Close
One second...

Is society6 making you earn money?

I couldn't find how to search the forum so I'm asking the question. Do you guys selling through society6 really make money? Would you advise someone to make his own shop?

Watch this
Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
invisibleelement
invisibleelement profile pic Alumni

Society6 definitely has benefits and yes, you CAN make money. Obviously it depends on what you create to sell in your shop as well as how you promote it. Every item available at society6 has a flat rate price, and you decide what your profit is on top of that.

Since Society6 does everything for you (printing, checkout, shipping, etc.), it makes sense that they take a majority of the cut.

I've sold several prints and items through my store and have made a decent amount, but of course it would always be nice to make more.

http://society6.com/artist/invisibleelement http://society6.com/invisibleelement

chuck p comics
chuck p comics profile pic Alumni
1 design submitted -

just started up a shop and I got an e-mail saying one of my designs was selected to be included in the society6 shop.........what's that even mean?

mechanicalrobotpower
mechanicalrobotpower profile pic Alumni
1 design submitted -
chuck p comics said:

just started up a shop and I got an e-mail saying one of my designs was selected to be included in the society6 shop.........what's that even mean?

I've had that email about 7 times, ...no idea.

DRO72
DRO72 profile pic Alumni

just means those designs can be seen/searched from the general S6 site, as opposed to only being visible on your personal shop page.

oliveboo

thanks! i think i'll give it a try when i get the time then

lunchboxbrain
lunchboxbrain profile pic Alumni
1 design submitted -

It's worth it IMO. Putting designs that you're proud of up for sale makes more sense than just letting them collect dust on your hard drive.

Visualesque

That's useful to know! I thought the flat rate price was it - and looking at the artist's cut of that price was actually very low e.g. $2 out of $60 goes to the artist for ipad skins...

Can anyone speak of inprnt.com or redbubble.com? (Sorry for highjacking the thread but I'm curious :P)

louisroskosch
louisroskosch profile pic Alumni

there is a great thread on society 6 from back a long, but i cant find it at all. a couple of guys go into detail about how to use society6 successfully. would love to read it if anyone knows the one i am talking about?

MichelleNagel
louisroskosch said:

there is a great thread on society 6 from back a long, but i cant find it at all. a couple of guys go into detail about how to use society6 successfully. would love to read it if anyone knows the one i am talking about?

I would also love to read it!

I just started a shop too. It's worth trying :)

Musarter
Musarter profile pic Alumni

Society6 could in theory make you money. If you already have an internet presence or a following you will probably sell some items. I, on the other hand, have been on there for two years and sold one print. The only problem I see with Society6 is that all the people on it are artists and, traditionally speaking, most artists don't have spare money to spend on art. I am considering making a shop on Etsy and seeing if that does any better.

ivanrodero
1 design submitted -

I make money with S6 but it's all about promotion outside the site, you have to work it... a lot.

breadlegs

ivanrodero - what kinds of promo do you do?

khallion
khallion profile pic Alumni

I generally do 100-300 a month there. Took me a while to get there. Christmas season made me big money, though. 2K+. Keep promoting, use social media to the fullest (Facebook, Tumblr, Pinterest, Twitter, etc) My Facebook fan page is one of the mos important tools in promoting myself. I do well on Etsy, and Red Bubble, too. Don't pick one or the other, do them all. Lots of streams of income, that's key.

lxromero
lxromero profile pic Staff
khallion said:

I generally do 100-300 a month there. Took me a while to get there. Christmas season made me big money, though. 2K+. Keep promoting, use social media to the fullest (Facebook, Tumblr, Pinterest, Twitter, etc) My Facebook fan page is one of the mos important tools in promoting myself. I do well on Etsy, and Red Bubble, too. Don't pick one or the other, do them all. Lots of streams of income, that's key.

thats good advice. I use Society6 but dont promote it as much as i should so my revenue there is lacking

The Paper Crane
The Paper Crane profile pic Alumni
lxromero said:
khallion said:

thats good advice. I use Society6 but dont promote it as much as i should so my revenue there is lacking

Made $21 over Christmas!!! I think I need to do some promoting.

rohan.jha.792

I've started of on S6 recently, and initially I had no followers or sales, but of late Ive made around $30 in a month. Hope this increases with time.

My Society6 Store

Do check out my page share if you like it :)

biotwist
biotwist profile pic Alumni
ivanrodero said:

I make money with S6 but it's all about promotion outside the site, you have to work it... a lot.

in what ways do you work it?

Jakewashere

I have yet to start a S6 (I've been putting off paying the paypal fee) but I have Redbubble and DesignByHumans. I'm still trying to figure out how to promote. The best I've come up with is posting designs to reddit, which generaly get alot of clicks, but not purchases. I have a facebook but I don't really understand it well I guess. Most of my likes are my friends, and I don't really know how to collect others. I figure I'll just keep making art, and get better, and start being social online and the rest with come with time.

Anyone have suggestions for putting yourself out there and how to gain facebook traffic?

vanillablue
vanillablue profile pic Staff
comdo99 said:

DesignByHumans Haven't promoted any of mine designs I got on there any where and I made a lot sales on them. but as for this society6 website, I read complaints about them from customers and shop owners and its not good. kinda fraud by what I read online. so it makes me think about not joining up there at all.

Fraud? That is absolutely false.

lxromero

I find that with Society6, as with a lot of POD sites, the trick is to submit work regularly so your stuff can get traction

rohan.jha.792
lxromero said:

I find that with Society6, as with a lot of POD sites, the trick is to submit work regularly so your stuff can get traction

I agree with you. Continous posts help a lot. I haven't done any publicity outside s6 yet, and I was still surprised to see $30 worth of commision in a month. Even DBH is nice, but I'm not sure how to promote these. I see a lot of pottential though.

GunjanCreations

Is anyone participating in any collaborations in Society6 ? How does it work ?

lxromero
GunjanCreations said:

Is anyone participating in any collaborations in Society6 ? How does it work ?

my understanding (which is limited and from very very far away) is that it works in a similar way to our partnerships, its a contest of sorts and you apply to participate or create something based on whatever the collaboration is (tees for instance)

They aren't super clear about it or I'm just stupid so I haven't delved any further

tshirtbaba

yeah it's like promote your shop on fb, twitter, pinterest, tumblr and what not. its worth it in the end if you are really interested :)

ivanrodero said:

opifan64
opifan64 profile pic Alumni

Yeah, it's probably the best POD site at the moment. Top earners make around $3,000 - $5,000 a month. I'm not at that level but I'm not complaining either. Allowed me to quit my job (for the time being at least.) There are quite a few other good sites as well.

parallelish
parallelish profile pic Alumni

i just recently joined the site, but i have made one sale, so hopefully i can make some moneys eventually

vectored_life

I've earned $6 in the last 2 weeks. Also the first money I've made on there. It's not a lot but as LBB said, better than collecting dust on a hard drive.

obviouswarrior

No sales yet in S6. That said I love the site and I understand that my work isn't for everyone. Just keep promoting your art oliveboo. You'll get there.

Musarter
Musarter profile pic Alumni

Nothing on sold on Society6 but I sold about $150 on Redbubble (mostly stickers) last month. All this is based on being featured; the only things I sold were items that were featured. This would also probably be the case with Society6 too but I cannot say because they never feature any of my work.

cococosy

I love Redbubble, nice community, interaction with customers and the staff is also very helpful in promoting and stuff. DBH is starting to be helpful as well. Teepublic has a nice concept & royalties, but personally haven't sold a lot yet over there. I like that they don't accept just anything..

I've started with S6 and liked it a lot for a while. It looks nice, but lacks a certain human element. These 'you've been selected' messages are all generated if you hit +10 likes. It's easy to get lost in the crowd over there..

What I do find odd is how my sales dropped about 60% since they changed the storefront a few months ago. First you saw just designs - now it's only products. Anyone noticed something similar?

opifan64
opifan64 profile pic Alumni
cococosy said:

I love Redbubble, nice community, interaction with customers and the staff is also very helpful in promoting and stuff. DBH is starting to be helpful as well. Teepublic has a nice concept & royalties, but personally haven't sold a lot yet over there. I like that they don't accept just anything..

I've started with S6 and liked it a lot for a while. It looks nice, but lacks a certain human element. These 'you've been selected' messages are all generated if you hit +10 likes. It's easy to get lost in the crowd over there..

What I do find odd is how my sales dropped about 60% since they changed the storefront a few months ago. First you saw just designs - now it's only products. Anyone noticed something similar?

You should also have a look at BoomBoom Prints. They're a brand new site that focuses on kids clothes, and art for nurseries. I just uploaded some stuff there but I bet your style would go over well. http://www.boomboomprints.com/

radiomode
radiomode profile pic Alumni
1 design submitted -

In short, yes it does!

ChrisDB

Hey guys, I started an S6 shop a while back with just a couple items. I didn't realise though that I can't receive payments from paypal. I'm out of the US. Any suggestions?

Thomas Orrow
Thomas Orrow profile pic Alumni

Hardly anything at all from S6, although I made my first $200 from combined sales from different sites last month (not much, but it's a start).

I was making a tiny bit before from S6 but then my store broke and I had to re-upload everything and lost a lot of followers.

Thomas Orrow
Thomas Orrow profile pic Alumni

Compared to other sites like Teepublic, Red Bubble and DBH it seems like more work for slightly less cash. I've probably spent the most time on S6 and made the least cash comparatively speaking for time spent on it. (Follows, comments, uploads on various products etc. etc).

inkdummy
inkdummy profile pic Alumni

I've been on Society6 for just above two years now, and I'm not uploading stuff with the regularity I'd wish too (but I'm working on it). My first year was crap. I think I made one sale my first year. Now I make a sale a day on average, (on a slow month, and the last couple of months have been slow, making about between $100-$300). Like for Karen, Christmas was good to me ( $1200 ) so I guess seasons play in a lot? But also; uploading stuff on the regular.

sean.hnedak

I cannot will myself to use society 6 as it seems I will only earn a dollar or two for each item I sell, and I value my work more than that.

Does anybody know of good one off printing sites? I'm thinking of doing an Etsy type store where I would do the printing/shipping work myself (poor college student here). https://www.behance.net/SeanHnedak

abacoian

I just joined s6 Friday and uploaded a few photos, I tried to upload this morning and got an error. Hopefully no big deal and will be fixed soon.

This is a good topic with good info. I like taking nature photos but haven't figured out how to make a living at it.

I always have big ideas and plan to dedicate time to on-line oppurtunities but I never get there. It seems that with so many sites available that the possibilities are there. But the internet seems like an ocean that can wash you away if you aren't sure of the right course to stay on.

For artists including ourselves we should share what works for us and help others. So far on-line I've had almost zero success but I believe in keep trying.

There are so many great free sites but I get overwhelmed with trying to set one up just right and then I end up forgetting it all together. I want to find a specific one that I can build my photography portfolio to point people to and consistantly add to it and then maybe try other sites to gain a few followers here and there.

I like the simplicity of s6 and hope it will be good for me. Does anyone have a good guideline for the title and keyword fields when you upload your work?

Appreciate any advice for online art thank you.

Ian

ImAGoldenGod
Musarter said:

Society6 could in theory make you money. If you already have an internet presence or a following you will probably sell some items. I, on the other hand, have been on there for two years and sold one print. The only problem I see with Society6 is that all the people on it are artists and, traditionally speaking, most artists don't have spare money to spend on art. I am considering making a shop on Etsy and seeing if that does any better.

I've made more on Etsy in 6 months than I have on S6 in 4 years. It's definitely more work since you're producing/shipping the products and dealing directly with the customers but it's worth it. I have "sold out" a bit in terms of some designs I've put up there but it's just what people want. You're also able to decide if you can take custom orders which definitely bring in more money.

abacoian

okay so today i started getting s6 adverts in my browser at the top, mostly inapropriate art from that site, anyone else have this problem after joining s6 and how to get rid of it?

vectored_life
abacoian said:

okay so today i started getting s6 adverts in my browser at the top, mostly inapropriate art from that site, anyone else have this problem after joining s6 and how to get rid of it?

This is probably to do with your browser and not Society6. Your browser (especially Chrome) tracks the places you visit the most and caters ads on webpages to "fit what you like."

In other words, you visit Society6 a lot (as an assumption), so most of your ads will be for buying stuff on Society6. Make sense?

abacoian

yes i kind of knew that, but my question is why s6 ads are of those images?Yes you can call them art but one of the images is specifically very clear. My question about s6 is why are their adverts specifically of that nature. I was excited about trying s6 and even got verified, now I wonder

YaaH
YaaH profile pic Alumni

Promote my works?

ThatRedBalloon

The times which we are living in the internet era is just so wonderful. You should make an account on all of these websites like redbub, s6, etsy etc. its all about online presence and being consistent there. Tweet about your work, pin it post it on reddit or 4chan asking for sincere comments. you never know what activity may attract a huge traffic to your portfolio. let the world know that you exist. go on make accounts on these platform. there is nothing to lose.

park_life
park_life profile pic Alumni

In my opinion there are two ways of making money in S6: having some internet presence and then promoting your work, or the lazy way (that's mine) you can upload fan arts of popular cartoons, videogames, etc and wait for people to search the tags. I sell about 6-10 t-shirts/mugs of Adventure Time in a month, is not big money but it's something.

martinascott

Got an email today from society6 crediting me with $1.80 for my first sale. Looks like it's finally time to quit the ole day job; I'll call the boss in the morning.

lxromero

I just got paid $3.50

martinascott
lxromero said:

I just got paid $3.50

Boaster.

lxromero
martinascott said:
lxromero said:

I just got paid $3.50