Write 5 Things You'd Change to Make Threadless Better

About the site, or Threadless in general -- write 5 things that you would change that would make Threadless a better company or community.

Here's mine.

1 -- Bring back the "Golden Tag"
Extremely rarely, a shirt is sent out that has been printed with a Golden Tag inside the collar. Owners of this shirt win 1 of each new shirt printed henceforth for an entire year -- all free of course.

2 -- Bring back design thumbnails
(or equivalent) So users can better share their designs in image form.

3 -- Make scoring simple again
I don't know what's going on with the new site and scoring, but I can't even begin to list the ways it messes up. The major offenders; not registering a score, not changing designs after score, and not registering comments (the blogs sometimes do this too). Bring back the old system -- or fix the current one.

4 -- More random goodness in shipments
Hand written thank yous with extra pins and sticker bonuses in your order makes the customer feel more appreciated. Generic thank yous issued to everyone is the lame sauce. Why? For the hell of it and it being awesome. That's why.

5 -- More community influence.
There's lots of chat options out there -- it shouldn't be overly difficult to host a community-based meeting for feedback say... once a month? Discuss upcoming events, the path the company is going, and get reaction/concerns/feedback from the designers and customers.

Watch this
Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
Morkki
Morkki profile pic Alumni
[+duracell-] said:
  1. Bring back youtubes

Dang right. Forgot this! I'll pretend it was my item 6 after butts.

ellygeh
ellygeh profile pic Alumni
Morkki said:
[+duracell-] said:
  1. Bring back youtubes

Oh man I only noticed that was gone after you guys mentioned. Now I'm sad :(! That was so simple yet so nice! Just like the be nice warning when you comment, along with the warning for not posting links on sub comments so the new guys can finally understand it's bad etiquette.

One of the things I miss the most has gotta be powerscore. I would score like lightning! And the super happy feeling when you were done and that hand was there so you could high five it and get your monitor dirty.

jeffreyg
jeffreyg profile pic Alumni

awesome to hear all this feedback, keep it comin

jeffreyg

also, tech works crazy hard everyday and there are some really cool things coming soon :)

Outlaw01
jeffreyg said:

also, tech works crazy hard everyday and there are some really cool things coming soon :)

Soon like with a (TM)? Or soon like within a month?

jeffreyg

SOON! :p

5 -- More community influence. There's lots of chat options out there -- it shouldn't be overly difficult to host a community-based meeting for feedback say... once a month? Discuss upcoming events, the path the company is going, and get reaction/concerns/feedback from the designers and customers.

This sounds like fun

littlem

i agree with a lot of these.

one thing i have to say about this one:

1 -- Bring back the "Golden Tag" Extremely rarely, a shirt is sent out that has been printed with a Golden Tag inside the collar. Owners of this shirt win 1 of each new shirt printed henceforth for an entire year -- all free of course.

that's a buttload of tees nowadays. if they bring back the golden tag or something similar, maybe the recipient gets to choose 1 free print each week or something like that. what say you? something modified like that?

littlem

holy shartz. what happened up there ^ ? hahaha

[+duracell-]

oh you hit the number sign
its there to make people trying to use the number sign look foolish, and also to screw up old blogs
just one of those things that needs fixin'

adamenger
[+duracell-] said:
  1. Fix newline function

2. Edit button. Add one. Give it a time limit if you want.

3. Fix average score. You're adding new 1 - 5 based scoring data on top of old 0 - 5 based data. Therefore its wrong. Start over. Once you blank the averages, make it optional in profiles..you know since is near meaningless anyway.

4. Stop hugging Facebook's nutsack

5. Bring back youtubes

6. Fix downvoter/upvoter problem (i can help you with that but no one cares about my opinion anyway)

7. Fix scoring

8. Fix text preview display

9. More threadstaff videos. Send Speedy out for a cheeseburger or something with a helmet cam. I dont give a damn I just want entertainment.

10. American Ninja Warrior Mondays. We all sit and drink beer while watching and then talk about how we could totally do better.

11. Hire more people to fix things. Fire the people that suck at fixing things.

Is the upvoter/downvoter problem the one that was described earlier - "top scores"? If so, how do you suggest that we fix it?

adamenger
ellygeh said:
Morkki said:
[+duracell-] said:
  1. Bring back youtubes

What was powerscore? Maybe I can dig up the code for that too if there's enough interest in the community.

Oh man I only noticed that was gone after you guys mentioned. Now I'm sad :(! That was so simple yet so nice! Just like the be nice warning when you comment, along with the warning for not posting links on sub comments so the new guys can finally understand it's bad etiquette.

One of the things I miss the most has gotta be powerscore. I would score like lightning! And the super happy feeling when you were done and that hand was there so you could high five it and get your monitor dirty.

adamenger

^Fucked that one up. Here's what I said:

What was powerscore? Maybe I can dig up the code for that too if there's enough interest in the community.

Outlaw01
adamenger said:

Power score was a separate scoring area of the site. It was a very very very basic page that you could score the design by hitting the keys "1" through "5". "6" for "I'd Buy It". Or you could just click the number like normal. The page would then (almost) immediately load the next design in line to be scored. You could run the gauntlet of 500 designs in no time.

adamenger
Outlaw01 said:
adamenger said:

Power score was a separate scoring area of the site. It was a very very very basic page that you could score the design by hitting the keys "1" through "5". "6" for "I'd Buy It". Or you could just click the number like normal. The page would then (almost) immediately load the next design in line to be scored. You could run the gauntlet of 500 designs in no time.

Okay, interesting. Sounds like an awesome idea, who knows why it didn't make it over to the new site :( - let me bring it up with the team and see if it's something we can revive.

littlem
[+duracell-] said:

oh you hit the number sign
its there to make people trying to use the number sign look foolish, and also to screw up old blogs
just one of those things that needs fixin'

i don't think i hit the number sign. let me try the dash...

littlem

yep, underlined with dashes D'OH!

ellygeh
ellygeh profile pic Alumni

Yep! This ol' thing:

adamenger

Okay, what else? :)

[+duracell-]

let ME try

Just 1 dash is all it takes to ruin your day

oh the humanity

[+duracell-]

Is the upvoter/downvoter problem the one that was described earlier - "top scores"? If so, how do you suggest that we fix it?

Not really. I'll post a solution later when im less drunk.

TheInfamousBaka
TheInfamousBaka profile pic Alumni

Deleting blogs would be awesome. And as much as I love sorting by average, if we could just see how our designs are scoring again, it wouldn't be missed.

Abstract Matter
adamenger said:

Hey Adam, I had a thread a while back that some great ideas came out of from the community. Check it out :) Verify new users?

the czar

1 Please please please fix the voting. How can the most important aspect of this site NOT WORK? 2. Golden tags were awesome 3. Bring back user pics of people wearing their shirts. Can you even submit them anymore for STPs? If I had actually taken more than 7 photos of my shirts I would have had like over $100 in credit Damn I'm lazy 4. Staff used to really be in the blogs. Now not so much 5. Let me sort blogs by participated etc on mobile site. Never has worked on iPad or iPhone.

All in all I do feel the new site has gotten better, but the fact that our constant entreaties to fix the voting have been ignored is shameful.

the czar

God the formatting is fucked sometimes too haha

thompson98

I 100% agree with the skinny stats. i would like to see how the serious people are scoring and not how the downvoters are scoring. The golden tee thing has to come back aswell

SteveOramA
SteveOramA profile pic Alumni

This thread is one big 'ole... ... with tons of great suggestions. But seriously, I would like for 3XL shirts to come back. That's probably just me on that one but I'm a giant so...............

Thomas Orrow
Thomas Orrow profile pic Alumni
  • make the scoring system less crashy......problems include score freezing with Ooops something went wrong, stuck on the same page and seemingly being able to score it multiple times

• Not sure about you, but I rarely use this bulletin system it seems slightly boring, maybe something more fun added in the html options row perhaps
    • Still no critique club
  • cyber badges. I would love to see computer designed virtual badges
    (NOT REAL ONES!!!!!). By cyber badge I mean a circle or shield which represents various achievements.

• More baseball tees, trucker caps, socks, boxer shorts, pyjamas and Vans (not sure if that is a good business strategy just a personal preference)
littlem
[+duracell-] said:

let ME try

Just 1 dash is all it takes to ruin your day

oh the humanity

mewlol

celandinestern
celandinestern profile pic Alumni

hahaahh ok, what 90% of these comments are saying is pretty much 'bring back the old site'.

It was simpler and it worked better. Truth.

The upvoting/ downvoting thing is a big problem since forever and is particularly bad now in challenges. There are a million opinions on how it could and whether it should be somehow stopped, but I agree that not allowing for the art to be filtered according to score is a very simple fix that will at least take the target off the top scoring pieces' backs. Cheaters and downvoters usually aren't the brightest or most dedicated of users, they would certainly try less hard if they didn't have a clear guide of their progress.

Don't get me wrong, I love listing the scoring subs by score and seeing how I stack up. I'd miss that if it was gone. But I think it would die for a worthy cause. Also might help me stop obsessing over things I have in scoring.

Manupix
soloyo said:

I have a list of 4 things that are wrong with threadless 1.J 2.E 3.F 4.F

hehehehehe.

1.J is obvious. Who are the others?

XD

Manupix
adamenger said:

Hey guys, I work on the digital team here at Threadless and I'm largely involved with our production infrastructure but I'm really happy to hear about what we can do to make the site better for everyone. I only started in January, so a lot of what you're mentioning hasn't been done for a while I think?

I know scoring has a lot of issues but what other things can we do to bring this back to a place where you'd like to hang again? We're always open to suggestions, and to be honest, most of our time is spent trying to make the site better, so if you turned this into a constructive thread about things the community really wants to see, I'll do my best to take this back to the team and have some serious discussion around all of it.

Hey Adam, that's pretty cool of you to respond ;)

Allow me to be blunt though :/ Around the time of the site overhaul there were a number of similar blogs, some with great extra-argumented feedback and impressively long lists of could-be-fixed stuff. Some of these even caught the eye of staff for a while. All eventually died down without much visible effect.

Jake started an awesome changelog, but stopped updating it after a while. The general feeling in the blogs has been one of disappointment with the way staff has responded to community feedback about the new site.

Let me be as clear as I can: it's not the fact that the site doesn't work well that's most irritating. I'm pretty convinced that a website with all state-of-the-art functionalities is too complicated to be built in-house btw. I've seen similar fails elsewhere. What I personally would blame Tless for, is the non-realization of this problem when there was still time and ways to go back, and the non-listening to the valuable feedback from the community.

I honestly do not think things will change now, further than continuing small-scales fixes as have taken place over the months (voting is still terrible, but less terribly terrible than it was at first). Hopefully this time I'm wrong!

I'll try to find and link some of these old feedback threads later.

digsy
digsy profile pic Alumni

There's a "beta change log" blog skaw posted way back last year with a list of6 things that were to be done as priority - last I checked 4 of them still hadn't been almost a year on! I'm not sure offhand but I think they were search function, 7 day scoring, slow site and visible scores during voting (to the artist only).

Besides those I'd love to see delete blogs working again, the mythical alumni artist dashboard completed, designs back in forums (but only if you fix the speed of voting and commenting first), and down voting dealt with in a meaningful way - every now and then a thread staff pops up and says something like "don't worry guys, we can see it and make sure it doesn't make a difference" but that's not actually good enough imo.

celandinestern

also the whole 'SHHHH! GREAT THINGS ARE COMING SOOOOON!! WINK WINK' thing gets a little old after a year or two. If great things really be coming, announce them and give us something to look forward to - and comment. The new site was also announced in the 'great things are coming' manner, and ended up being a lot of grief for most of us.

fightstacy
fightstacy profile pic Alumni
moosabman said:

3. whoever is in charge of community/etc you are on a roll. I'll admit I was getting pretty burnt out and now I'm having a ton of fun on the forums and community challenges. Whatever that budget is, give them more cause they are winners.

Totally agree, whoever is running these community challenges, give them a budget/a job!

Malhat06
Malhat06 profile pic Alumni
  1. Skinny Stats

2. New members mini quiz. Similar to what you have to do to join iStock Photos. It wouldn't need to be anywhere near as hard or complicated as that, but it is a way of teaching etiquette for posting designs and voting. It could be say 10 pop quiz questions that are easy to answer but gets the message across. Works very well for iStock.

3. Edit comments button like everyone else has said.

4. Power Score

5. I really really miss the critique section.

celandinestern
Malhat06 said:
  1. I really really miss the critique section.

ditto. It was a bug-infested swamp but at least it was there.

taz-pie

Why the fuck can't I search for designs I have commented on? I want to go back and see artist's responses but fuckit I am not fucking googling.

Wharton
Wharton profile pic Alumni
taz-pie said:

Why the fuck can't I search for designs I have commented on? I want to go back and stick the boot into the noobs and finish them off.

Amen.

Manupix
taz-pie said:

Why the fuck can't I search for designs I have commented on? I want to go back and see artist's responses but fuckit I am not fucking googling.

Morkki

The scoring has been working OK for me lately. On heavy traffic days it just all chokes up. The reason why it feels so slow and tedious is that it takes 4-5 seconds to register my vote and move on to the next design. It feels dumb because I can see the next design has already been preloaded and probably a couple of the next ones too.

Morkki

Let's not forget that Powerscore was also buggy as hell. Sure it was faster but I had to restart it often because it kept crapping out on me and commenting through it was hazardous.

littlem
taz-pie said:

i think i mentioned that on the beta thingy. i wish they showed up in my partcipated filter.

littlem

i carnt spel

Outlaw01

the site, I think, needs to be fixed before more peope jot down things they'd change to improve the community

38Sunsets
38Sunsets profile pic Alumni
Outlaw01 said:
38 Sunsets said:

Hi, I do not know the "old site", so I cannot refer to it - I am used to actual version, however my first days here where tricky. Well known bugs could be fixed for sure, but one feature that I would like to see is "edit comment" once it was posted.

it was a golden age. submissions were scored quickly, 0's were still in place. You could delete blogs and check stats. Designs had their own sharing page, and the forums were full of people. Now it's all Mad Max around here.

"it was golden age" wow that sounds really good. When did Threadless passed to the actual version of their website? And was there any community testing of the new version? or just decision to change everything was arbitrary?

i just think about something: maybe, as you call it Outlaw01, "Mad Max" ambiance comes not from the new website but from growing and growing popularity of Threadless? Maybe more people means there are proportionally more people giving shit about wearing "white hat" ... they just think to make quick money, giving shit about being involved positively in here? If that is so ... I do not want to imagine how the raising tension will turn in the future ...

biotwist
biotwist profile pic Alumni

who cares, threadless obviously spent to much money on the shitty site redesign to admit the old site was better

jeffreyg
biotwist said:

who cares, threadless obviously spent to much money on the shitty site redesign to admit the old site was better

I care.

Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
No account?
Join Us