Close
One second...

Artist Resource Blog

I figured there should be a blog where we all pull together our knowledge of things and share our tools and cool tricks and stuff. if anyone wants to know how a blogger does their stuff, they can ask here. was that blog already made? where was it when I needed it most? CRIES IN SHOWER*

sorry about that! anywho, about those resources. I'll start out by asking if anyone has used any of Kyle Webster's Ultimate Sets. I've been thinking of getting the drawing one, since it better suits what I do, but I wanna play around with the other stuff to broaden my horizons and things. Also, Frenden has a pencil set that looks real good. anyone try that out yet?

aside from that, what do you guys use? if I'm doing digital I usually just use a stumpy pencil as a pencil tool so I get 100% black. non-digital I use nibs and I'm getting around to learning the brush.

Watch this
kuro_te

I bought Ray Frenden's Pencils & Inks and Real Pencil sets. I use the pencil tools a lot, but haven't really explored the pens. I use Micron pens to ink in real-life, so I'm not used to the line variation you'd get with a pen or brush. I normally use the stock CS hard round brush to ink.

The Chris Wahl brush mega pack and NKS5 extension set for Adobe CS also have some really great texture brushes that I've been using extensively. Both of those are free.

My latest Simpsons design was done exclusively with the Frenden pencil tools, Wahl brushes, and NKS5 textures.

Goldendust

I bought frenden's brush set and one of kyle's brush packs (not the drawing one) and they are both very good. I used frenden's brushes on my comic page :)

I definitely think frenden's brushes are a must buy, and the assorted brushes in kyle's packs are lots of fun - his smooth inker is indeed very smooth. Some of the more experimental brushes feel a little gimmicky but they're still functional.

I think I need to get a new tablet. I've had my current Wacom graphire 4 since 2007 and the surface is getting scratched and the pen is shot. I've been watching frenden's tablet reviews and am considering getting a cheapish one based on how well they seem to perform compared to Wacom. Is anyone else using an off brand tablet?

cmasse

Any of those brush sets available for CS4?

kuro_te
heykimby said:

I bought frenden's brush set and one of kyle's brush packs (not the drawing one) and they are both very good. I used frenden's brushes on my comic page :)

I definitely think frenden's brushes are a must buy, and the assorted brushes in kyle's packs are lots of fun - his smooth inker is indeed very smooth. Some of the more experimental brushes feel a little gimmicky but they're still functional.

I think I need to get a new tablet. I've had my current Wacom graphire 4 since 2007 and the surface is getting scratched and the pen is shot. I've been watching frenden's tablet reviews and am considering getting a cheapish one based on how well they seem to perform compared to Wacom. Is anyone else using an off brand tablet?

Kimby, I bought the Yiynova MSP19U based on Ray Frenden's review. And I've bought the Monoprice tablet for a friend. Both are excellent performers for the money. If you want something cheap to replace your Graphire, go for the Monoprice.

El-Be

I've got the monoprice, it's my first tablet so I've got nothing to compare it to, but no complaints at all.

No account?