Close
One second...

Mmmmm-aze - Thanks!!!

So really just a super amazing thanks to everyone who voted for this but also all the wonderful peeps in this blog who helped me develop it. It definitely would have been a different and inferior design without your input.
Suffice to say I'm pretty amazed I won, I always held hope for a print but to actually win is pretty unbelievable, so thanks!
I know some of you may think there were better more deserving designs and I'd be hard pressed to argue that purely artistically this is better than, say, Santiago's stuff. But my stuff has always been concept driven and on the simpler side and I guess it's an idea that just struck a chord this time which is all I aim to do and can hope for

So thanks Threadless, Fox, the Simpsons and all of you guys! Drinks are on me if I ever meet any of you :-)

OLD WIP BLOG

and we're up, thanks guys!

click the image to vote

OLD

so this is my first attempt at a Simpsons design - hopefully this one won't end up on the pile of half done WIPS i seem to be accumulating at the moment.
Anyway, i call it "in one ear and out the other" and it's very rough in parts at the moment as you can tell - still trying to work out the logistics and shapes in the head and mouth - but you get the idea.

Thoughts?

Watch this
Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
tronbeardsley

Dig it! I honestly didn't understand the 'in one ear' part at first glance though. Maybe if you had a single canal going straight across from one ear to another? May be difficult to do without compromising the shape of Homer's head though..

digsy

well I was going to have IN and OUT signs at each ear to make that clearer. i do actually quite like the silly twist of just having it a straight line surrounded by the really complicated unnecessary maze though, that could be quite amusing.

thanks

Theo86

oh I like this idea.

jamesnotjim

Yeah I agree a single canal would be funny and makes more sense for your idea :)

digsy

Bump

Chaymation

I third the direct route idea

digsy

going to start cleaning this up today - before i do should i make the maze tighter? ie thinner and more of it?

azrael5

direct canal wud look better.that wud make the idea clearer..and unnecessary complications in other parts....if you can somehow insert the clapping monkey inside the head portion..that'd be nice-dunno how to tho..nyway dig it digsy

azrael5

the maze size around the eyes looks perfect.

hm087ster

A really awesome entry!!! Like azrael5 said about the monkey, additional touches like that would be nice.

digsy

here's an update

any thoughts on how to spark it up a bit. i'm not certain the monkey or the like is going to work as it doesn't really tie in with the rest of it at all. What if i coloured it? (white eyes, brown mouth etc)

digsy

and here's colour:

mip1980
1 design submitted - Score now!

This is really coming along great!!!!!

digsy
mip1980 said:

This is really coming along great!!!!!

i was hoping it was kind of beyond "coming along"! any suggestions on where to go next?

Wharton

This might be tough to pull off, But how about if the maze is either Doughnut shaped or Duff beer shaped?

digsy

instead of homer? i can't say I've looked but I've heard there's a lot of donut subs out there, kind of oversaturated already. I did have a duff idea of homer with cans for eyes, but it appears olly moss beat me to it a couple years back!

Wharton

No, I mean keep Homers head, but the maze is shaped like a beer or doughnut, because thats effectively all he thinks of.

airdeh

I do like the idea and the single canal but I feel it shouldn't be straight as even though it makes the idea more obvious, it doesn't look right with the contours of the face. I think you could maybe try to make the canal around his head (or brain - look at picture attached) in a thicker line/wider canal as compared to the rest of the maze in thinner, more closely packed lines. Also, I do not understand why the top part of the maze are all straight lines. My suggestion, which plays off Wharton's is that you could try to do the duff bear/donut/ etc etc shaped maze as his brain? Then maybe add pink color to the brain.

digsy

thanks guys. i don't think i can do both and have this simple straight through the ears concept AND have something going on in his brain. that said, i'm not certain i like the way the straight line sits across the middle and i think i'd rather have a regular maze with the detail in the brain, either duff or a donut (i think a donut might be a LOT easier!). right, back to the drawing board!

mip1980

Maybe you could leave a big space where his brain is with a quirky note / sign there but leave the path going straight through his head, its a great concept it just needs one final killer element and your there

kuro_te

Thicken the outline and the facial features. Where the brain is, you can have a large open space. Maybe you can put a doughnut up in there, too.

digsy

thanks for all the advice guys. I've got this now... should i leave the open space between the head and donut (empty brain) or fill it with more maze

Wharton

This is looking great! I would fill the space in.

TheInfamousBaka

Love how this is looking! I agree with Chris, fill it innnn.

goliath72

Love it very clever

airdeh

Fill em up! Looking good!

littlem

lolove this

hm087ster

Yeah now that's looking like our homer boy...

Ryder
2 designs submitted - Score now!

good job on colors

Twiggyhall

hahaha looks awesome, Dianne :)

Elma e Francis

Fill the brain. I love how the maze actualy works! :)

digsy

filled

digsy
Elma e Francis said:

Fill the brain. I love how the maze actualy works! :)

i love that you've tried! It should work all the way through - does anyone want to give it a go (and point out any errors to me!)?

airdeh

Yep! It went all the way through. took me sooooo long. Like at least 3 minutes D:

johnnysPeter

Awesome design the donut is a great touch, I just did the maze it works! i like how u made it where u have to go through all the parts of the face and head including the donut.

digsy

thanks guys! does this mean we're done????!!!!

airdeh

I think it's good to go! :) What's the title gonna be now that the design's sorta changed?

littlem

it looks awesome!!!

i just want to say one thing...

i really do like the 'straight through' aspect of it. it makes a lot of sense with the saying.

if you decide to put a 'straight through' in the new "donut brain" design, it would be super, too. and you could even nave a tiny donut rollling though the straight part of the maze...

littlem

i'm sorry that was a lot more that "ONE THING" to say. hahahah

azrael5

done awesome!...really sorry can't find any changes to make....

digsy

Thanks littlem - I think I'm going to bypass though. While theoretically clever, the straight through isn't as strong visually I don't think and I kinda think if its going to be there, it needs to be between the ears. I'd rather change the title than make a lesser design to fit it.

Which brings about the next question - what should I call the thing now? I could still keep the name as its still going in and out, but maybe there's something smarter out there?

Also, does it need the arrows and/or the IN and OUT again?

Lastly, when should I be subbing this - I'm a fan normally of last minute with these challenges

timdrake114

I cant think of a name for your piece but leave the arrows out and don't forget about Homers 2 strands of hair on top! lol

airdeh

I'm not witty enough to come up with a good title so I can't help you there :X

Also, from what i've been reading around the forums, seems it will be better to sub last minute, to hopefully avoid the massive onslaught of downvotes. o_o

hm087ster

'A-maze-ing Homer' (sounds lame)

digsy
timdrake114 said:

I cant think of a name for your piece but leave the arrows out and don't forget about Homers 2 strands of hair on top! lol

ooh the hair!! good point!

altair4444

I like how this developed. Looks like a winner to me.

An unnecessary touch: actual path in the maze from ear to ear, drawn with glowing ink. I'm not sure if it does but if it looks like homer while glowing, it could be cool. Like I said not necessary. Great work!

quick-brown-fox

I can't add anything that hasn't already been said, really nice job!

Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
No account?