Close
One second...

The Simpsons Challenge. Results

I love the main characters on The Simpsons but some of their classic stuff comes from the secondary characters and references.

Here are my five submissions for the challenge. I would have done more if time allowed :)

Thanks for checking them out!!

Year of the Blinky 2.98

Got Malk? 3.22

Up And At Them 2.90

Hail Ants 2.70

Last Call**2.69**

Watch this
Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
BeanePod
BeanePod profile pic Alumni

Hahaha....nice!

Kudaman

Something different, japanese traditional drawing style! looking good! :D

I think in most Japanese drawings the text is written vertically, and usually written in Kanji/Chinese instead of Hiragana. In this case The Simpsons = ?????.

Sample of text placement:

Just suggestions :)

Kudaman

the chinese words is not appearing. btw, just type "the simpsons in chinese" in google will do :D

quick-brown-fox
quick-brown-fox profile pic Alumni
2 designs submitted - Score now!

Great idea for Blinky, also like the addition of Mr Sparkle! I just subbed a Mr Sparkle design too! The vertical text is a really good suggestion. Might work well positioned top left?

Theo86
Theo86 profile pic Alumni

love the idea behind this design.

macdoodle
macdoodle profile pic Alumni
1 design submitted -

Awesome guys! Thanks. I definitely agree with trying the text vertically. Is the wording not correct? I was referencing a Simpsons DVD from Japan. That is one of the main things I want to be sure is accurate so as not to offend or confuse anyone.

I'm still chipping away and will keep you posted. ;)

macdoodle
1 design submitted -
quick-brown-fox said:

I just googled The Simpsons in Chinese

Awesome! Thanks for that. Does it matter (culturally) if it's Chinese or Japanese? I thought koi were more of a Japanese thing. Sorry for my ignorance...I'm American ;)

BeanePod

STOOPID 'MURIKANS

Twiggyhall

Blinky!!!!!!! :D

jamesnotjim

Did the mr.sparkle episode have strobe lighting and bright colours in it? Could you incorporate something like that to make it pop?

ivanrodero
1 design submitted -

It should be in Japanese, both art and Simpsons reference are from there so it would make more sense. ;^)

macdoodle
1 design submitted -

Thanks guys! Blinky is a great kid...and a sustainable source of protein. Im going to mock up both and post them to see what you guys think.

cuttybage

Oh man, this is such a good idea. Kudos!

quick-brown-fox

I know pretty much nothing about this, but i think japanese characters evolved from Japanese. Maybe someone else who knows a bit more can chip in.

macdoodle said:
quick-brown-fox said:

I just googled The Simpsons in Chinese

Awesome! Thanks for that. Does it matter (culturally) if it's Chinese or Japanese? I thought koi were more of a Japanese thing. Sorry for my ignorance...I'm American ;)

macdoodle
1 design submitted -

Here it is in Chinese.

Here it is in Japanese.

I kind of prefer the Chinese text aesthetically. I added a couple of icon stamps that I'm not sure about (I'm keeping Mr. Sparkle though). Thanks!! Also...red? y or n

ivanrodero
1 design submitted -

The truth is I wouldn't risk it adding text if I'm not sure enough that someone won't jump and say "all Asians are not the same" or things like that, the design doesn't need it, is strong as it is, I say loose the text.

quick-brown-fox

I'd suggest making it a bit more discrete if you're keeping the text. Also, what about having mr sparkle as a stamp in a circle somewhere, a bit like a post mark?

macdoodle
1 design submitted -
quick-brown-fox said:

I'd suggest making it a bit more discrete if you're keeping the text. Also, what about having mr sparkle as a stamp in a circle somewhere, a bit like a post mark?

Yes. I like the subtle effect.

ivanrodero said:

The truth is I wouldn't risk it adding text if I'm not sure enough that someone won't jump and say "all Asians are not the same" or things like that, the design doesn't need it, is strong as it is, I say loose the text.

I think I may risk keeping the text. I looked into it and a lot of Asian cultures have their own carp or koi artistic genres. Here's a couple o updates

TheInfamousBaka
TheInfamousBaka profile pic Alumni
1 design submitted -

I really love it on red and I think the kanji looks great! I don't think it really counts as text, it's going to be abstract to most people since they can't read it. Japanese and Chinese both look awesome and I think it just boils down to what you prefer personally. :-)

macdoodle
1 design submitted -

Thank you Lady Baka! You honor the House of Caerbannog with your presence ;)

Butt seriously, thanks for that. I quite like it on red myself and Im really tossed with the options of "text".

Im going with Chinese I think.

Now back to obsessing over every inch of it until I like it...

Thanks again :D

jamesnotjim

Looks great in red and I agree with baka the chinese symbols are more like a design element, great stuff!

quick-brown-fox

quick-brown-fox said:

I know pretty much nothing about this, but i think japanese characters evolved from Chinese. Maybe someone else who knows a bit more can chip in.

I just re read that and corrected myself.

Twiggyhall

LOVE the latest version!!!!

But (don't hate me!) I like the Japanese text better :)

macdoodle
1 design submitted -
quick-brown-fox said:

quick-brown-fox said:

I know pretty much nothing about this, but i think japanese characters evolved from Chinese. Maybe someone else who knows a bit more can chip in.

I just re read that and corrected myself.

HAHA! I read between the lines and figured that's what you meant.

quick-brown-fox

Looking at the Japanese version, I think that each character should be upright. So 90 degrees counter clockwise.

macdoodle
1 design submitted -

Thanks! I was wondering about which way was up.

Kudaman

The Chinese texts mean "the Simpsons family". The Japanese kanji IS Chinese words. Just different pronunciation :) So Chinese text can still be Japanese(in kanji). I am Chinese and I know a little about Japanese lol.

I like the latest version but it kinda losing the original Japanese traditional drawing style. Usually text is written in black and signature in red, on bright background. Current version looks amazing so I think it doesn't really matter :D

Good job man!

macdoodle
1 design submitted -

Awesome, thanks Kudaman! I'm so grateful for your clarification. I'm still trying it out different ways and could still go with darker text. Thanks for the help!!!!

Kudaman

Cheers buddy, I'm glad it helps :D

macdoodle
1 design submitted -

I added some Vitamin R to the mix ;)

macdoodle
1 design submitted -
Twiggyhall said:

LOVE the latest version!!!!

But (don't hate me!) I like the Japanese text better :)

but also...

I'm still up in the air on which version to go with. I'm more than willing to submit the more popular option ;P

goliath72
goliath72 profile pic Alumni
1 design submitted -

Yes!!!

Goto75
Goto75 profile pic Alumni

This will turn out great! I like the version with the Mr Sparkle stamp + japanese katakana text.

macdoodle
1 design submitted -

Cool thanks!! Japanese it is then. I'll post up different versions later if anyone wants to stop back.

macdoodle
1 design submitted -

Bumping for "Malk". Any thoughts? Too obscure/simple/lame? Thanks.

FoodStampDavis
FoodStampDavis profile pic Alumni

I loooooooove the Malk shirt. Love it. I'm glad people are going back to the classic Simpsons days for so many designs.

Twiggyhall

hahahahaha

also Malk FTW

macdoodle
1 design submitted -

:)

Thanks kids! The classics are classics for a reason. Best show ever!

jamesnotjim

I like malk and mr.sparkle why not sub both or do you prefer to work on one?

BeanePod

MALK.....

and so stabby

macdoodle
1 design submitted -
BeanePod said:

MALK.....

and so stabby

HAHA. I love that gif

jamesnotjim said:

I like malk and mr.sparkle why not sub both or do you prefer to work on one?

Thanks man. Im going to sub both. I was just looking to get input on the "Malk" one. To see if it was worth a go.

markantpacheco

Both are great concepts. The fish one is outstanding! it will get a 5 from me when it is up for scoring. Please score my design as it is on its last day of scoring. I appreciate it!

macdoodle
1 design submitted -

Final pre-sub bump.

macdoodle
1 design submitted -

New WIP bump.

Twiggyhall

You're on fire!!!

just like the roof and Bruce Springsteen

macdoodle
1 design submitted -

Thanks guurrl!!

i could just do simpson designs 4eva and be happy :)

macdoodle
1 design submitted -

Updated WIP

Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
No account?