Close
One second...

Another contest sub declined.

I seem to be a master at discovering hidden rules with these stupid contests.

This was my entry to the Simpsons comp but got declined because, according to FOX, they too closely resembles Disney IP's. That's bull. This 30's style was used by all different studios back then- Disney doesn't own this style, or have any characters that look like this. Sure, Mickey is a mouse, but that's the only physical similarity. Heck, they even did their own vintage version of Itchy and Scratchy, where Itchy wears a pair of Mickey Mouse pants. (I get that merch is different from the show though).

I think i'm out on these comps now. Sick of being declined.

Watch this
littlem

i'd wear it

littlem

that sucks, though!

BeanePod
BeanePod profile pic Alumni

damn, that's too bad cause that's awesome. i pretty much stay away from all of those sponsored challenges cause i know my weirdo stuff would never make it in :)

FoodStampDavis
FoodStampDavis profile pic Alumni

What's extra fucked up is Itchy and Scratchy have appeared in this style on the actual Simpson's show a few times (as I'm sure you know.)

This is great, by the way. It sucks this one has been so restrictive, it starts defeating the purpose of these properties going to Threadless in the first place. What could be a source of interesting and different designs gets squashed when they tend to just want the same cookie-cutter stuff they already offer. Then it just becomes a place for giant companies to get cheap spec work.

speakerine
speakerine profile pic Alumni

keep it for the next mickey contest.. just joking

speakerine
speakerine profile pic Alumni

I love this design b t w

goliath72
goliath72 profile pic Alumni
1 design submitted -

I'd wear it too

WanderingBert
WanderingBert profile pic Alumni

To be fair, I've thought this Simpsons contest has allowed for a lot more creativity than most of the contests, which is why I avoid most of these contests as well.

Also thanks guys! Might try this out at Tee Fury or similar sites.

celandinestern
celandinestern profile pic Alumni
foodstampdavis said:What could be a source of interesting and different designs gets squashed when they tend to just want the same cookie-cutter stuff they already offer. Then it just becomes a place for giant companies to get cheap spec work.

THIS THIS THIS A THOUSAND TIMES THIS.

Really a shame, that piece is amazing and really well done and it could have done very well in voting. Bummer.

celandinestern

also for the record I think that's exactly what the companies are doing - getting cheap spec work. They don't give a rat's ass about creativity or the Threadless culture or whatever.

alexmdc
alexmdc profile pic Staff

yeah that's weird, maybe changing the ears a bit? or did they say the whole style of it?

FoodStampDavis
celandinestern said:

also for the record I think that's exactly what the companies are doing - getting cheap spec work. They don't give a rat's ass about creativity or the Threadless culture or whatever.

CAPITALIST SWINE!

jeffreyg
jeffreyg profile pic Staff

yeah :[ it's tough declining stuff like this

celandinestern
foodstampdavis said:
celandinestern said:

CAPITALIST SWINE!

lulz :))))) I realize I sound very ranty, but srsly. I bet if we could listen in on some of the meetings that go on in house before they come to meet with the Threadpeeps we'd be pretty aghast.

v.calahan
v.calahan profile pic Alumni

Sucks! Looked like a winner for me and would def. wear it! Sub it in the regular challenge, it would have big printing chances!?

WanderingBert
alexmdc said:

yeah that's weird, maybe changing the ears a bit? or did they say the whole style of it?

Sounds like it was the style they didn't like, as they asked for "the more updated Itchy & Scratchy characters"

WanderingBert

I love Threadless, it's been good to me over the years, but I really wish these contests weren't the big main thing about the site now. To me, in general, these corporate controlled contests have ruined both the submitting and scoring experiences here.

When I do score I always filter just the general threadless contest, as I get sick of seeing the same thing over and over again for the contests. When I decide to submit, I have had more declined than accepted, and usually due to some hidden rule that was never mentioned.

That's all the rant i'll have. I don't like being the complainy guy, but i'll just get this vented and be done with it :)

macdoodle
macdoodle profile pic Alumni
1 design submitted -

Any way to rework it to submit in the regular challenge? It's a great piece. Good luck with whatever you choose to do with it.

celandinestern

I have to admit I like challenges as a concept - being given a theme sometimes can be inspiring, provided that the challenge isn't riddled with weird rules. So, say, the minimalism challenge, or the pattern challenge, or the smaller company challenges - or the more and more frequent music challenges, which I personally can't get the hang of but I do appreciate they give a unique sort of freedom and opportunity for people who are good at that sort of thing.

But the big corporate ones really do suck ass. The rules are way too strangulatory, they invite a flood of weirdos and downvoters and haters and rabid fans, they breed derivative, repetitive and just plain out bad work and they are a nuisance. On the other hand, you can always sorta work around them. That's been my general approach. I don't try for them because I know in advance I haven't got what Marvel wants. But hey I'm ok with not being the Marvel Girl :) Some people are good at that kind of thing and it's for them I guess.

celandinestern

I'm waiting for the Dr. Who challenge and then the internet will implode.

WanderingBert

Totally agree with your contest opinions

Montro
Montro profile pic Alumni
celandinestern said:

I have to admit I like challenges as a concept - being given a theme sometimes can be inspiring, provided that the challenge isn't riddled with weird rules. So, say, the minimalism challenge, or the pattern challenge, or the smaller company challenges - or the more and more frequent music challenges, which I personally can't get the hang of but I do appreciate they give a unique sort of freedom and opportunity for people who are good at that sort of thing.

But the big corporate ones really do suck ass. The rules are way too strangulatory, they invite a flood of weirdos and downvoters and haters and rabid fans, they breed derivative, repetitive and just plain out bad work and they are a nuisance. On the other hand, you can always sorta work around them. That's been my general approach. I don't try for them because I know in advance I haven't got what Marvel wants. But hey I'm ok with not being the Marvel Girl :) Some people are good at that kind of thing and it's for them I guess.

This. is. truth.

Sarcasticatbest

Stop making cool things that get declined, you're just teasing us. Next time do a pink donut and then we don't have to care.

FoodStampDavis
Montro said:
celandinestern said:

This. is. truth.

Word to all that.

However, I'm sure the money that comes in from those big property challenges is at least in part what allows Threadless to take a few risks on some of the smaller-run, more interesting prints/challenges. It's the equivalent of a filmmaker doing his big-budget action flick for the studio so he can afford to do the little weirdo indie flick he really loves. So, I don't see it going away. These huge properties are a necessary evil by this point.

moosabman
moosabman profile pic Alumni
foodstampdavis said:<bloc <p="">However, I'm sure the money that comes in from those big property challenges is at least in part what allows Threadless to take a few risks on some of the smaller-run, more interesting prints/challenges. It's the equivalent of a filmmaker doing his big-budget action flick for the studio so he can afford to do the little weirdo indie flick he really loves. So, I don't see it going away. These huge properties are a necessary evil by this point.

Nah this place was built on the "indie flick he really loves" I mean 3rd party comps surely brings in revenue, but threadless by no means rely's on 3rd party contests. I think they started it as a way to grow the company and thought it would bring some really exciting big names for the community to get a chance to have a piece of, but in practice it is just way too constricting and is essentially spec work. Pretty much agree with everything Lidija is saying.

tronbeardsley
tronbeardsley profile pic Alumni

Sorry to hear man, solid work here. Like foodstampjohnson said, I also remember seeing them in this style at some point in the show.

blackhand_
blackhand_ profile pic Alumni

Find visual evidence from the show and submit an appeal. You can make a strong case for this design, but if Fox rejected it once, it probably won't be selected for print...which is a shame.

I wish Matt Groening or the writers were the judges because they're actually intelligent, funny people.

thompson98
kuro_te said:

Find visual evidence from the show and submit an appeal. You can make a strong case for this design, but if Fox rejected it once, it probably won't be selected for print...which is a shame.

I wish Matt Groening or the writers were the judges because they're actually intelligent, funny people.

agreed. there are so many crap designs in this challenge (way too many with donuts) and this would have to be the best design ive seen so far. absolute joke

ourgraphicfaith

I think a little bit of change to the ears and maybe add a little color to the blood...that would make it Ok to bypass stupid declined rules...this looks fantastic and if approved will be a great contender in the contest!

Matias Corado

Dude, shit happens. I think this is one of the best designs in The Simpsons challenge. I took a look at your profile. You have been printed 18 times!!! From my point of view...that's absolutely amazing! Don't give up, continue doing your work and don't care about contests.

mohacsy

regardless of the contest i LOVE it bert, great art:)))

taz-pie
celandinestern said:

I WILL FUCK SHIT UP IF THIS HAPPENS. I FUCKING HATE DR WHO AND ALL THE FUCKTARD FANS

celandinestern
taz-pie said:
celandinestern said:

I WILL FUCK SHIT UP IF THIS HAPPENS. I FUCKING HATE DR WHO AND ALL THE FUCKTARD FANS

I have only watched tiny snippets of the show and I don't really have a beef with it directly, because - well, crap hokey tv shows are a dime a dozen, why should I care. But the fans! Oh my god the fans.

celandinestern
Sarcasticatbest said:

Stop making cool things that get declined, you're just teasing us. Next time do a pink donut and then we don't have to care.

that would go through no problem.

briancook
briancook profile pic Alumni

That really sucks, man. Especially when it is made for such a specific comp and you can't really sub it anywhere else or print it on your own :(

I totally agree about the style. All cartoons from that era used it. UB Iwerks (who was originally partners with Disney) started his own company and all his cartoons looked like that (especially since he did all the early Disney shorts).

UBER lame!

soloyo
soloyo profile pic Alumni

You shuld make the necessary changes tot his sub in order to get it accepted. This is too awesome not to sub it.

Musarter
Musarter profile pic Alumni
Montro said:
celandinestern said:

This. is. truth.

Double word.

I am sorry this happened to you. It really sucks.

I did a Thor design that was in the "Correct Style" but was out of character because he was holding a guitar. If you do anything "different" for these big corporate Challenges you will be rejected most of the time. In your specific case it is super irritating because the actual show has used that style a number of times.

There's my rant.

skaw
skaw profile pic Staff

It seems like most of the declining issues occur with mashups. This feels like a mashup of Itchy & Scratchy with Steamboat Willie. You can definitely do weird/unique things with the property, it doesn't have to be just pure, straight Simpsons art. Looking at the top scoring designs right now, there is plenty of that.

But it's pretty fragile when you are mashing up with another property's IP.

skaw
skaw profile pic Staff

Amazing design btw... I'm not FOX so I'm not sure exactly what they would do, but I think if you color it rather than B&W, that might go a long way? Before you start let Dan know and maybe there's a way he can reach out to them and get more detailed feedback for you to alter the design.

Ryder
Ryder profile pic Alumni

awesome design! i don't think it needs the text at all...

bummer it wasn't accepted though

karaed
karaed profile pic Staff

It really sucks when we have to decline stuff like this. For every one of these challenges, we try as hard as we can to push the line as far to our side as possible. Sometimes it works, sometimes not so much. Marvel is obviously super restrictive, but Nickelodeon loves pretty much everything and is super supportive of creativity (and gives amazing prizing too). Sometimes it takes a long time for traditional companies to get what we do. We're kind of weird. And hopefully we can convince other companies to get a little weird too.

karaed
karaed profile pic Staff

Also, I reached out to Fox to ask for more specific feedback on what changes would allow them to accept this, so hopefully something can come out of that.

blackhand_
blackhand_ profile pic Alumni

Quiet, guys! It's the boss!

celandinestern

wait guys, correct me if I'm wrong but isn't this one (up for scoring now) pretty much the same thing? Why one ok and other not?

Also Threadstaff peeps, you're awful nice to jump in here and to fight for our creative rights, which we know you do. My personal angerrrr is directed exclusively towards what from this angle feels like pretty insensitive corporate 'art' people. You guys rock, as always.

WanderingBert

Oh man, hadn't realised this had kept going. Thanks for the support on this one. Unfortunately probably won' have the time to make many changes to this but might try a few quick ones and see what happens.

FRICKINAWESOME
FRICKINAWESOME profile pic Alumni

This design is awesome and the reason it was declined is Grade A horseshit.

I've come to say what I've needed to...

FRICKINAWESOME
FRICKINAWESOME profile pic Alumni

Also, um, so yours was rejected, one of mine was rejected, but THIS wasn't rejected for copyright concerns? How is this ANY different from myself and Papaprime referencing Jurassic Park but every single thing in the design was drawn from scratch????

http://www.threadless.com/thesimpsons/good-travel/

Manupix
karaed said:

We're kind of weird.

Not enough!

No account?