Close
One second...

Rejected Design. Help?

Hello, my design was recently rejected from threadless and the e-mail suggested that I go on the forums for feedback. Please help :)

Watch this
CreativeCowgirl220

This is a solid concept, however it would take a quick look at it dynamically and see if there is anything missing to the eye. Some aspects are a little jarring when you first view this, for example Alice's face could use a little more revising, and it almost looks as if she is holding on to the cat's head like he's being decapitated. just small things can throw you're idea off just keep looking at it from time to time making little tweeks here and there. and finally you'll get so sick of it that you'll decide that there is nothing else i can do so here we go lets submit. in all i love this design. good luck :)

rickyarianto

well as im also new to threadless and looking for what kind of design will be accepted by threadless as well... i think the only thing i can help is give you this link

take a look at that link and try to see what kind of design they want Good luck!

Abstract Matter

I'm not seeing what makes this a solid concept... it's Alice from Alice in Wonderland... standing there... with other characters from Alice in Wonderland...

Abstract Matter

If you people want to see what gets printed by Threadless, look at what actually gets printed by Threadless. threadless.com/all also has every printed design. Ever.

lAmayal
Abstract Matter said:

I'm not seeing what makes this a solid concept... it's Alice from Alice in Wonderland... standing there... with other characters from Alice in Wonderland...

My idea was for it to be simple, cute and maybe slightly creepy. I've seen rather simple and cute designs make it so I thought this would work. I came to the forums for feedback since that's what I was suggested to do. It's quite difficult to find out what exactly I need to do because the concepts that are printed vary a lot and so do the opinions of those around. Take for example your opinion vs CreativeCowgirl220's opinion. They're as different as night and day, but still both useful in their own way. Thank you for your input :)

lAmayal
CreativeCowgirl220 said:

This is a solid concept, however it would take a quick look at it dynamically and see if there is anything missing to the eye. Some aspects are a little jarring when you first view this, for example Alice's face could use a little more revising, and it almost looks as if she is holding on to the cat's head like he's being decapitated. just small things can throw you're idea off just keep looking at it from time to time making little tweeks here and there. and finally you'll get so sick of it that you'll decide that there is nothing else i can do so here we go lets submit. in all i love this design. good luck :)

Thank you very much for the constructive criticism. I'm glad you like the concept. If you have any other ideas, feel free to share them with me :)

lAmayal
rickyarianto said:

well as im also new to threadless and looking for what kind of design will be accepted by threadless as well... i think the only thing i can help is give you this link

take a look at that link and try to see what kind of design they want Good luck!

Thanks for the help! Good luck with your designs :)

lAmayal

I also feel like I should maybe specify, my design wasn't turned down for getting printed, it was rejected for submission.

taz-pie

the colour balance is off (the decapitated cat is too dominant), she looks like she has 3 very saggy boobs, her eyes are creepy and vacant (not in a good way), the line work is unbalanced, and there is no concept.

jaywalkergraphics
jaywalkergraphics profile pic Alumni
lAmayal said:

I also feel like I should maybe specify, my design wasn't turned down for getting printed, it was rejected for submission.

Yes, that's normally why these blogs are made. Bytheway, Threadless doesn't "turn down" designs for printing. They just never say anything, and you shrink into obscurity. Haha.

But on a more helpful note—and if you hang around, you will probably find yourself saying this to someone, too—Threadless is not just a company that prints t-shirts. It is a competition that produces some of the best t-shirts in the world, and we are all in competition with some world-class artists.

Things that drastically improve a Threadless design: A. Not being just a thing on a shirt; 2. A novel concept, a FUNNY joke, or an exceptionally beautiful execution.

As of now, I feel like your design is nicely put together, but not super visually striking, and it feels like it is just staring at me. There's no context, there's no background, there no joke, there's no . . . stuff, you know? Very few designs can get by without a background of some kind, and those are usually funny. So, I would maybe have a look at what you could add to build more of a world around your character and make her look more at home on the shirt. Good luck!

Morkki
Morkki profile pic Alumni
taz-pie said:

she looks like she has 3 very saggy boobs

I was just about to say that. Good thing it's just no me seeing droopy boobs.

morerebe

if you simply want to improve the visual, but not the concept i would have to say that you need more consistency in line weight of the black outlines or find a way to lose them all together.

lAmayal
jaywalkergraphics said:
lAmayal said:

Yes, that's normally why these blogs are made. Bytheway, Threadless doesn't "turn down" designs for printing. They just never say anything, and you shrink into obscurity. Haha.

But on a more helpful note—and if you hang around, you will probably find yourself saying this to someone, too—Threadless is not just a company that prints t-shirts. It is a competition that produces some of the best t-shirts in the world, and we are all in competition with some world-class artists.

Things that drastically improve a Threadless design: A. Not being just a thing on a shirt; 2. A novel concept, a FUNNY joke, or an exceptionally beautiful execution.

As of now, I feel like your design is nicely put together, but not super visually striking, and it feels like it is just staring at me. There's no context, there's no background, there no joke, there's no . . . stuff, you know? Very few designs can get by without a background of some kind, and those are usually funny. So, I would maybe have a look at what you could add to build more of a world around your character and make her look more at home on the shirt. Good luck!

Thank you! That's very useful!

lAmayal
morerebe said:

if you simply want to improve the visual, but not the concept i would have to say that you need more consistency in line weight of the black outlines or find a way to lose them all together.

Oh ok thanks!

lAmayal
Morkki said:
taz-pie said:

she looks like she has 3 very saggy boobs

I was just about to say that. Good thing it's just no me seeing droopy boobs.

I honestly never noticed until some friends pointed it out to me afterwards -.-'' it's that kind of thing...

lAmayal
taz-pie said:

the colour balance is off (the decapitated cat is too dominant), she looks like she has 3 very saggy boobs, her eyes are creepy and vacant (not in a good way), the line work is unbalanced, and there is no concept.

yeah... the only thing that was intentional was the creepy vacant eyes...

No account?
Join Us