Close
One second...

rejected. need help.

rejected! threadless feels the idea could use a little more work to be up to the standard. its kind of vague. do you think the idea is ok but the style how it is done is not? should i resubmit this? thanks!

and also, please do vote on my other entry for simpsons. thanks.
http://www.threadless.com/thesimpsons/dohnuts-3/

Watch this
Morkki
Morkki profile pic Alumni
1 design submitted -

The anatomy needs more work. Especially Lisa's legs look weird. Also, how was this going to be on a shirt? Printed all over or in a rectangle?

badnobe
badnobe profile pic Alumni

it will be rectangle.

Morkki
1 design submitted -

Ahh, no. It doesn't look good. My suggestion is to get rid of the rectangle and the gradient and put it on a light colored shirt.

badnobe

thanks, man. i was thinking of putting it on a white shirt. and trying to make it not boxy. but with no luck. but ill try to revise it. you think the idea of of the characters being grown ups is okay?

Morkki
1 design submitted -

The concept is okay, the characters just need to be refined more to be on the same level as the motorcycle (which is really good)

badnobe

thanks for the help. will try to change it and submit it again.

digsy
digsy profile pic Alumni
2 designs submitted - Score now!

yeah the anatomy needs a bit of work - the simspons characters aren't sitting well in their outfits at the moment, barts head looks particularly weird. the only way i can describe it - which is going to sound totally daft but anyway - is that they look like they've been badly photoshopped in! and the rectangle is a big issue - try to think of the whole shirt as a canvas and using it as such. the way the bike and even the characters are cut off just doesn't work for a shirt - try finish them off, work them into the shirt and lose the gradient. this would work quite well as a black sketch on a white shirt with just the simpsons yellow standing out.

badnobe

how about this? its quite different without the gradient. it doesnt look that boxy.

badnobe

@digsy - yeah. that was my first thought. a black and white with just yellow skin. thanks, man.

digsy
digsy profile pic Alumni
2 designs submitted - Score now!

its' still very obviously a box. you need to finish off some of the elements and find a way to incorporate them into the shirt somehow. also what software are you using? if the shirt is white, you don't want to be pasting the white background on to it, just the line work - you can see it really obviously otherwise.

melmike
melmike profile pic Alumni

There's a disconnect between the simpsons parts and the rest of the illustration, not only do they appear out of scale, but also less rendered. It looks like this illustration didn't start it's life as a Simpsons piece, but has recently been co-opted. I don't know if that's what you did, bit that's what it looks like. Why not extend the quality and depth to the hands and faces?

Also yeah, figure out a way to get rid of the box.

badnobe

yeah sorry about the white background. i forgot to make it transparent. im using PS but this started as a scanned sketch. im trying to keep the sketchy feel of the whole design to be more different from other subs. or should i just make it very detailed (like simpson style - just one sharp line). ill try to finish some of the elements and we'll see. im actually digging now just the black and white.

fourLTRS

What's the concept here? I would defiantly have it mimic The Simpson's style more, at least that way it'll look official.

bortwein
bortwein profile pic Alumni

I like the black and yellow spot color version on the white shirt. I do think the boxy look is still there. Maybe try to finish out the Tire and Lisa's legs, then try extending out a few lines from the other scene elements so they don't all stop at the boxy shape.

radiomode
radiomode profile pic Alumni
1 design submitted -

I think you should check how they look as adult. I think several simpsons episodes have Bart and Lisa as adult, and they actually look different.

MudgeStudios
MudgeStudios profile pic Alumni
9 designs submitted - Score now!
bortwein said:

I like the black and yellow spot color version on the white shirt. I do think the boxy look is still there. Maybe try to finish out the Tire and Lisa's legs, then try extending out a few lines from the other scene elements so they don't all stop at the boxy shape.

I agree, I like the black and yellow spot version much better. Better direction, but still needs a little refinement and the design is still too boxy. Good Luck!

FoodStampDavis
FoodStampDavis profile pic Alumni

Agreed with others that the yellow and black version is best and you gotta get around the boxing. The design-in-a-box thing will rarely do well here. It makes a shirt look slapped together and unfinished.

thepapercut

head size feels a little to small for the body size, also the abrupt ghost box separates the art from the whole shirt. On the opposite hand, as others have said the black, white and yellow combo works really well.

No account?