Close
One second...

Intermediate seamless patterning tutorial

Hey guys, I made a really long patterning tutorial video. If you wanna check it out here's the link!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rF_LlKNrkFk&feature=youtu.be

I'd be super grateful for any comments or suggestions (too short, too long, too rambly, not clear enough?) since I loved making this and I'd love to make more and hopefully make them better too.

I'll make a higher res version available too, I went for the lowest fearing the huge file size but it's not so bad so I might increase it.

Whee!

Watch this
Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
celandinestern
celandinestern profile pic Alumni

you're bluffing, cat. It's over half an hour long, there's no way you've seen it already and can tell whether it's helpful. But thanks for the vote of confidence anyways :)

mip1980
mip1980 profile pic Alumni

I watched about 15 minutes and i have to say it is very helpful!!!! You have way more patience than i do lol

PeculiarTiffany
PeculiarTiffany profile pic Alumni

I think that for people that are seriously wanting to know about how to make patterns, it's just right. :-) It's very thorough. The next time I do a pattern, I'm definitely going to refer to it, because you make it look so easy.

celandinestern

It really is easy. I guess that's what I wanted to show. It is very thorough and I'm afraid that for a lot of experienced designers it explains way too much, but even though it's aimed at a sort of intermediate level I wanted to give relative newbies a chance to follow the action too. I kept worrying that I'm explaining either too much or too little, lol.

anyways thanks for the support y'guys!!! If anyone has any idea about what else I could make a tut about, lemme know (something you wanted a tutorial on but couldn't find good ones, and I have a hope of knowing. Or some piece of mine you'd be curious to see the process of).

Tutorials are way fun to make!!

digsy
digsy profile pic Alumni

i'm only 4 minutes in and i'm already going "ooh, thats clever, i'll use that next time"! think this is going to be very helpful, thanks!

celandinestern

awsum :D feel free to mention any bad stuff too, I really want to improve in the whole tutorial thing.

Musarter
Musarter profile pic Alumni

Just watched it. There are some super helpful techniques in there. You explained things just enough. ¡Muchos Gracias!

celandinestern

would this be good enough to go on the resources page in the Make it Better section? Who does that anyway? I mean choose things to go in there.

pyr4lis
pyr4lis profile pic Alumni

nice! I'll flag this to check out later when I have time :)
Always love to see how others make their patterns. I love them but struggle with creating the all over repeat. I do work with patterns at work but it's always liner (think belt embossing) which are totally easy to repe

airdeh

Wow this is really useful! Definitely a good reference if I ever plan on doing patterns in future. Thanks for sharing! :D

LFagan

Nice job! Thanks for putting this together! I couldn't watch the whole thing because I'm at work, but it's great how thorough and detailed the tutorial is. This is going to be very helpful to a lot of artists. Next time we do a pattern challenge it would be great to feature this!

celandinestern

thanks so much guys!!!

Ivan, my first thought while I was doing this was 'man I wish everyone would make narrated video clips so I can hear what all the Threadpeeps sound like!'

Leah, I'd be really stoked if the video was included in the resources for artists or featured within a pattern competition. I'll definitely make more if I can think of worthy topics.

JIMDAHOUSECAT
JIMDAHOUSECAT profile pic Alumni
celandinestern said:

you're bluffing, cat. It's over half an hour long, there's no way you've seen it already and can tell whether it's helpful. But thanks for the vote of confidence anyways :)

I wasn't bluffing, admittedly i didn't watch it all but was saying that it's very helpful because I have no idea how to successfully make patterns. I bookmarked the video in my browser so will watch it when I get idea for a pattern.

celandinestern
JIMDAHOUSECAT said:
celandinestern said:

I wasn't bluffing, admittedly i didn't watch it all but was saying that it's very helpful because I have no idea how to successfully make patterns. I bookmarked the video in my browser so will watch it when I get idea for a pattern.

hahahah no worries, man :) I just needed to bark something at you as proscribed by the clashing difference in the banners on our avatar pics. Hope it turns out useful :)

moosabman
moosabman profile pic Alumni

Cool Cool. I wish more people would post stuff on their process. I find it really interesting how everyone else is working. Oh and you should totally put a link to your design FB in the video description so lazy people like me will find it!

ilyya
ilyya profile pic Alumni

I thought that was very well done, watched the whole thing and learned a lot!

celandinestern

thanks, Ilya!!! means a lot, coming from one patterner to another :)

ivanrodero
ivanrodero profile pic Alumni
celandinestern said:

thanks so much guys!!!

Ivan, my first thought while I was doing this was 'man I wish everyone would make narrated video clips so I can hear what all the Threadpeeps sound like!'

Hehe that would be actually interesting, I have an idea of each one voices and I would love to see how far away of the real voices I am.

osaze

liked. really helpful tutorial

littlem

i'm in a pattern of falling for you every time i'm in your blargs. ;P

celandinestern

I know, Prettyballz. You and me was just meant to be.

LOL Ivan that picture really works :) We should definitely start posting soundbites.

JIMDAHOUSECAT
JIMDAHOUSECAT profile pic Alumni
celandinestern said:
JIMDAHOUSECAT said:
celandinestern said:

hahahah no worries, man :) I just needed to bark something at you as proscribed by the clashing difference in the banners on our avatar pics. Hope it turns out useful :)

Watched in full now ;)

PeculiarTiffany

Dear Lidija,

Since you are pattern queen, do you know how many colors are allowed when you're doing an all over pattern?

celandinestern

lulz :D I need to make a 'pattern queen' pattern.

Last I asked staff there was a limitation of 4 colors for an all-over print, but they also said their peeps are working on increasing that. They suggested to use no more than 4 colors and if possible make versions with even less, as alternatives if needed.

PeculiarTiffany
celandinestern said:

lulz :D I need to make a 'pattern queen' pattern.

Last I asked staff there was a limitation of 4 colors for an all-over print, but they also said their peeps are working on increasing that. They suggested to use no more than 4 colors and if possible make versions with even less, as alternatives if needed.

That's going to be a challenge, but hopefully I'll be up to it! :-D Thanks, lady.

Wharton
Wharton profile pic Alumni

Lidija voice, all the years of wondering are now over.

oh and good tutorial too.

Kudaman

thanks, that is really helpful!

celandinestern

thanks guys! :)

I'm thinking of doing one about texturing and using Cock and Balls as the example.

celandinestern

I've moved this to Tips and Tricks, that's where these things go, right?

amaara

YES, I would loveee to see that

celandinestern said:

I'm thinking of doing one about texturing and using Cock and Balls as the example.

also, I actually watched the whole thing a few days ago, super helpful. I usually use the cut in half method, but this is wayy better for an intricate pattern, cant wait til I have a pattern in mind to use what I learnt, thanks!!

moosabman
moosabman profile pic Alumni
celandinestern said:

Doo ittt.

celandinestern

alrighty, I'm off on a business trip next week and as soon as that's over I'm doing a Cock n' Ballz tutorial. Whee!!

Babu_Shack

I've just been experimenting with repeated patterns so this video couldn't have came at a better time! Thank you Celandinestern!

Thomas Orrow
Thomas Orrow profile pic Alumni

Great video! I watched about 5 mins at the start and 5 mins at the end. The video is at the right level for me. I like to change the colour with the hue adjust colours for some reason though.

You sounded like how I thought you would.

celandinestern

I'm glad people are finding this useful!!!

Thomas Orrow said:

You sounded like how I thought you would.

That makes me strangely happy :)

Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
No account?
Join Us