Close
One second...

Simpsons WIP – Final Score 3.61

LONGEST ROLLING SHOW ON TELEVISION

So I'm starting a WIP thread for my Simpsons design. The idea is to have a whole bunch of characters in a huge rolling ball like in the episode when the human pyramid collapses. I know, not the funniest or cleverest idea going, but I'm hoping to sell it on the art itself and the overall wearablility of the tee.

Refinements coming soon...

Sketched in all of my favourite characters now, so it's time to let you all in on my plans. I'm going to colour this with a kind of oil-paint style, which I've chosen because I don't want it to look like generic Simpsons merch (this is a Threadless challenge after all) and also because, in my head at least, it'll look more sophisticated that way.

I know it's looking pretty damn busy right now, but I'll be able to sort that out with the colours, lines and shading. I just wanted to make sure it was a solid ball, plus I got to include a bunch of other characters... well, bits of them at least.

Alright, so I'm throwing a bit of a curveball here. I always knew that I wanted to do this in a 'painted' style, but as soon as I started colouring I realised that the black lines just weren't going to gel with that, so I'm going over them. I'm hoping that this will give the sphere better depth, help the characters pop and shift the design away from the normal Simpsons style.

Holy crap, it's finished! I ran out of time for the second version, but I think the original line work still plays a big role in the finished art, so I'm not disappointed. I was honestly stressed for a while there. This took so much longer than anticipated.

And here's a video of my process!

For anyone interested in looking for everything, here's a list of all the characters/references:

Homer, Marge, Bart, Lisa, Maggie, Grandpa, Sanat's Little Helper, Snowball II, Krusty, Ralph, Smithers, Mr Burns, Sideshow Bob, Lionel Hutz Moe, Comic Book Guy, Edna Krabappel, Mole Man, Chief Wiggum, Agnes Skinner, Principal Skinner, Mayor Quimby, Barney Gumble, Milhouse, Groundskeeper Willie, Ned Flanders, Lenny, Carl, Snake, Nelson, Cletus, Prof Frink, Fat Tony, Super Nintendo Chalmers, Frank Grimes, Martin, Bumblebee Man, Gil, Dr Hibbert, Kent Brockman, Dr Nick Riviera, Hank Scorpio newspaper, Malk carton, Nuts and Gum tin, Flaming Moe, a rake and of course... an inanimate carbon rod!

Watch this
Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
mip1980
1 design submitted - Score now!

^^ excited to see this develop :-)

jeffreyg
jeffreyg profile pic Staff

sub as is!

jk, looking forward it

melmike

morning folks!

azrael5

no image show for me

hm087ster

Amazing sketch!

altair4444

looking very good so far! are you planning to add one extra detail, like keeping one character out of the ball.

e.g, ralph standing on the way to hug the giant ball

BubbleHezza

Ooooohh yessssss, This could be epic

melmike

I don't know exactly what it's gonna be yet, Ersin, but yes, I'll make it so you can see that they're actually rolling and not just floating in empty space. Thanks for the idea!

melmike

I'll probably just put a shadow in underneath with some ground 'texture', a bit like Stacy did on this one. I like the idea of keeping the composition circular.

digsy

this looks like it's going to be amazing!

FoodStampDavis

This looks extremely promising.

Although, I'm also interested in this "took a dump on the screen" idea.

azrael5

melmike can you get the image here from another hosting site...sorry man just want to see it....I can't now

melmike

Done. Can you see it now?

azrael5

remarkable....restless to see this develop...i like the detail even in the rumble: bart getting strangled,comic guy's indifference look...man super!

melmike

Yeah, I've tried to give every character I could something to show their personality.

worst giant rolling deathball ever

littlem

d'oh my gosh! so good!

melmike

Thanks! Being such a Simpsons nut, this one is üter fun to put together.

parallelish

lookin good man 8)

melmike

Hmmm... Needs more dog.

melmike

Shit, I forgot Moe! So much for 25 characters... probably add in Santa's Little Helper and Snowball too

johnnysPeter

Dude... frickin sweet!

melmike

... maybe I can't count... anyway, just added in Moe and the pets, plus a few choice sight gag items from some of my favourite episodes.

melmike
foodstampdavis said:

This looks extremely promising.

Although, I'm also interested in this "took a dump on the screen" idea.

You don't sketch down your designs using this method? Weird.

hm087ster

Doesn't feel like ball is moving...coming along great though...

jamesnotjim

I'm probably totally wrong here but are you gonna have an impression of a hill in the background so you can see where they rolled from? Also I can't believe snake isn't in there :(

melmike

I haven't figured out exactly how I'm going to do it, but yeah, it'll have a shadow and texture or whatever it needs to give the illusion of the whole thing bouncing down a hill.

I also hear what you're saying about Snake, but when I wrote down my list of favourite characters he was one of the 2 or 3 I had to drop. There still plenty of room for 'inner' characters though, in the middle of the ball, so yeah, some part of him will no doubt end up in there somewhere.

jamesnotjim

Phew :) looking forward to the next update :)

celandinestern

this is incredibly amazeballs.

mip1980
1 design submitted - Score now!

we can all quit now, Mike has this one in the bag!

Pyne

Looks incredible!

melmike

Wow, thanks for the encouragement guys! I really hope I don't fuck it up now : )

melmike

Time to start thinking about colouring this bad boy...

osaze
melmike said:

Wow, thanks for the encouragement guys! I really hope I don't fuck it up now : )

hahahaha! looking good,i doubt you'ld fuck it up

azrael5

awesome mike!

Kudaman

omfg, Mike this is really awesome! amazing details on every characters.

Cant wait to see the colored version!

melmike

Thanks guys! I'm super keen to watch it develop too. Now, down to work...

hm087ster

The colouring you started is amazing. You must hurry though and submit this Simpsons snowball before the deadline...

jamesnotjim

Unreal so far hurry though mate!!!

FoodStampDavis

This is going to be great. Really hope you get it in under the deadline.

kuro_te

If you have time, submit two versions. The painted version and the more conventional flat shaded version. You've got this really awesome line art, and I'd hate to see that left by the wayside. Heck, you could probably just ink up your working drawing and submit that and win.

Something tells me that Fox is looking for a more conservative, recognizable approach to their characters.

hm087ster

^ What he said...

melmike

Brilliant idea! I never thought of that. I was in two minds when deciding to go over the lines, now I'll do both versions. This is why you have a WIP blog. Thanks guys! I'm not worried about getting this done in time. I've been working hard these last three days to push life out of the way, so it's almost clear sailing from here on in.

osaze

this is looking really good Mike. I with kuro_te on you using the conventional flat shaded look. good to know you can pull this off before the deadline. cheers!

melmike

Yeah, I agree, I can't wait to see how both turn out. shit gotta get off the forums... back to work!

osaze
melmike said:

Yeah, I agree, I can't wait to see how both turn out. shit gotta get off the forums... back to work!

hahahaha i get carried away in the forum and end up doing no work at the end of the day

melmike

Knocked out 10 characters in a 24 hour period, will do the same or more tomorrow... hoping to get this version finished on Sunday. I've been thinking of the title 'Runaway Hit', but I don't know... maybe too vague. Any suggestions?

Kudaman

damn, great effort man, i think you have very high chance of winning the challenge! rooting for you. eventhough you are a goat.

melmike

Thanks, and here's hoping! In the meantime however...

Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
No account?