Close
One second...

Good artists copy, great artists steal.

I just wanted to share some of my unprinted designs that "inspired" printed designs outside the Threadless community. I am putting the dates when I subbed them so that people will know who's design went up first. Two of those printed designs came from our very own Threadless alumni. At least they had the courtesy not so submit it in here (it would be too obvious), then again a little credit would be nice. Thanks for making money off my ideas fellas!

"Triangles Rock" March 12, 2012 (Redesigned with hands holding the triangle and beater)

"8 Deaths" May 31, 2012 (Alumni, redesigned and re-positioned the deaths with a yellowish background. Take note of the death by decapitation, electrocution and roadkill)

"Mountain Bear" June 07, 2013 (Alumni, redesigned with a deer instead of a bear with the same pose)

If you stumble upon those designs, now you know where they got their ideas from ;-)

Watch this
cmasse

Dude! This is gold! I'm totally going to steal your designs now. :)

Manupix

Names! Tar & Feathers!

Joe Conde
Joe Conde profile pic Alumni
cmasse said:

just send me a copy of the shirt and we're good ;-)

cmasse
Joe Conde said:
cmasse said:

Wait! you expect some kind of payment?!? That aint this works.

Joe Conde
cmasse said:
Joe Conde said:
cmasse said:

Wait! you expect some kind of payment?!? That aint this works.

ok, i'll settle for a sleeve. please?

cmasse

I'll send you the tags.

Thomas Orrow
Thomas Orrow profile pic Alumni

The top one could be chance, but the second two would be far less likely. I subbed a Son of Man design for The Simpsons and I saw a couple of those come up later, but they would have thought of that idea independently, as it's just a matter of combining popular icons.

The middle one would be easy to spot if it was copied as there are so many variations that it would be too much of a coincidence if they were all the same situations/images.

Joe Conde
Thomas Orrow said:

The top one could be chance, but the second two would be far less likely. I subbed a Son of Man design for The Simpsons and I saw a couple of those come up later, but they would have thought of that idea independently, as it's just a matter of combining popular icons.

The middle one would be easy to spot if it was copied as there are so many variations that it would be too much of a coincidence if they were all the same situations/images.

Thanks for the comment, yeah I agree that the top one could be coincidence. I myself am guilty of subbing a seemingly ripped-off design. After Googling the idea and couldn't find one like it I decided to submit it only to be informed by another designer that it was similar to his previous sub. I was surprised to see it was almost exactly the same except for the background color. We even had the same title! So I immediately asked it to be taken down and apologized.

With iconic subjects like Son of Man or a Mona Lisa it's understandable that they will inspire tons of designers who have their own interpretations of it, which is absolutely fine.

It's not easy to spot the ones ripping your ideas because they would not dare submit anything in the same community, a behavior that gives them away especially when they are known to be active designers in here. It's still all good, because I can sleep well at night knowing I haven't wronged others :-)

Joe Conde
coffeecontrolled said:

seph, i can't see the image? :( pabili ako shirts mo - erick taba

what images can't you see? sure bro! :-D

coffeecontrolled

LOL ...and 60% of my designs have been declined :(

Joe Conde said:

@coffeecontrolled ...27 designs up for scoring?!!! ya busy, busy fucker! hahaha

azrael5

yeah is shud be the clones posted here...was will be gooder to know it...sorry english i am is poor

celandinestern
celandinestern profile pic Alumni

That sucks, man. But yeah, sometimes it's so hard to be sure. I've had really uncommon subjects where it turned out someone else was doing virtually the same thing... It's a rotten feeling to be on either side of that equation. Sadly (or fortunately :) there is no copyright on concepts, so we each have to answer to our own conscience...

Joe Conde

sorry guys, as much as i want to post the clones i don't want to stir things up. at the end of the day no matter how much you change a design may it be from 25% to 80% if the core idea is not yours, then you can't still call it your own. it could also be unintentional because the time we spend checking out other designs, sometimes those elements come out in our own designs.

I'll just say i found those designs at lafraise, dbh and misterdressup. some are actually good if not better, but still. happy hunting ;-)

airdeh

Oh crap, I have never seen the above nor the 'copies' before but I have a pending You're Next sub that may be a tad similar in idea with your 2nd sub! Hope it's not too close, because the base idea is also different death scenarios. Don't hurt me! @__@

Joe Conde
airdeh said:

Oh crap, I have never seen the above nor the 'copies' before but I have a pending You're Next sub that may be a tad similar in idea with your 2nd sub! Hope it's not too close, because the base idea is also different death scenarios. Don't hurt me! @__@

you will be tarred and feathered for that!!!

hahaha just kidding, no worries. with the limited amount of image references and visuals from that challenge it's quite understandable that a lot of designs would be similar to each other or the materials available like the movie posters ;-)

No account?
Join Us