;;;::::ONWARD

Watch this
Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
hisartwork
hisartwork profile pic Alumni

Awesome design.

I kind of like as is, but the sun does kind of seem just placed there to fill the void. I also think there could be something at the top of the hill, maybe a destination like a pyramid, or ancient building.

wowrainbows
wowrainbows profile pic Alumni

I might hand draw the star so it's not so perfect, since everything else has varying weights 'n such. That's not a bad idea about the destination. hmmmm.

EZFL
EZFL profile pic Alumni

I think that's all it really needs. Strong piece, and I like the simplicity of it.

speedyjvw
speedyjvw profile pic Alumni

Really great, what did you do to get those halftones so clean like that?

wowrainbows

Oh gosh. I'm not sure exactly what I did, but It was a combination of some free cutline and stipple filters, and then I did each dot manually (because the filters were awful, but a great guideline) with a tablet. Lots of time spent!

macdoodle
macdoodle profile pic Alumni

Very cool stippling!!

speedyjvw
speedyjvw profile pic Alumni
wowrainbows said:

Oh gosh. I'm not sure exactly what I did, but It was a combination of some free cutline and stipple filters, and then I did each dot manually (because the filters were awful, but a great guideline) with a tablet. Lots of time spent!

ah nice, well worth it!

littlem

i agree with the hand-drawing of the star. i love the face/desert

also, the star is cool. have you thought of doing some sort of pattern using only the star for another design? :D

Christina.A.art

Very unique i like how you started to drip the sand down the face maybe more of that and a different sun :) Very creative!

wowrainbows
littlem said:

also, the star is cool. have you thought of doing some sort of pattern using only the star for another design? :D

Minimalism contest maybe?

netsu

I really like it!

Loek Vugs
wowrainbows said:
littlem said:

Minimalism contest maybe?

No submit it to the regular challenge. Nice design. I don't think this needs more work..

Tonteau
Tonteau profile pic Alumni

Don't do the drip. At least don't do it there. It just looks a bit eugh.

wowrainbows
Tonteau said:

Don't do the drip. At least don't do it there. It just looks a bit eugh.

As of now it seems to take away from it all, but we'll see how it goes in the end.

blackhand_
blackhand_ profile pic Alumni

Maybe roughen up the edge between the face and the desert. I think I'd prefer a sun with concentric waves radiating out. And palm trees? Something more to break up the horizon and the smooth swath of desert. Pretty amazing so far.

littlem

you could make the 'star' in the shape and location of where the eye would be... just a thought

TheInfamousBaka
TheInfamousBaka profile pic Alumni

This is really awesome, can't wait to $5 it!

taz-pie

Oh haiiiii ^

Morkki
Morkki profile pic Alumni
wowrainbows said:

I still can't believe you did all that. How did you not go mad with all that stippling? Or did you?

cmasse

Beautiful!

frauleinkatrina
frauleinkatrina profile pic Alumni

I agree that I like it as is for regular threadless.

parallelish
parallelish profile pic Alumni

i like eric's idea of having some sand falling, and maybe make the sun look like an eye with the stippling and placed where her eye would be

this is awesome dude, best of luck 8)

wowrainbows

So... placing the star/sun where her eye should be makes the shading of the desert look way off, unfortunately. Fixing the shadows is overrated. Ain't nobody got time 'fo that.

littlem
wowrainbows said:

So... placing the star/sun where her eye should be makes the shading of the desert look way off, unfortunately. Fixing the shadows is overrated. Ain't nobody got time 'fo that.

not if she's a cyclops, dagnabbit!! lol :P

wowrainbows

I redid the star/sun thing with hand drawn dots, which don't make a difference at this size, but at full size it feels much, much better.

How do people feel 'bout the sand falling? Too much? Too obvious?

Abstract Matter

I don't see how the sun fits with the rest of the comp, that perfect circle just doesn't look good to my eye. I think with the low key nature of the imagery, a crescent moon would look better and allow you to add that stippling detail as with the face? Just throwing my idea in :P

Matias Corado

I think that your first version without the sun/star is ok. I like the face in that version.

You can remove the sun and maybe add some sky (maybe a sunset?)

speakerine
speakerine profile pic Alumni

I love it ! You should really redraw the stars thay are too perfect, and the center near the "sun" has bad dot variations. Did you tried on other colors?

celandinestern
celandinestern profile pic Alumni

it's bothering me how the sun/ star is totally flat and one-dimensional and the face has such depth.

hisartwork
hisartwork profile pic Alumni
celandinestern said:

it's bothering me how the sun/ star is totally flat and one-dimensional and the face has such depth.

Yeah this. Its still looks out of place.

Manupix

What bothers me most is the distracting realism / amount of detail in the face. Not sure either how I'd fix that: radical contrast change (one way or the other), detail cleaning, texturing? Anyway since you've already painstakingly halftoned it, you're probably not going to go back this far now.

wowrainbows
celandinestern said:

I understand where you're coming from, but I don't know what else to do. My intentions were to make the star be very different from the landscape, and stand out sort of like the "Star in the East" for the three wise men in the bible.

I'll probably go even more hand drawn like speakerine said.

wowrainbows
speakerine said:

I love it ! You should really redraw the stars thay are too perfect, and the center near the "sun" has bad dot variations. Did you tried on other colors?

I'm gonna try it! Even more uneven is the way to go. The dot variations are intentional, do you think it looks bad enough to change? I wanted it to feel a little "trippy." And yeah, I've tried every color, but red seems to work the best for what vibe I'm goin' for.

ivanrodero
ivanrodero profile pic Alumni

Maybe the centre of the star is to rough, if you fade it a little with dots it could work.

Who I am kidding I like it as it is too.

Awesome work man.

Wolfgang8885

I agree with what was said about the sun. It needs to look different as the look it currently has doesn't go well with the depth in the face. Maybe if the sun had lines instead of dots? Not sure there. This has great creativity!

speakerine
speakerine profile pic Alumni

so, I think you need to rework the sun + stars background . but the face and the sand are beautiful ..

wowrainbows

I'm still loving the stark white circle, and am definitely going to keep it. It's intentionally different from the face. I want it to feel almost religious in a way, but also very graphic and as simple as possible. What's more simple than a circle?

flwrs

Perfect as is. Sub it!

blackhand_
blackhand_ profile pic Alumni

Nice revisions. Subtle, but they make a big difference. The smaller dot size on the rays and the finer pattern detail make the contrast with the face less jarring.

Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
No account?
Join Us