Tiger Sharks up for scoring, plus two in You're Next challenge :D

Watch this
Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
IzzyAminov

I would assume if you're emphasizing another specific copyright element, they would have a problem with it. I don't know the reference, but you would want to appeal to as big of a group as you can so you might want to go in a different direction anyway. You could make the scene more vague so people don't automatically connect to something else.

I don't know Goodfellas so I wouldn't know which characters are best to use.

Pyne
Pyne profile pic Alumni

Update bump- while I'm at it, here's an unfinished something from my abandoned select pattern- I kinda dig it and was thinking about finishing it for a hoodie- worth it?
Tril-o-bite!

Pyne
Pyne profile pic Alumni

Glad you guys like the sheep. I had a really mean goat growing up- I might be working through some stuff...

I was planning on submitting the sheep (Slaughter Lamb?), to the You're Next challenge- I was gonna have wearing a flipped-up wolf mask. Now I'm not so sure. Either way, turns out I really like drawing sheep.

While I'm calling this thing "slaughter lamb," the sheep's actual name is Murder Face. :)

thepapercut

trilobite pattern looks really cool man.

Pyne
Pyne profile pic Alumni

Yeah, the form of the wolf is just super roughed in... nothing is finished but the sheep's face.

Plan is for the sheep to be eating the wolf. The more I think about it, I guess it really needs to have the mask on its head (flipped up welding mask style?) for it to make sense for the You're Next challenge. Even then, I might be pushin it. I'm gonna work on the wolf and see where it goes.

Yeay for trilobite love! I was worried the total lack of concept was gonna get that one torn to pieces. Nice to have two super different styles to work on at the same time.

Wolfgang8885

I like the lamb idea, maybe have the mask of a lamb on the lambs face? that would be cool and funny

Pyne
Pyne profile pic Alumni

Haha! I like the lamb mask idea.

Played around with the trilobite on hoodies- I think I like grey the best.

blackhand_
blackhand_ profile pic Alumni

Tril-o-brite as in Lite-brite?

Fox have been real sticklers when it comes to outside pop-culture references in design submissions.

And the lamb is rendered really well and is the stuff of nightmare.

Pyne
Pyne profile pic Alumni
kuro_te said:

Fox have been real sticklers when it comes to outside pop-culture references in design submissions.

Oh my gosh, I hadn't even thought about lite brite (which is odd considering how obsessed I was with mine)! It really had no concept- I was looking at Aboriginal designs and I'm all about fossils, so it was just about more modern colors that were kinda bright and funky- so the 0-mite thing was more of a Jimmy Walker reference.

Hmmmm. Do you think it needs the lite brite concept?

blackhand_
blackhand_ profile pic Alumni
Pyne said:
kuro_te said:

Oh my gosh, I hadn't even thought about lite brite (which is odd considering how obsessed I was with mine)! It really had no concept- I was looking at Aboriginal designs and I'm all about fossils, so it was just about more modern colors that were kinda bright and funky- so the 0-mite thing was more of a Jimmy Walker reference.

Hmmmm. Do you think it needs the lite brite concept?

No, the colors and the highlights reminded me of Lite-Brite. The concept is strong enough to stand on its own without the nostalgia factor. Adding a Lite-Brite reference would probably just confuse the design.

Pyne
Pyne profile pic Alumni

Whew! Thanks Kuro te. I like it, but I was pretty worried that the lack of concept made it a no-go.

Working on the wolf. Should there be shadowy silhouettes of other sheep in the background?

Can I ditch the mask and still have it be appropriate for the challenge?

Pyne
Pyne profile pic Alumni

Added mask and worked on wolf... now I'm thinking of getting rid of the wolf... thoughts?

If the wolf was gone, it would also allow the lamb to be bigger... tee placement rough of course, and I have to work on the lamb's legs.

Pyne
Pyne profile pic Alumni

Thanks Goliath!

No wolf, in red? I like it, but without the separate blood laye does read horror-y enough?

On shirt and other colors

cmasse

Very creepy. It's works in red but the black and dark grey look good too. I'd offer up both color options.

I'm not a sheep expert but the anatomy feels off. Those legs look a little too strait and stiff.

Pyne
Pyne profile pic Alumni

cmasse- thanks for the feedback and I agree. I worked on his legs...

Blood? I think some gore is needed to drive home that the lamb is the one doing the slaughtering, but I want to keep it down to the level that it is still wearable. Thoughts? Maybe just blood on the mask if this is too much?

cmasse

Better. I think his front knees need to be defined a little more. Fatten the knee or slim down the ankles or a little of both, maybe.

As far as blood goes. That's on you. It's all depends on how far to want to go with the message. A little bit of blood for the cool creepy feel or you could take this into over the top gore and have people busting out laughing. You're definitely in the creepy zone right now.

ValentinezAlkalinellaXifax_AKA_Vash

I think this is a good level of unnerving, although you might need to rethink the anatomy of the legs a bit more. Also the lines on the mask are a tad sketchy. I don't think the blood on the mask is too much, although I think printing it on red obscures the blood entirely and makes it harder to tell what's going on.

Pyne
Pyne profile pic Alumni

Thanks for the feedback again! Good call on the sketchy lines on the mask.

Worked on some stuff-

Halftoned on slides-

Pyne
Pyne profile pic Alumni

Thanks again:)

I just subbed him... before I went crazy. Working with heavily shaded wool is not high on my list of things to do again.

cmasse

Looks good. Good luck!

CreativeCowgirl220
Pyne said:

Added mask and worked on wolf... now I'm thinking of getting rid of the wolf... thoughts?

If the wolf was gone, it would also allow the lamb to be bigger... tee placement rough of course, and I have to work on the lamb's legs.

I rather enjoy this concept without the wolf as to me it looks cleaner and makes the scene a little more finished and believable. Who would believe a cute little lamb would murder a wolf? i would also keep the blood splatter on the mask. In all looks great!

airdeh
Pyne said:

Thanks for the feedback again! Good call on the sketchy lines on the mask.

Worked on some stuff-

Halftoned on slides-

WOW, looking good! Love the realism!

Pyne
Pyne profile pic Alumni

Thanks!

Workin on this- Tiger Sharks Still tons of touching up to do- some of the fins need reshaping.

I'm worried all the pointy fins could make it look to tribal tattoo-y?

Pyne
Pyne profile pic Alumni

Slapped the rough draft on a slide- the edges need work obviously, but can you see the tiger ok?

Pyne
Pyne profile pic Alumni

Thanks Theo:)

Watched Shark Week (the majority of which sucked this year) and now my sketchbook has 5 pages of pinot grigio fueled sharks. Had to drink to get over my Megolodon "documentary" anger.

ibyes
ibyes profile pic Alumni

Those are both great designs. I particularly like tiger shark. I didn't see the tiger Right away, but I think that's a good thing. I think tiger shark should print and slaughter house has a chance too. Good luck!

Pyne
Pyne profile pic Alumni

Thanks again ibyes- btw, you should have been printed a gagillion times- impressive!

5ensei

Good work. I love the sheep and tiger shark

Pyne
Pyne profile pic Alumni

Thanks!

Today is my son's 1st birthday and I should have spent the morning decorating his cake and cleaning the house for the party. Instead, I decided to work on my other You're Next sub. I was on a roll- everything I did this morning was looking better than I could have hoped. Was about press save-

Then the power went out.

Lost work, dirty house, no cake, and I live in Virginia so it is gonna get hotter than hell.

Gonna cry.

Pyne
Pyne profile pic Alumni

Working on this for You're Next- Wanted to do something subtle.

Getting ready to halftone it soon.

Pyne
Pyne profile pic Alumni

Thanks qetza!

Put slides together- is the sideways formatting too distracting? I really wanted to get a close-up of the glasses in there, so I couldn't split it vertically.

Pyne
Pyne profile pic Alumni

Bumpin cuz I have an itchy submission finger!

jaywalkergraphics
jaywalkergraphics profile pic Alumni

Sidways slides are distracting for me, and they don't add much. Looks just great, bytheway!

jaywalkergraphics
jaywalkergraphics profile pic Alumni
jaywalkergraphics said:

Sideways slides are distracting for me, and they don't add much. Looks just great, bytheway!

And typos.

Pyne
Pyne profile pic Alumni

Lol!

Yeah, I hear ya. Maybe these?

Pyne
Pyne profile pic Alumni

Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
No account?
Join Us