a rough and poorly photographed sketch of what I'm considering doing to liven up the design (before it would have just been the fruit in a corner of the t-shirt). However, I'd like to do an iphone case with just the apple.

P.S. The Japanese writing in the picture doesn't say anything and isn't even characters lol. I will write something better if I choose to keep the text.

celandinestern
KKimball318 said:

Hi! I think you already commented on this but this thread is getting more attention than the one I made haha. I'd appreciate critiques of my WIP "Fruit Ninja". I like my concept but the execution isn't quite right. I've thought about it and included a rough and poorly photographed sketch of what I'm considering doing to liven up the design (before it would have just been the fruit in a corner of the t-shirt). However, I'd like to do an iphone case with just the apple.

P.S. The Japanese writing in the picture doesn't say anything and isn't even characters lol. I will write something better if I choose to keep the text.

as I said before, I like your evil orange, I think he'd make a cool minimalist sub on his own. Your rough sketch is sketchy but adorable in terms of idea, try to put it together in a more complete form and come back again. Also I'm a Japanese major :) Just throwing that out there as a random point of curiosity.

celandinestern

Jay, why the hell can I not see your post in hereeee? I see it on your page, I see on the general blog page that you commented, but I don't see your post in here. Weirdness. Can you repost it?

Matias Corado

Thank you a lot! I will try adding some shadows between laces to see what it looks like.

ps: the spanish text in vectorized version says something like: "Christmas in our own way. Without snow, with sun and hot...too much hot." It's summer here for december. Bearded dude is suposed to be Santa.

vectored_life

celandinestern said: Also I'm a Japanese major :)

What's a trustable website to look at for japanese characters...just browsing, nothing important

celandinestern
Matias Corado said:

Thank you a lot! I will try adding some shadows between laces to see what it looks like.

ps: the spanish text in vectorized version says something like: "Christmas in our own way. Without snow, with sun and hot...too much hot." It's summer here for december. Bearded dude is suposed to be Santa.

he looks a lot like santa!!! that was my impression too. The text would be cool for a poster or something but will not work on a tee, just kick it off.

Matias Corado

*how it looks like. I hate not being able to edit comments!

celandinestern
theillustratorman said:

celandinestern said: Also I'm a Japanese major :)

What's a trustable website to look at for japanese characters...just browsing, nothing important

try here http://jisho.org/

Matias Corado

Yeah...that was a digital greeting card that I sent to client and friends about 2 years. Have no sense on a t-shirt. I wasn't thinking to do it.

celandinestern

this is becoming like a 'Dear Prudence' column :)

celandinestern
jaywalkergraphics said:

Huh. Me-no-know. Better now?

Jay, it's staring at me. Why is it staring at me?

Are they all eating each other? It looks very pretty. I love that background red that you use. Those black things look like creepy digital eyes, like it's a sentient sandwich robot thing that wants my soul. Other than that it looks great :) Also i'd rotate 'em 45 degrees.

celandinestern

alrighty I'm off to bed now, I've got an early morning flight. If the place has WiFi as advertised I'll be back tomorrow night :) You guys keep it running.

jaywalkergraphics
jaywalkergraphics profile pic Alumni

Haha! My wife said it seemed sentient, too. The black things are olives [on toothpicks], and I used them because I thought they gave a finished look. Will definitely go for a rotate on the plate, great idea to add interest.

You think I should go for a version with no olives? Or change the color to green? Or something else or what?

KKimball318
theillustratorman said:

I disagree, like this so much more without the background!!! Something's missing but it still looks great!

celandinestern
jaywalkergraphics said:

Haha! My wife said it seemed sentient, too. The black things are olives [on toothpicks], and I used them because I thought they gave a finished look. Will definitely go for a rotate on the plate, great idea to add interest.

You think I should go for a version with no olives? Or change the color to green? Or something else or what?

try them green. currently it wants my soul.

Dan Yingling
KKimball318 said:
theillustratorman said:

I disagree, like this so much more without the background!!! Something's missing but it still looks great!

Dang, I wish I had seen this sooner. Can't do Lego guys because of copyright issues.

TheInfamousBaka
TheInfamousBaka profile pic Alumni

I think changing the olives to green would work better than the black. The black olives draw your eye away from everything else and it's hard to unsee them.

Also, I see a swastika in the white between sandwiches, but maybe that's just me.

KKimball318
celandinestern said:
KKimball318 said:

as I said before, I like your evil orange, I think he'd make a cool minimalist sub on his own. Your rough sketch is sketchy but adorable in terms of idea, try to put it together in a more complete form and come back again. Also I'm a Japanese major :) Just throwing that out there as a random point of curiosity.

Alright, thanks :) I'll submit the orange by itself then work on the rest of the design. It's cool that you're a Japanese major though now that you've said that, I'll probably make you proofread the final design :p

jaywalkergraphics
jaywalkergraphics profile pic Alumni

Haha. FYI, for others reading, since Lidija should be allowed to sleep, the concept was Escher playing with his food, creating never-ending/impossible objects being his thing, kind of.

Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. 9
No account?
Join Us