Intermediate seamless patterning tutorial

Hey guys, I made a really long patterning tutorial video. If you wanna check it out here's the link!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rF_LlKNrkFk&feature=youtu.be

I'd be super grateful for any comments or suggestions (too short, too long, too rambly, not clear enough?) since I loved making this and I'd love to make more and hopefully make them better too.

I'll make a higher res version available too, I went for the lowest fearing the huge file size but it's not so bad so I might increase it.

Whee!

Watch this
Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
celandinestern
celandinestern profile pic Alumni

If anyone has any questions about the tut or needs some additional explanations about the stuff I didn't cover in detail, feel free to ask in here.

cmasse

I love that overlay technique. I'll have to try it on my next project.

jaywalkergraphics
jaywalkergraphics profile pic Alumni

I watched the whole thing, with some brief skips back and forth! Man, that's a sweet tutorial, but I love tutorials, anyway. My only piece of input would be that mayhaps it could have been almost two separate videos? For me, I reeeeeeally wanted to know how you did the first part [creating the initial design/filling in the tile and making sure it repeats smoothly], and then I only-kinda wanted to know how the background geometric shapes were used to fill in behind. Does that seem grumpy of me? Haha!

Really, though, with this hoodie competition going on, I wish I'd seen this tutorial earlier, because pattern zip hoodies are the bean's jeans, to me and maybe I would have been brave enough to attempt something. Okay, I've said enough, now. Thanks!

celandinestern

Yeah, I purposely skipped through the geometrics part because I figured that wouldn't be people's main interest, maybe it could have been shorter still. Seamless patterns are a long-term love, I'm sure I'll be learning more as time goes on and happily sharing it too :)

MoUO

I watched it, and thought it was great! In the past I've slogged through that kind of tile patterning by cutting objects in half and dragging them to opposite sides. No more! Thanks for the tips, Celandinestern.

littlem

read me a bedtime story now? :p

celandinestern

Yeah I never liked the cutting and inverting stuff.

M, I promise my next tutorial will include excerpts from Little Red Riding Hood.

Goldendust

Sooooo good! Also I've been meaning to email you but I'm such a failure at doing anything other than work/sleeping right now. I'm sorry :(

celandinestern

that's ok Kimby, I'll always be here :) I totally understand that state!!

Goldendust

You're the best, Lidija.

Also, there's a follow button! I literally haven't used my desktop since before they rolled that out...

celandinestern

hahahah yeah the follow thing is weird :) I keep amassing followers and have no idea where they're coming from :)

timpunny

super cool! maybe you could have a table of contents in the description so that it's easier to navigate (i.e. 0:29 setting up the document, 1:03 drawing the pattern, etc.)

Christina.A.art

Watched the video... you have a lot of patience haha! Looks great.. this will be fun to try out sometime. Thanks for sharing :)

GunjanCreations

Thanks celandinestern , your Video is awesome !! Learnt so much , 'have saved the link and would see it again to learn further from your instructions ! :)

Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
No account?
Join Us