Close
One second...

s it worth investing in a tablet ???

is it worth investing in a tablet or u can just draw using a mouse???

Watch this
EZFL
EZFL profile pic Alumni

If you can't draw with a pen/pencil on paper, a tablet wont do any magic for you. If you can draw with a pen/pencil, then a tablet will be a huge step up and is worth it.

hellofromthemoon
hellofromthemoon profile pic Alumni

Well I can draw more or less equally with a mouse and a tablet, but the tablet is definitely faster. Also, drawing with a mouse takes a while to get good at, but since a tablet is just a pen there's not much of a learning curve.

It also depends on what kind of things you want to draw. Really intricate, detailed designs that takes +10 hours on paper? A tablet's probably a good investment. But if your style is more minimalist or cartoon, it probably doesn't matter.

In any case you can make any design with a mouse that you can make with a tablet, it is just a question of the time you're willing to put into it. They do cost ~$350, so if that is something you can afford and not worry too much about I would recommend it. But it's not the end of the world if you don't have one.

(Side note: if you do decide to get a tablet don't get one of the cheap 'hobby' tablets, get a proper one. I think there are several threads in this forum about art tablets, and I believe the cheaper ones are not at all artist quality.)

hellofromthemoon

Oh, and I would definitely recommend learning to draw with a pen/pencil first, like xiv said. Then learn how to draw with a mouse.

When you've really gotten good at both of those things, that is when I would be considering whether or not to get a tablet.

Morkki
Morkki profile pic Alumni
1 design submitted -

Drawing with mouse is like stabbing a pencil through a sandwich and then trying to draw with that. Can be done but what's the point?

AJ666

thanks for the tips i just started using Photoshop i used to use corel for my f.d classes and don't know much about these graphic tablets

hellofromthemoon
Morkki said:

Drawing with mouse is like stabbing a pencil through a sandwich and then trying to draw with that. Can be done but what's the point?

lol that is actually a really accurate description of what it's like. I really like drawing with a mouse but I'd forgotten how frustrating it was at first. Thanks for the Monoprice link too, I'd never heard of that brand before so it was a cool article to read

klog

I can't remember how I ever lived without a tablet, if that answers your question :)

SaltySteveD
1 design submitted -

I actually don't do a lot of drawing directly with my tablet but it's done WONDERS for my editing process. Correcting mistakes, digital coloring, layout and pretty much all of my Photoshop work has improved via tablet.

And as mentioned earlier, make sure you get a decent one. I personally use the Wiacom Intuos (medium size) to give you an idea. Don't know how "good" it is but it's definitely worked so far.

melmike
melmike profile pic Alumni

I don't actually agree that any kind of work that can be done on a tablet can be done with a mouse... Maybe in theory, but not in practice. My tablet has quite literally opened up an entire universe of possibilities to me. It's one of the best things I ever bought.

pweye
pweye profile pic Alumni

Yes - indubitably. Drawing with a mouse will give you repetitive strain injuries.

johnnysPeter

I also use a wacom intuos works great, but if u got the rite cash flow get a cintiq cause those tablets are tits!

Ryder
Ryder profile pic Alumni

Tablets are for smart people...

i use a mouse.

azrael5

let the tablet do the work for you?nope.(if you draw nice on a paper with pencil,then get the tablet,now!)

raymex

The most important feature of a tablet is pen pressure, you can't do that using a mouse.

mgarfin

I use a tablet - cost me about $150. It has helped IMMENSELY. Drawing with a mouse is a bit like drawing with your non-dominant hand - it looks like a five-year-old's work, and is nowhere near the best of your abilities. If you can't draw, then the question is moot. GET A TABLET.

melmike

When you guys say 'drawing with a mouse', are you talking about using the pen tool in illustration with anchor points, or do you mean actually moving the mouse around as though it were a pen? Because if it's the latter, that's just crazy!

hellofromthemoon

The latter, I just move the mouse like it was a pen. Not sure how Ryder does it :)

pangalice

For the record, it's possible to produce great work with a mouse. Take a look at Hydro74's work--it's all done by mouse. As he said in an interview, "I do not use a graphics tablet. It’s all mouse. I personally love controlling the lines."

It depends on your preference and style, although I can't imagine how much time it takes. It's mindblowing that something as intricate as this was done by mouse.

AJ666
pangalice said:

For the record, it's possible to produce great work with a mouse. Take a look at Hydro74's work--it's all done by mouse. As he said in an interview, "I do not use a graphics tablet. It’s all mouse. I personally love controlling the lines."

It depends on your preference and style, although I can't imagine how much time it takes. It's mindblowing that something as intricate as this was done by mouse.

Gr8 article thank u for sharing

digsy
digsy profile pic Alumni
2 designs submitted - Score now!

personally i would say a tablet is definitely worth it. sure you CAN do the same stuff with a mouse but a tablet makes it so much easier. and i don't necessarily think it needs to be a huge investment - my first tablet which i had for 2 years was a $40 wacom bamboo which worked a treat for me. having never had anything fancy i may be missing out on some awesome stuff i don't know about, but it was a huge improvement on a mouse and made a massive difference to my work so it was good enough for me.

Morkki
1 design submitted -

Hydro74's work is vectors so a tablet is not necessary there. I don't usually use a tablet in Illustrator either. It's just completely different because you're not really drawing, more like constructing.

pier25

The thing is at some point or another you will need to draw. If you analyse any great illustration (even Hydro74's work) there is always some old fashioned sketching involved.

A tablet would allow you to sketch digitally, and even produce the final art with it if that's the style you are after. But it's not mandatory.

You could also sketch on an ipad with Procreate, or Adobe Ideas. then import that into your computer and work with a mouse. Or you could also sketch on old fashioned paper, and then scan it or take a photo with a digital camera.

raymex

If you have a friend that owns a tablet you can try it or a store that you can ask for a demo. Or just buy an entry level drawing tablet, its not like you are buying a cintiq that you need expert opinions. :)

pier25
raymex said:

If you have a friend that owns a tablet you can try it or a store that you can ask for a demo.

That wouldn't work... it takes time to get used to tablet.

raymex said:

Or just buy an entry level drawing tablet, its not like you are buying a cintiq that you need expert opinions. :)

Yep, it doesn't even have to be a Wacom.

moosabman
moosabman profile pic Alumni

Unless you exclusively use the pen tool, the answer is YES. /thread

Goldendust

This entire blog is filled with good advice.

onehundredpercentok!
melmike said:

When you guys say 'drawing with a mouse', are you talking about using the pen tool in illustration with anchor points, or do you mean actually moving the mouse around as though it were a pen? Because if it's the latter, that's just crazy!

Ugh, I had to make a friend's wedding invitation like the latter in Illustrator CS2 for the hand-drawn vibe it had. It was brutal, but I did it... somehow.

I think that insofar as using the pen tool goes, a mouse is your best bet. I've been using the same logitech mouse for years and it's so ergonomic. But if you're looking for that hand-drawn look--even in Illustrator--a tablet is the way to go. I've been incredibly wowed by the stuff that I could do with one. I mostly use mine for finer details and brush strokes in Illustrator. I just invested in a Wacom Bamboo (smaller than the Intuit) for $79 and it was well worth it.

Hope that helps,

Jonathan

onehundredpercentok!
pangalice said:

H74 is one of those graphic design kings. Everything the guy touches turns gold, I swear.

melmike

I have a confession to make. I haven't used a mouse in years. I used to have a magic trackpad, but it started doing that thing they often do where it acts like it's constantly clicking so I had to disconnect it. Now I use my pen & tablet as a mouse for everything. The only thing it's sub par for is web browsing, but the pen tool in illustrator is a breeze with it.

pier25
melmike said:

I have a confession to make. I haven't used a mouse in years. I used to have a magic trackpad, but it started doing that thing they often do where it acts like it's constantly clicking so I had to disconnect it. Now I use my pen & tablet as a mouse for everything. The only thing it's sub par for is web browsing, but the pen tool in illustrator is a breeze with it.

Did you try FPS gaming? :)

melmike
pier25 said:
melmike said:

Did you try FPS gaming? :)

No, but I'm guessing you'd be faster on a tablet since you don't have to drag the sight across the screen.

Morkki
1 design submitted -

...except that to move your cursor across the screen with a mouse you only have to move your hand a couple of inches. Because of mouse acceleration.

pangalice
Morkki said:

Hydro74's work is vectors so a tablet is not necessary there. I don't usually use a tablet in Illustrator either. It's just completely different because you're not really drawing, more like constructing.

Right, it depends on what kind of work you're doing and what style you're going for. I do clean vectors for the most part, but if you're going for, say, hand-written calligraphy, mouse is going to be a pain.

I'll let you in on a secret -- this submission of mine was done with ... not a tablet, not a mouse, but a trackpad. Obviously, it took forever. Even if you don't have a tablet, at least you have a mouse ....

pangalice
onehundredpercentok! said:

H74 is one of those graphic design kings. Everything the guy touches turns gold, I swear.

So true.

melonolson

i recently bought the Bamboo Splash: Wacom and it was only like $80 @ BEST BUY.

i can draw, but don't always feel consistently confident, so most my work is with pencil/pen and a mouse. i do recommend a tablet tho, its like a whole other experience. everything is practice

BEST BUY yo

AJ666

thank u all for ur advice and links to really good articles ^_^

No account?