One second...

SINPSON - DECLINED?? - Shepard Fairey????? HAHAHAHAHAH

Another entry...collab with GUTO_SZA

Watch this
Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
azrael5

this is one of the most varied design ive seen in the challenge...love it totally!....I like the feeling after reading it.. criminalistic

opippi
opippi profile pic Alumni
azrael5 said:

this is one of the most varied design ive seen in the challenge...love it totally!....I like the feeling after reading it.. criminalistic

Thx bro...we hope it doesn't get declined heheheh

endoxo

Are you crazy

endoxo

How do you come out

endoxo

With this idea to connect these two things together:) I think it is outstanding and very brutal

opippi
endoxo said:

With this idea to connect these two things together:) I think it is outstanding and very brutal

It's a tribute/mashup to the MASTER of cotrast "Frank Miller" in Sin City

endoxo

I know , sin city, I'm a fan too.

It's good to see these two style merged.

blackhand_
blackhand_ profile pic Alumni

What happened to Frank Miller, anyway?

macdoodle
macdoodle profile pic Alumni

Very cool! I love the mood of it.

opippi

OHHHHHH SH....T....DECLINED... Take a look why...Is this a JOKE?????

Hi there luis pippi,

Unfortunately, your submission "SINPSON" was declined.

Here's why:

sorry, similar to shepard fairey art, we cannot use artwork based on another artists signature pieces in this manner for sale on merchandise.

We hate declining submissions! We hope you take these decline reasons to heart, use them to rework your submission, and resubmit. We're looking forward to seeing your new and improved design!

Best wishes, The Threadless Community Team

shepard fairey????? Ohhh man...this is ridiculous

FoodStampDavis
FoodStampDavis profile pic Alumni

I think they either mean: 1) The can't sell stuff people submit that is too similar to Shepard Fairy signature stuff (Obey, Hope, whatever) and are just providing a similar example. OR 2) Shepard Fairy rips people off. haha.

I hate Shepard Fairy. The end.

moosabman
moosabman profile pic Alumni

Oh man...I mean...seriously?

opippi

Dudes, I know sheppard's work pretty well and I'm a huge fan of his work but this is not even CLOSE to his art. This is based on FRANK MILLER"s ...Come on...

FoodStampDavis

Right, I don't think they are saying this is based on Shepard Fairey. They are saying they have ALSO received a lot of submission that are parody of Fairey's "work" and have to dismiss those on the same grounds they dismissed this one. Get it?

FoodStampDavis

But, really, fuck Fairey. I don't get the hype around that theif. He flat out copies images of other artists, changes almost nothing, and makes giant money off it. If he were a nobody and tried doing the exact same stuff here as a t-shirt, everybody would be screaming for his head, ha. What's better is he has sued tons of people for then making parodies of HIS stuff (mostly the Obama HOPE poster.) Thief. Boring. Hypocrite.

Milton Glaser on Fairey

Other thieveries

It's a fine line to walk, as Glaser points out in his article above, but I think Fairey crosses it just about every time.

opippi
foodstampdavis said:

But, really, fuck Fairey. I don't get the hype around that theif. He flat out copies images of other artists, changes almost nothing, and makes giant money off it. If he were a nobody and tried doing the exact same stuff here as a t-shirt, everybody would be screaming for his head, ha. What's better is he has sued tons of people for then making parodies of HIS stuff (mostly the Obama HOPE poster.) Thief. Boring. Hypocrite.

Milton Glaser on Fairey

Other thieveries

It's a fine line to walk, as Glaser points out in his article above, but I think Fairey crosses it just about every time.

I know...great one... THIS IS R I D I C U L O U S!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GyleDesigns
GyleDesigns profile pic Alumni

Now that I reread the email, I do think that they're just saying "in the same way that Shepard Fairey's pieces are similar to other people's work, we can't accept artwork that is too similar to other artists' signature pieces."

Still a bummer. It was a sick piece. Hoping it can find a happy home soon.

Musarter
Musarter profile pic Alumni

Do something in the style of is not doing something like Shepard Fairey. Fairey takes someone elses art, copies it, colors it differently, adds words, and calls it his own. Maybe they did not like that it is in Miller's style. But calling your art similar to Shepard Fairey's is pretty lame.

opippi
GyleDesigns said:

Now that I reread the email, I do think that they're just saying "in the same way that Shepard Fairey's pieces are similar to other people's work, we can't accept artwork that is too similar to other artists' signature pieces."

Still a bummer. It was a sick piece. Hoping it can find a happy home soon.

I don't want to point fingers...I just want to our design to have a chance and besides there are a lot of Simpsons subs that just uses another artist's style. Anyone from the Staff please??

opippi
jodabaum said:

Yea this does not say Shepard fairy to me at all.

ALSO

THIS

printed by threadless.

Ohhhh yeahhhh... Dude, I was trying to find this design to prove that our design still can be on... This is SIN CITYYYYY

Dan Yingling

They must have meant Frank Miller. They also have different rules than us regarding parody.

hisartwork
hisartwork profile pic Alumni
Dan Yingling said:

They also have different rules than us regarding parody.

That makes sense, and sucks unfortunately.

hisartwork
hisartwork profile pic Alumni

Since this is Sponsored by the Simpsons, the network/show owners have to pre approve all designs. Thats how all the sponsored challenges work, like disney, marvel etc. The sponsors get to approve designs

Dan Yingling
opippi said:
Dan Yingling said:

They must have meant Frank Miller. They also have different rules than us regarding parody.

They who?

Fox reviewed all submissions for this challenge before we did our review process.

opippi
Dan Yingling said:
opippi said:
Dan Yingling said:

They who?

Fox reviewed all submissions for this challenge before we did our review process.

hummm ok then designs inspired by Ed Roth's (for example) shouldn't be running too, right?

ValentinezAlkalinellaXifax_AKA_Vash
opippi said:

hummm ok then designs inspired by Ed Roth's (for example) shouldn't be running too, right?

Hey, it's not up to the staff. Fox made an arbitrary decision, and you got the worst of it. :\

opippi
ValentinezAlkalinellaXifax_AKA_Vash said:
opippi said:

Hey, it's not up to the staff. Fox made an arbitrary decision, and you got the worst of it. :\

I didn't know it wasn't for them...but the answer came from their system...

ValentinezAlkalinellaXifax_AKA_Vash
opippi said:
opippi said:

That still doesn't make it their fault. It's not like they can change this decision.

opippi
opippi said:
opippi said:

That still doesn't make it their fault. It's not like they can change this decision.

I know...still it's a bit contradictory these "rules"...

rocquenrol

is it Parody, similarity or what?

opippi
rocquenrol said:

is it Parody, similarity or what?

hahahaha Thx for the research bro...Some of them are parodies like mine I guess. Now I see why our design was declined, cause when a I sended I wrote clarily: This is a tribute mashup to the ninja master of contrast "Frank Miller" ...

I guess I shouldn't have written anything cause maybe the person responsible would not have noticed...

opippi

Who’s in the charge? I think it should be at least someone that knows “ART” or knows what’s going on around the world, right? Someone who knows the parodies that artists have been doing about the show.

@ GyleDesigns commented: I think they spelled "Frank Miller" wrong. Yeah, for me it sounded like spelled gun’s and roses instead of ACDC but... I mean, I don’t get it… One of the best show challenge rolling in here and most of the subs (95%) are scenes taken from the show exactly the same with nothing much but they’re running.

Is this original? It’s also a parody and someone already did it in a different way, so?

What's the big problem here? You can’t use the "style" of some other artist or another corporation? That’s why I am questioning the staff involved in this challenge approvals.

Also, The show has done in his 25 years many parodies. It's funny to go through such a situation. The show can make parodies about real things (it’s funny) but I can’t about an artist that I’m a big fan? This just doesn’t make sense at all to me WE worked our asses off for almost 2 days to come up with something funny and different to read a wrong excuse. What do you think?

Sorry about my english...sometimes it's hard to explain my point of view

Manupix

The only sensible course of action is to not take part in those sponsored challenges. Because spec work sucks and shouldn't be accepted; because the rules are custom-tweaked by the sponsor out of TLess reach; because they discourage creativity.

Just look at the sheer number of why-was-my-sub-declined blogs about these comps. What's the point?

Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
No account?
Join Us